Networking in Vista

Hedgy

Networking in Vista
It is easy to set up a network in xp using the network setup wizard. The ONLY
wizards I see in Vista are for wireless. What if you have a wired router not
wireless, Finding useful information that an end user can use is extremely
hard on the forum. It seems almost everyon is having trouble getting there
Vista machine to work with anything els. Can we please bring back the netowrk
wizard so HOME NETWORKS can get setup.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...orking_sharing
To Old To . . .

RE: Networking in Vista
I am not sure Microsoft is really listening. They have there own path and our
path isn't considered. What we need in an OS is not what Microsoft has
envisioned. It is clear that the security part they can't seem to fix, so
they have to have us ok our every move on any program we open to make sure
that we want to open a program and that it isn't caused from spyware or a
virus. The problems that I have encountered over that past couple of weeks
that I have had to fix, isn't for the standard home user to figure out. And a
mess for us IT guys to make work with existing OS products. This hasn't and
won't be a smooth transition for anyone.

Best of luck.

"Hedgy" wrote:

> It is easy to set up a network in xp using the network setup wizard. The ONLY
> wizards I see in Vista are for wireless. What if you have a wired router not
> wireless, Finding useful information that an end user can use is extremely
> hard on the forum. It seems almost everyon is having trouble getting there
> Vista machine to work with anything els. Can we please bring back the netowrk
> wizard so HOME NETWORKS can get setup.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...orking_sharing

Kim [MS]

RE: Networking in Vista
To Old To . . . and Hedgy,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. We've spent a lot of time listening
to our end users as we were building Vista. All of the user interface
changes are the result of hearing from our average users - those who aren't
'techies'. During the MVP Summit in March, we gave a number of talks on the
usabiity testing we did around networking in Vista, and how we ended up with
the designs you see today. We also explained why file and printer sharing
changed so much between XP and Vista -- so that Vista was more secure by
default. This is why we deprecated simple file sharing (which is by default
in XP). Yes, things are different, but we think (and a number of the MVP's
and users we worked with agree) that these changes are good. The link below
explains a bit about the cause of the changes in Vista:

That's not to say we can't do better. Microsoft employees continue to
monitor and listen to customer feedback. If you'd like to become more
engaged with our development process (review early designs, provide feedback
on builds, etc.), then discover the rewards of becoming an MVP. Our MVP's
and TechBeta audience (those who participate in our Beta program) see our
early pre-public Beta builds and a large number of interim builds until
release, and we absolutely value and listen to their feedback. At Microsoft,
we know that if we don't please our users, we will lose them; and we value
each of our users - from the techie to the technically intimidated. We want
both of them to feel comfortable using Windows. But as you can imagine, it's
hard to design software for every technical level. It's something we
continue to wrestle with and work to improve.

If it wasn't for our users, we wouldn't be here. Please keep your feedback
coming.