Problems sharing Printer or files.

Andy

Problems sharing Printer or files.
I have had this problem with XP and now it is going on with Vista.
MY home network consist of 2 computers in a workgroup. Basic file and
printer sharing. 1 computer is XP Pro and other computer is now Vista
upgraded from XP Pro. Trying to do simple file and print sharing. Vista can
see and access XP machine but XP machine can see but not access Vista
machine. Says the generic message of access denied, password, etc... Neither
machine has a password and both have same account name for login. I use to
be able to do the sharing when both machines were xp and one day it stopped.
No reason or changes made on my part. I thouht after I upgrade to Vista on
the machine the problem may fix itself but it just carried over. I am sure
its a registry problem or networking security issue but I cant find it.

I shared the Vista machine and printer as usual. I notice that on the Vista
machine it talks about password protection sharing . It has an option to
turn this off in the network control panel. Problem is the option is there,
it lets me see the two options to either turn it on or off. Lets me select
the turn it off and then apply button is active but after I hit apply it just
stays the same and does not turn it off. Nothing greyed out, etc... Alll
buttons there and active it just wont apply after I select no password
needed.

Again the Vista can see and access the XP machine with no permissions or
password problems but the XP machine cant access the Vista. The Vista
machine is the one with the printer attached and all the main files that I
need.

Any help would be great.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Problems sharing Printer or files.
1. it is not good idea to use blank password.
2. Make sure you assign permission in the Security tab.
These posts may help,

Solved: Vista is not accessiblePost Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:00 pm Post subject: Solved: Vista is not ... But what I did was to turn on password protection on both computers in the ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...71bbb4 f6e376

Vista: should not use blank ...Vista: should not use blank password for sharing ... thing however -- you cannot have a blank password if passwords are required > for sharing. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...ea0146 9f1f5b

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsA2D78BA-A093-4759-8579-DD1FCB097963@microsoft.com...
[...]

koze

Re: Problems sharing Printer or files.

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
newsA2D78BA-A093-4759-8579-DD1FCB097963@microsoft.com...
>I have had this problem with XP and now it is going on with Vista.
> MY home network consist of 2 computers in a workgroup. Basic file and
> printer sharing. 1 computer is XP Pro and other computer is now Vista
> upgraded from XP Pro. Trying to do simple file and print sharing. Vista
> can
> see and access XP machine but XP machine can see but not access Vista
> machine. Says the generic message of access denied, password, etc...
> Neither
> machine has a password and both have same account name for login. I use
> be able to do the sharing when both machines were xp and one day it
> stopped.
> No reason or changes made on my part. I thouht after I upgrade to Vista
> on
> the machine the problem may fix itself but it just carried over. I am
> sure
> its a registry problem or networking security issue but I cant find it.
>
> I shared the Vista machine and printer as usual. I notice that on the
> Vista
> machine it talks about password protection sharing . It has an option to
> turn this off in the network control panel. Problem is the option is
> there,
> it lets me see the two options to either turn it on or off. Lets me select
> the turn it off and then apply button is active but after I hit apply it
> just
> stays the same and does not turn it off. Nothing greyed out, etc... Alll
> buttons there and active it just wont apply after I select no password
> needed.
>
> Again the Vista can see and access the XP machine with no permissions or
> password problems but the XP machine cant access the Vista. The Vista
> machine is the one with the printer attached and all the main files that I
> need.
>
> Any help would be great.

koze

Re: Problems sharing Printer or files.
One if these two links should give the needed info, one for the Vista
machine the second for other machines:

for other PC's

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net..._fp.mspx#EZOAC

Ko.
"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
newsA2D78BA-A093-4759-8579-DD1FCB097963@microsoft.com...
>I have had this problem with XP and now it is going on with Vista.
> MY home network consist of 2 computers in a workgroup. Basic file and
> printer sharing. 1 computer is XP Pro and other computer is now Vista
> upgraded from XP Pro. Trying to do simple file and print sharing. Vista
> can
> see and access XP machine but XP machine can see but not access Vista
> machine. Says the generic message of access denied, password, etc...
> Neither
> machine has a password and both have same account name for login. I use
> be able to do the sharing when both machines were xp and one day it
> stopped.
> No reason or changes made on my part. I thouht after I upgrade to Vista
> on
> the machine the problem may fix itself but it just carried over. I am
> sure
> its a registry problem or networking security issue but I cant find it.
>
> I shared the Vista machine and printer as usual. I notice that on the
> Vista
> machine it talks about password protection sharing . It has an option to
> turn this off in the network control panel. Problem is the option is
> there,
> it lets me see the two options to either turn it on or off. Lets me select
> the turn it off and then apply button is active but after I hit apply it
> just
> stays the same and does not turn it off. Nothing greyed out, etc... Alll
> buttons there and active it just wont apply after I select no password
> needed.
>
> Again the Vista can see and access the XP machine with no permissions or
> password problems but the XP machine cant access the Vista. The Vista
> machine is the one with the printer attached and all the main files that I
> need.
>
> Any help would be great.

Andy

Re: Problems sharing Printer or files.
I know how to network and share. The problem is not that simple. Yes I know
its more secure to use passwords but in my case I am not needing or wanting
to password protect my systems. The fact that the option to tune off
password protected sharing is there but once set to off and applied it does
not turn it off. It just stays on after the apply button is selected.

"koze" wrote:

> One if these two links should give the needed info, one for the Vista
> machine the second for other machines:
>
> for other PC's
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net..._fp.mspx#EZOAC
>
> Ko.
> "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> newsA2D78BA-A093-4759-8579-DD1FCB097963@microsoft.com...
> >I have had this problem with XP and now it is going on with Vista.
> > MY home network consist of 2 computers in a workgroup. Basic file and
> > printer sharing. 1 computer is XP Pro and other computer is now Vista
> > upgraded from XP Pro. Trying to do simple file and print sharing. Vista
> > can
> > see and access XP machine but XP machine can see but not access Vista
> > machine. Says the generic message of access denied, password, etc...
> > Neither
> > machine has a password and both have same account name for login. I use
> > be able to do the sharing when both machines were xp and one day it
> > stopped.
> > No reason or changes made on my part. I thouht after I upgrade to Vista
> > on
> > the machine the problem may fix itself but it just carried over. I am
> > sure
> > its a registry problem or networking security issue but I cant find it.
> >
> > I shared the Vista machine and printer as usual. I notice that on the
> > Vista
> > machine it talks about password protection sharing . It has an option to
> > turn this off in the network control panel. Problem is the option is
> > there,
> > it lets me see the two options to either turn it on or off. Lets me select
> > the turn it off and then apply button is active but after I hit apply it
> > just
> > stays the same and does not turn it off. Nothing greyed out, etc... Alll
> > buttons there and active it just wont apply after I select no password
> > needed.
> >
> > Again the Vista can see and access the XP machine with no permissions or
> > password problems but the XP machine cant access the Vista. The Vista
> > machine is the one with the printer attached and all the main files that I
> > need.
> >
> > Any help would be great.

koze

Re: Problems sharing Printer or files.
If you are running Vista without a password and XP to, you "Have" to enable
the Guest account and give that overall rights to be able to share the
printer and other files.

Ko.

> [...]
>> > turn this off in the network control panel. Problem is the option is
>> > there,
>> > it lets me see the two options to either turn it on or off. Lets me
>> > select
>> > the turn it off and then apply button is active but after I hit apply
>> > it
>> > just
>> > stays the same and does not turn it off. Nothing greyed out, etc...
>> > Alll
>> > buttons there and active it just wont apply after I select no password
>> > needed.
>> >
>> > Again the Vista can see and access the XP machine with no permissions
>> > or
>> > password problems but the XP machine cant access the Vista. The Vista
>> > machine is the one with the printer attached and all the main files

Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

Re: Problems sharing Printer or files.
Hi Andy. Vista actually requires a password for file and printer sharing.
It's not optional, even if you have password-protected sharing off.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Gloria

--