Vista Wireless Connection Problems

Arjan321

Vista Wireless Connection Problems
Hello,

I've bought two brand new Acer Aspire 5102wlmi laptops with Vista
preinstalled.

Connection to my wireless network works fine, but once in while ( once every
~30 minutes) the connection disconnects and connects again, disabling my
internet. Both laptops suffer from this.

An other symptom of this problem is, while playing music in winamp/wmp small
"ticks" are audible, suggesting data loss.

My older laptop, running Windows XP, has no problems whatsoever. No ticks
(same music) and 100% connection time.

Any suggestion?

Specs laptop:
- Acer Aspire 5102wlmi
- Wireless-card: Atheros AR5005G, driver version 7.1.0.90 (latest version as
far as I know)
- IPv6 disabled
- Windows Vista Home Premium

Wireless:
802.11a/b/g/n, with WPA-personal TIPK encription.
Arjan321

RE: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
Oh, and the powersaving mode of the wireless adapter is disabled
Barb Bowman

Re: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
try windows update. Atheros driver 7.2.0.215 would appear to be the
latest driver.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Arjan321

Re: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
Could you give some pointers of where to find those drivers? Windows update
says my version is up to date.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> try windows update. Atheros driver 7.2.0.215 would appear to be the
> latest driver.
>
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 07:52:01 -0700, Arjan321
> <Arjan321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've bought two brand new Acer Aspire 5102wlmi laptops with Vista
> >preinstalled.
> >
> >Connection to my wireless network works fine, but once in while ( once every
> >~30 minutes) the connection disconnects and connects again, disabling my
> >internet. Both laptops suffer from this.
> >
> >An other symptom of this problem is, while playing music in winamp/wmp small
> >"ticks" are audible, suggesting data loss.
> >
> >My older laptop, running Windows XP, has no problems whatsoever. No ticks
> >(same music) and 100% connection time.
> >
> >Any suggestion?
> >
> >Specs laptop:
> >- Acer Aspire 5102wlmi
> >- Wireless-card: Atheros AR5005G, driver version 7.1.0.90 (latest version as
> >far as I know)
> >- IPv6 disabled
> >- Windows Vista Home Premium
> >
> >Wireless:
> >802.11a/b/g/n, with WPA-personal TIPK encription.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

John

Re: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
Many times wireless disconnects are an issue between the computer's wireless
card and the wireless router. See if your router has the latest firmware.
Check your router's web site for any forums where this problem may be being
discussed. Then check the wireless card settings. It's a PITA .

"Arjan321" <Arjan321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've bought two brand new Acer Aspire 5102wlmi laptops with Vista
> preinstalled.
>
> Connection to my wireless network works fine, but once in while ( once
> every
> ~30 minutes) the connection disconnects and connects again, disabling my
> internet. Both laptops suffer from this.
>
> An other symptom of this problem is, while playing music in winamp/wmp
> small
> "ticks" are audible, suggesting data loss.
>
> My older laptop, running Windows XP, has no problems whatsoever. No ticks
> (same music) and 100% connection time.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Specs laptop:
> - Acer Aspire 5102wlmi
> - Wireless-card: Atheros AR5005G, driver version 7.1.0.90 (latest version
> as
> far as I know)
> - IPv6 disabled
> - Windows Vista Home Premium
>
> Wireless:
> 802.11a/b/g/n, with WPA-personal TIPK encription.

Barb Bowman

Re: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
Mine came down automatically from Windows Update, so I don't know
what to tell you.

Are you SURE this is a AR5005G chip as you posted??? You've got some
conflicting info - you mention a/b/g/n and AR5005G (which to the
best of my knowledge is b/g). see:

http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5005G.htm

On Fri, 18 May 2007 10:40:01 -0700, Arjan321
<Arjan321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Could you give some pointers of where to find those drivers? Windows update
>says my version is up to date.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> try windows update. Atheros driver 7.2.0.215 would appear to be the
>> latest driver.
>>
>> On Fri, 18 May 2007 07:52:01 -0700, Arjan321
>> <Arjan321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I've bought two brand new Acer Aspire 5102wlmi laptops with Vista
>> >preinstalled.
>> >
>> >Connection to my wireless network works fine, but once in while ( once every
>> >~30 minutes) the connection disconnects and connects again, disabling my
>> >internet. Both laptops suffer from this.
>> >
>> >An other symptom of this problem is, while playing music in winamp/wmp small
>> >"ticks" are audible, suggesting data loss.
>> >
>> >My older laptop, running Windows XP, has no problems whatsoever. No ticks
>> >(same music) and 100% connection time.
>> >
>> >Any suggestion?
>> >
>> >Specs laptop:
>> >- Acer Aspire 5102wlmi
>> >- Wireless-card: Atheros AR5005G, driver version 7.1.0.90 (latest version as
>> >far as I know)
>> >- IPv6 disabled
>> >- Windows Vista Home Premium
>> >
>> >Wireless:
>> >802.11a/b/g/n, with WPA-personal TIPK encription.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
Arjan321

Re: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
Well, my access point does a/b/g/n, the chip is indeed only b/g.

Perheps the drivers aren't available in my localized Windows..

Also, I can't believe I can't find any websites offering this latest
version.. not even the Acer site

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Mine came down automatically from Windows Update, so I don't know
> what to tell you.
>
> Are you SURE this is a AR5005G chip as you posted??? You've got some
> conflicting info - you mention a/b/g/n and AR5005G (which to the
> best of my knowledge is b/g). see:
>
> http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5005G.htm
>
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 10:40:01 -0700, Arjan321
> <Arjan321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Could you give some pointers of where to find those drivers? Windows update
> >says my version is up to date.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> try windows update. Atheros driver 7.2.0.215 would appear to be the
> >> latest driver.

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Arjan321

Re: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
The point is that my windows XP laptop has none of the problems the two Vista
laptops have. Which, to me, indicates one of the following

- Vista incompatibility
- Old drivers (working on that)
- Serious hardware problems with Acer Laptops

Is there a way for windows to do a check of some sort of wireless connections?

Thanks anyway!

"John" wrote:

> Many times wireless disconnects are an issue between the computer's wireless
> card and the wireless router. See if your router has the latest firmware.
> Check your router's web site for any forums where this problem may be being
> discussed. Then check the wireless card settings. It's a PITA .
>
> "Arjan321" <Arjan321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've bought two brand new Acer Aspire 5102wlmi laptops with Vista
> > preinstalled.
> >
> > Connection to my wireless network works fine, but once in while ( once
> > every
> > ~30 minutes) the connection disconnects and connects again, disabling my
> > internet. Both laptops suffer from this.
> >
> > An other symptom of this problem is, while playing music in winamp/wmp
> > small
> > "ticks" are audible, suggesting data loss.
> >
> > My older laptop, running Windows XP, has no problems whatsoever. No ticks
> > (same music) and 100% connection time.
> >
> > Any suggestion?
> >
> > Specs laptop:
> > - Acer Aspire 5102wlmi
> > - Wireless-card: Atheros AR5005G, driver version 7.1.0.90 (latest version
> > as
> > far as I know)
> > - IPv6 disabled
> > - Windows Vista Home Premium
> >
> > Wireless:
> > 802.11a/b/g/n, with WPA-personal TIPK encription.

John

Re: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
Is the hardware identical between the Vista nd XP laptops? Check device
manager to be sure, especially regarding the wireless card flavour.

> The point is that my windows XP laptop has none of the problems the two
> Vista
> laptops have. Which, to me, indicates one of the following
>
> - Vista incompatibility
> - Old drivers (working on that)
> - Serious hardware problems with Acer Laptops
>
> Is there a way for windows to do a check of some sort of wireless
> connections?
>
> Thanks anyway!
>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> Many times wireless disconnects are an issue between the computer's
>> wireless
>> card and the wireless router. See if your router has the latest firmware.
>> Check your router's web site for any forums where this problem may be
>> being
>> discussed. Then check the wireless card settings. It's a PITA .
>>
>> "Arjan321" <Arjan321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I've bought two brand new Acer Aspire 5102wlmi laptops with Vista
>> > preinstalled.
>> >
>> > Connection to my wireless network works fine, but once in while ( once
>> > every
>> > ~30 minutes) the connection disconnects and connects again, disabling
>> > my
>> > internet. Both laptops suffer from this.
>> >
>> > An other symptom of this problem is, while playing music in winamp/wmp
>> > small
>> > "ticks" are audible, suggesting data loss.
>> >
>> > My older laptop, running Windows XP, has no problems whatsoever. No
>> > ticks
>> > (same music) and 100% connection time.
>> >
>> > Any suggestion?
>> >
>> > Specs laptop:
>> > - Acer Aspire 5102wlmi
>> > - Wireless-card: Atheros AR5005G, driver version 7.1.0.90 (latest
>> > version
>> > as
>> > far as I know)
>> > - IPv6 disabled
>> > - Windows Vista Home Premium
>> >
>> > Wireless:
>> > 802.11a/b/g/n, with WPA-personal TIPK encription.

Barb Bowman

Re: Vista Wireless Connection Problems
can you go into device manager and get the hardware IDs for your
Atheros wireless and post them here?

as stated, it is possible that it is the router side causing the
issues.

BTW, my Acer Ferrari 5000 and 4000s running Ultimate x64 have no
issues hardware wise.

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:49:02 -0700, Arjan321