networking vista computer with 5 xp computers

Superiortruck

networking vista computer with 5 xp computers
i have recently accquired 1 windows vista computer, and all of my computers
using xp with sp2 all see each other, no problems with xp.

problem is the vista computer see's all xp computers and can access them no
problem, but none of the xp computers see's the vista computer. so files on
the vista computer are not accesable by the windows xp computers. any idea's?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: networking vista computer with 5 xp computers
I would check the firewall first. Or this troubleshooting may help,

Vista issuesStep by step troubleshooting . ... Both Vista and XP have been enabled the file sharing and the windows ... Troubleshooting Vista Remote Access Issues ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Superiortruck" <Superiortruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news832F524-466C-4F00-BBCE-009A4066026C@microsoft.com...
i have recently accquired 1 windows vista computer, and all of my computers
using xp with sp2 all see each other, no problems with xp.

problem is the vista computer see's all xp computers and can access them no
problem, but none of the xp computers see's the vista computer. so files on
the vista computer are not accesable by the windows xp computers. any idea's?
Superiortruck

Re: networking vista computer with 5 xp computers
firewall was off, tried leaving it off to get network to work
no success.
any other idea's?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> I would check the firewall first. Or this troubleshooting may help,
>
> Vista issuesStep by step troubleshooting . ... Both Vista and XP have been enabled the file sharing and the windows ... Troubleshooting Vista Remote Access Issues ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Superiortruck" <Superiortruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news832F524-466C-4F00-BBCE-009A4066026C@microsoft.com...
> i have recently accquired 1 windows vista computer, and all of my computers
> using xp with sp2 all see each other, no problems with xp.
>
> problem is the vista computer see's all xp computers and can access them no
> problem, but none of the xp computers see's the vista computer. so files on
> the vista computer are not accesable by the windows xp computers. any idea's?

Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

Re: networking vista computer with 5 xp computers
Hi. Here's another article that might help.

Thanks,
Gloria

--
Gloria Boyer
Windows User Assistance

> firewall was off, tried leaving it off to get network to work
> no success.
> any other idea's?
>

> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
>> I would check the firewall first. Or this troubleshooting may help,
>>
>> Vista issuesStep by step troubleshooting . ... Both Vista and XP have
>> been enabled the file sharing and the windows ... Troubleshooting Vista
>> Remote Access Issues ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm
>>

>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Superiortruck" <Superiortruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news832F524-466C-4F00-BBCE-009A4066026C@microsoft.com...
>> i have recently accquired 1 windows vista computer, and all of my
>> computers
>> using xp with sp2 all see each other, no problems with xp.
>>
>> problem is the vista computer see's all xp computers and can access
>> them no
>> problem, but none of the xp computers see's the vista computer. so
>> files on
>> the vista computer are not accesable by the windows xp computers. any
>> idea's?

John

Re: networking vista computer with 5 xp computers
Control Panel-->Network and Sharing Center. Be sure you're setup
correctly--Network Discovery, ON and File Sharing, ON.

Also be sure the same user is logged into all machines. Remember, Vista has
hidden its ADMINISTRATOR account so a Vusta User with admin. rights may not
be the same as an XP ADMINISTRATOR.

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" <gloriab@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Here's another article that might help.
>
> Thanks,
> Gloria
>
> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance
> Microsoft Corporation
>

> "Superiortruck" <Superiortruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> firewall was off, tried leaving it off to get network to work
>> no success.
>> any other idea's?
>>

>> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>>
>>> I would check the firewall first. Or this troubleshooting may help,
>>>
>>> Vista issuesStep by step troubleshooting . ... Both Vista and XP have
>>> been enabled the file sharing and the windows ... Troubleshooting Vista
>>> Remote Access Issues ...
>>> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm
>>>

>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>> "Superiortruck" <Superiortruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news832F524-466C-4F00-BBCE-009A4066026C@microsoft.com...
>>> i have recently accquired 1 windows vista computer, and all of my
>>> computers
>>> using xp with sp2 all see each other, no problems with xp.
>>>
>>> problem is the vista computer see's all xp computers and can access
>>> them no
>>> problem, but none of the xp computers see's the vista computer. so
>>> files on
>>> the vista computer are not accesable by the windows xp computers. any
>>> idea's?

Superiortruck

Re: networking vista computer with 5 xp computers
tried everyting everyone suggested and so far no success.

"John" wrote:

> Control Panel-->Network and Sharing Center. Be sure you're setup
> correctly--Network Discovery, ON and File Sharing, ON.
>
> Also be sure the same user is logged into all machines. Remember, Vista has
> hidden its ADMINISTRATOR account so a Vusta User with admin. rights may not
> be the same as an XP ADMINISTRATOR.
>
> "Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" <gloriab@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Here's another article that might help.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gloria
> >
> > --
> > Gloria Boyer
> > Windows User Assistance
> > Microsoft Corporation
> >

> > "Superiortruck" <Superiortruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> firewall was off, tried leaving it off to get network to work
> >> no success.
> >> any other idea's?

Charlie

Re: networking vista computer with 5 xp computers
Just a thought. I had a similar problem trying to add a new computer to my
network before I realized I had MAC filtering turned on in my router. I had
forgot about it and felt real stupid after about an hour of trying things.
> tried everyting everyone suggested and so far no success.
>

> "John" wrote:
>
>> Control Panel-->Network and Sharing Center. Be sure you're setup
>> correctly--Network Discovery, ON and File Sharing, ON.
>>
>> Also be sure the same user is logged into all machines. Remember, Vista
>> has
>> hidden its ADMINISTRATOR account so a Vusta User with admin. rights may
>> not
>> be the same as an XP ADMINISTRATOR.
>>
>> "Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" <gloriab@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. Here's another article that might help.
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Gloria
>> >
>> > --
>> > Gloria Boyer
>> > Windows User Assistance
>> > Microsoft Corporation
>> >

>> > "Superiortruck" <Superiortruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

Kim [MS]

Re: networking vista computer with 5 xp computers
Superiortruck,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. Is the problem still occurring for
you? If so, can you please repost the exact error message you're getting?