Packet loss in regular intervals. (wlan?)

superemu

Packet loss in regular intervals. (wlan?)
I've tried the gaming section, but really this belongs here:

Vista drops packet every minute or so. I can't confirm the exact time frame
but it happens in regular intervals. I've been told it's a WLAN issue.
Tried turning it off through cmd with admin rights, but it didn't solve the
problem. I also tried using a program called "Vista anti lag". also did not
solve the problem. so it doesn't seem to be a WLAN problem. But I'm not
entirely sure. searching resulted in many old posts, but they always ended
short because original posters stopped responding to helpers.

I'm running evga 680i mobo, Belkin wireless g usb (also have netgear pci
wireless g and linksys wireless g usb). Vista 32-bit.
Kim [MS]

RE: Packet loss in regular intervals. (wlan?)
superemu,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. Differences in the networking
stack between XP and Vista have exposed a lot of router bugs which were
hitherto hidden.

Vista uses UPnP much more heavily than XP ever did, and we've found that a
lot of routers have suboptimal UPnP implementations, causing them to crash.

1. Does this happen on both a wired connection to the router AND a wireless
connection?

2. when Vista "loses" connection, does it come back automatically, or do you
have to reboot your router? Do the other xp machines also lose
connectivity?

3. If ONLY the vista machine loses connectivity, then there is an issue with
your vista machine. Make sure your drivers are all up to date. If
wireless, make sure you have the latest drivers for your card. Go to
linksys' website and verifiy that what you've got is the latest.

4. While you're there, make sure you have the latest firmware for your
router. We found a lot of bugs in router firmware during development, and
the vendors posted a lot of firmware updates.

5. Then, try running the router tool at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx, and see if it
passes the tests.

If we can narrow the issue down to your router, that is, that when Vista
loses connectivity ALL the machines (xp too) lose connectivity, then there
are some things worth trying:

A possible solution worth trying is to turn of UPnP. This can be done on
the router (you would have to log onto the routers config page, find out
where it has the UPnP on/off switch, and turn it off) or from the machine
itself.

You can also try disabling window scaling.

So, please try these out:

1. Go to the webtool, and when the test is finished, click on the "view
detailed report" link, and copy that data off & save it.
2. turn off UPnP, either on the router or on the vista machine:
from an elevated command prompt,type the following:
a. sc config SSDPSRV start= disabled
b. net stop ssdpsrv <or> reboot the system
3. Try your test again. If it still fails after some perioed of time, turn
off Window Scaling:
From an elevated command prompt, type the following:
a. netsh in tcp set gl auto=di
<no reboot required>

(from original post by KarlF).

"superemu" wrote:

> I've tried the gaming section, but really this belongs here:
>
> Vista drops packet every minute or so. I can't confirm the exact time frame
> but it happens in regular intervals. I've been told it's a WLAN issue.
> Tried turning it off through cmd with admin rights, but it didn't solve the
> problem. I also tried using a program called "Vista anti lag". also did not
> solve the problem. so it doesn't seem to be a WLAN problem. But I'm not
> entirely sure. searching resulted in many old posts, but they always ended
> short because original posters stopped responding to helpers.
>
> I'm running evga 680i mobo, Belkin wireless g usb (also have netgear pci
> wireless g and linksys wireless g usb). Vista 32-bit.

chicken-

Re: Packet loss in regular intervals. (wlan?)

I would just like to say that I am experiencing the same issue. I have
been using Vista for about 2 months now, and I just changed internet
services due to ping instability and packetloss. Now that I have DSL, I
noticed when I tested on XP I do not get any packetloss, but on Vista I
consistantly get random timeouts. Now I'm wondering if I switched
internet services just because of this horrible bug in Vista.

I have tried changing all of the options there are as far as the auto
tuning and congestion features and nothing fixes it. It's ok, in about
a year we'll have another new OS with new bugs to work on, lolz
micro$oft

--
chicken-