vista netgear wireless cant connect

jay50

vista netgear wireless cant connect
i have previously installed vista about 2 months ago and couldnt connect with
my wireless(i have all the correct drivers etc) and went back to xp...what i
find a little confusing is the passphrase/key bit which i think is the reason
i cant connect...if i reset my router will i be able to use the default
netgear passphrase of admin/password when setting up the wireless section in
vista?any help would be much appreciated,thankyou
James Egan

Re: vista netgear wireless cant connect

On Fri, 18 May 2007 04:04:00 -0700, jay50
<jay50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have previously installed vista about 2 months ago and couldnt connect with
>my wireless(i have all the correct drivers etc) and went back to xp...what i
>find a little confusing is the passphrase/key bit which i think is the reason
>i cant connect...if i reset my router will i be able to use the default
>netgear passphrase of admin/password when setting up the wireless section in
>vista?any help would be much appreciated,thankyou

That's the username and password for your router's administration not
the encryption key which won't have a default. The protocol should be
selected and the encryption key entered somewhere in the router
wireless settings and the same protocol and key should then be
selected/entered on your computers.

If your netgear router is like mine it won't support WPA-PSK2 with AES
advanced encryption. If so, choose WPA-PSK with TKIP rather than WEP.
It is more secure and has the better key managerment of the remaining
options.

Jim.

csb

"James Egan" wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 04:04:00 -0700, jay50
> <jay50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >i have previously installed vista about 2 months ago and couldnt connect with
> >my wireless(i have all the correct drivers etc) and went back to xp...what i
> >find a little confusing is the passphrase/key bit which i think is the reason
> >i cant connect...if i reset my router will i be able to use the default
> >netgear passphrase of admin/password when setting up the wireless section in
> >vista?any help would be much appreciated,thankyou

> That's the username and password for your router's administration not
> the encryption key which won't have a default. The protocol should be
> selected and the encryption key entered somewhere in the router
> wireless settings and the same protocol and key should then be
> selected/entered on your computers.
>
> If your netgear router is like mine it won't support WPA-PSK2 with AES
> advanced encryption. If so, choose WPA-PSK with TKIP rather than WEP.
> It is more secure and has the better key managerment of the remaining
> options.
>

> Jim.

csb

Re: vista netgear wireless cant connect
it would seem Vista is not PSK2 compatible with Linksys wireless USB Network
adapters, or at least not yet

on the Linksys site, their Vista solution is WPA Personal with TKIP
encription. no mention of PSK2 solution for Vista.

The wireless Linksys Monitor software which loads for Windows XP does not
load for Vista, so you are left with Vista menus which do not include a PSK2
choice!

unless I am missing something, no PSK2 in Vista seems a huge oversight to me.