Vista networking with machine names..

hurricane_number_one@yahoo.com

Vista networking with machine names..
I have several Vista and XP machines connected in the same network. I
can't get any of the Vista machines to fileshare with any of the other
XP or other Vista machines. On the Vista machines, the other
computers show up under the network browser but when I double click on
them it says it can't find the machine or if I enter the actual path
like \\MY-PC\SharedDocs it says that path doesn't exist. However if I
use the actual IP address like \\192.168.1.100\SharedDocs it works
fine. The same is true for printer sharing.
What's going on??

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista networking with machine names..
Sounds like name resolution issue. have you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Or this troubleshooting may help,

Step by step troubleshooting ...If they would like to access each by using the netbios name, make sure enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. 5. Make sure no firewall/security software block sharing. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=273

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
<hurricane_number_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1179431112.074458.214330@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
I have several Vista and XP machines connected in the same network. I
can't get any of the Vista machines to fileshare with any of the other
XP or other Vista machines. On the Vista machines, the other
computers show up under the network browser but when I double click on
them it says it can't find the machine or if I enter the actual path
like \\MY-PC\SharedDocs it says that path doesn't exist. However if I
use the actual IP address like \\192.168.1.100\SharedDocs it works
fine. The same is true for printer sharing.
What's going on??

hurricane_number_one@yahoo.com

Re: Vista networking with machine names..
That is already enabled. I've read every troubleshooting guide I
could find and no help. These are all brand new Vista machines, I
can't believe MS would make this so difficult.

On May 17, 5:41 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
<nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like name resolution issue. have you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Or this troubleshooting may help,
>
> Step by step troubleshooting ...If they would like to access each by using the netbios name, make sure enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. 5. Make sure no firewall/security software block sharing. ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=273
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com <hurricane_number_...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1179431112.074458.214330@q75g2000hsh.g ooglegroups.com...
>
> I have several Vista and XP machines connected in the same network. I
> can't get any of the Vista machines to fileshare with any of the other
> XP or other Vista machines. On the Vista machines, the other
> computers show up under the network browser but when I double click on
> them it says it can't find the machine or if I enter the actual path
> like \\MY-PC\SharedDocs it says that path doesn't exist. However if I
> use the actual IP address like \\192.168.1.100\SharedDocs it works
> fine. The same is true for printer sharing.
> What's going on??

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista networking with machine names..
Then check the master browser using browstat.exe.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

<nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like name resolution issue. have you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Or this troubleshooting may help,
>
> Step by step troubleshooting ...If they would like to access each by using the netbios name, make sure enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. 5. Make sure no firewall/security software block sharing. ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=273
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com <hurricane_number_...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1179431112.074458.214330@q75g2000hsh.g ooglegroups.com...
>
> I have several Vista and XP machines connected in the same network. I
> can't get any of the Vista machines to fileshare with any of the other
> XP or other Vista machines. On the Vista machines, the other
> computers show up under the network browser but when I double click on
> them it says it can't find the machine or if I enter the actual path
> like \\MY-PC\SharedDocs it says that path doesn't exist. However if I
> use the actual IP address like \\192.168.1.100\SharedDocs it works
> fine. The same is true for printer sharing.
> What's going on??

Kim [MS]

Re: Vista networking with machine names..
hurricane_number_one,

I'm sorrry you're experiencing trouble. Are you still having issues?

"hurricane_number_one@yahoo.com" wrote:

> That is already enabled. I've read every troubleshooting guide I
> could find and no help. These are all brand new Vista machines, I
> can't believe MS would make this so difficult.
>
> On May 17, 5:41 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
> <nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Sounds like name resolution issue. have you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Or this troubleshooting may help,
> >
> > Step by step troubleshooting ...If they would like to access each by using the netbios name, make sure enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. 5. Make sure no firewall/security software block sharing. ...
> > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=273
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com <hurricane_number_...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1179431112.074458.214330@q75g2000hsh.g ooglegroups.com...
> >
> > I have several Vista and XP machines connected in the same network. I
> > can't get any of the Vista machines to fileshare with any of the other
> > XP or other Vista machines. On the Vista machines, the other
> > computers show up under the network browser but when I double click on
> > them it says it can't find the machine or if I enter the actual path
> > like \\MY-PC\SharedDocs it says that path doesn't exist. However if I
> > use the actual IP address like \\192.168.1.100\SharedDocs it works
> > fine. The same is true for printer sharing.
> > What's going on??

hurricane_number_one@yahoo.com

Re: Vista networking with machine names..
Yes, I have not resolved this yet

On Jun 5, 3:48 pm, Kim [MS] <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> hurricane_number_one,
>
> I'm sorrry you're experiencing trouble. Are you still having issues?
>
> "hurricane_number_...@yahoo.com" wrote:
> > That is already enabled. I've read every troubleshooting guide I
> > could find and no help. These are all brand new Vista machines, I
> > can't believe MS would make this so difficult.

> > On May 17, 5:41 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
> > <nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > Sounds like name resolution issue. have you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Or this troubleshooting may help,

> > > Step by step troubleshooting ...If they would like to access each by using the netbios name, make sure enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. 5. Make sure no firewall/security software block sharing. ...
> > > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=273

> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com <hurricane_number_...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1179431112.074458.214330@q75g2000hsh.g ooglegroups.com...

> > > I have several Vista and XP machines connected in the same network. I
> > > can't get any of the Vista machines to fileshare with any of the other
> > > XP or other Vista machines. On the Vista machines, the other
> > > computers show up under the network browser but when I double click on
> > > them it says it can't find the machine or if I enter the actual path
> > > like \\MY-PC\SharedDocs it says that path doesn't exist. However if I
> > > use the actual IP address like \\192.168.1.100\SharedDocs it works
> > > fine. The same is true for printer sharing.
> > > What's going on??

Kim [MS]

Re: Vista networking with machine names..
Then let's begin with the easy stuff. First, you can see your Vista
machines; and you have more than one Vista machine running the final released
version. If so, ensure that both show Network Discover=ON, File Sharing=ON,
and Public Folder Sharing=ON.

Then, move a test doc into your public folder on your Vista A machine. From
the Vista B machine, can you see the Vista A machine? If you double click on
the A machine image in the Network Map, what happens?