Auto connect my local area connection at startup

Alex

Auto connect my local area connection at startup
I am running Vista home premium with a broadband dsl local area connection
using PPPoE. My connection is fine except that I can't figure out how to get
Windows to auto connect at startup (I have to do Start -> Connect To , and
then click connect). Is there a way to include this step in the tasks run at
startup (or did I somehow incorrectly set up my connection)?

I really appreciate any advice.
DanW

RE: Auto connect my local area connection at startup
Yes please, I am having the same problem. I just got a new computer for my
parents and I guarantee this is going to be complicated for them unless I can
make it auto-run somehow. With this new Vista style networking view, I can't
make a shortcut to use it in startup programs like I would have in the past.
There's got to be a way however, I'm sure plenty of people buying new
machines still have PPPOE connections to their ISP's.

thanks!!!

"Alex" wrote:

> I am running Vista home premium with a broadband dsl local area connection
> using PPPoE. My connection is fine except that I can't figure out how to get
> Windows to auto connect at startup (I have to do Start -> Connect To , and
> then click connect). Is there a way to include this step in the tasks run at
> startup (or did I somehow incorrectly set up my connection)?
>
> I really appreciate any advice.

Kim [MS]

RE: Auto connect my local area connection at startup
Alex and DanW,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. If you right click on the network
icon in the system tray, choose Network and Sharing Center. Then click on
"Manage network connections" along the left navigation pane. Then, right
click on the connection you'd like to automatically connect to and click,
"Set as Default Connection".

Let me know if that doesn't help.

"DanW" wrote:

> Yes please, I am having the same problem. I just got a new computer for my
> parents and I guarantee this is going to be complicated for them unless I can
> make it auto-run somehow. With this new Vista style networking view, I can't
> make a shortcut to use it in startup programs like I would have in the past.
> There's got to be a way however, I'm sure plenty of people buying new
> machines still have PPPOE connections to their ISP's.
>
> thanks!!!
>
> "Alex" wrote:
>
> > I am running Vista home premium with a broadband dsl local area connection
> > using PPPoE. My connection is fine except that I can't figure out how to get
> > Windows to auto connect at startup (I have to do Start -> Connect To , and
> > then click connect). Is there a way to include this step in the tasks run at
> > startup (or did I somehow incorrectly set up my connection)?
> >
> > I really appreciate any advice.

banker

RE: Auto connect my local area connection at startup
Kim,

I had the exact same problem as described below, but the solution you
described did not work. After bootup, the network icon still shows "Limited
Connectivity". If I click to connect, its fine, but it just won't come up
automatically on startup. The connection from my PC to the ADSL modem is
through Ethernet, not USB.

I had tried placing the Broadband network connection icon in the startup
folder, but that did not work either (so I removed it from there).

Is there anything else I can try.

Thanks,
Banker