Frustrated and No Help - Cannot ping netbios name or localhost

To Old To . . .

Frustrated and No Help - Cannot ping netbios name or localhost
OK.
8 hours later and $69 down the drain and no answers.
Cannot ping netbios name or localhost.

No tools like netdiag for Vista.

All Services are running. Winsock and tcp/ip have been repaired. Permissions
have been checked. I have compared this computer with another and all the
services are running. Were do I go from here. Very frustrated. 4 days and
still no answers.
I can ping the internet, but not a friendly name. @#$%^& Vista. Microsoft
was no help and they wrote this. I am a Network Administrator and have done
this for years. I have many hours of training and certs.
So what am I and everyone missing here. I am getting to old for this probably.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Frustrated and No Help - Cannot ping netbios name or localhost
If turn off all firewall and security software can you ping it by IP?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AE93EA0-A028-4CB0-B4C5-CA0409C0B059@microsoft.com...
OK.
8 hours later and $69 down the drain and no answers.
Cannot ping netbios name or localhost.

No tools like netdiag for Vista.

All Services are running. Winsock and tcp/ip have been repaired. Permissions
have been checked. I have compared this computer with another and all the
services are running. Were do I go from here. Very frustrated. 4 days and
still no answers.
I can ping the internet, but not a friendly name. @#$%^& Vista. Microsoft
was no help and they wrote this. I am a Network Administrator and have done
this for years. I have many hours of training and certs.
So what am I and everyone missing here. I am getting to old for this probably.

To Old To . . .

Re: Frustrated and No Help - Cannot ping netbios name or localhost
I can ping 4.2.2.2 with no problem. I just can't ping any friendly name. i.e.
yahoo.com localhost, or the computers NetBios Name, etc. I do a repair, Vista
says it is ok? But, I don't have the internet. A Red X appears and it tells
me that I have local access only.

Thanks for replying

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> If turn off all firewall and security software can you ping it by IP?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AE93EA0-A028-4CB0-B4C5-CA0409C0B059@microsoft.com...
> OK.
> 8 hours later and $69 down the drain and no answers.
> Cannot ping netbios name or localhost.
>
> No tools like netdiag for Vista.
>
> All Services are running. Winsock and tcp/ip have been repaired. Permissions
> have been checked. I have compared this computer with another and all the
> services are running. Were do I go from here. Very frustrated. 4 days and
> still no answers.
> I can ping the internet, but not a friendly name. @#$%^& Vista. Microsoft
> was no help and they wrote this. I am a Network Administrator and have done
> this for years. I have many hours of training and certs.
> So what am I and everyone missing here. I am getting to old for this probably

PTravel

news7EA30F1-7260-45A9-87AD-9399630F2678@microsoft.com...
>I can ping 4.2.2.2 with no problem. I just can't ping any friendly name.
>i.e.
> yahoo.com localhost, or the computers NetBios Name, etc. I do a repair,
> Vista
> says it is ok? But, I don't have the internet. A Red X appears and it
> tells
> me that I have local access only.
>
> Thanks for replying

I've been having similar problems. I've found a number of partial cures. I
don't know whether I've finally managed to fix the problem permanently. Try
this:

1. Programs that install context menus can interfere with networking. Why?
I don't know. I used a program called ShellExView (free download), which
gave an easy interface for disabling context menu additions. I disabled
most everything that wasn't a Microsoft program. This helped, but wasn't a
full cure.

2. I had tried Sphinx firewall. It appeared to interfere with wireless
networking. I removed it. However, either it didn't uninstall entirely or
it was partially recovered when I did a restore. I discovered this when
Security Center gave a "don't run two firewalls at once" warning. I
re-installed Sphinx, then uninstalled it, removed all traces from the
registry with RegSupremePro and manually deleted its directory from
Programs.

3. I deleted all residual files of programs I've uninstalled from Programs.

4. I used RegSupremePro to remove all registry entries for uninstalled
programs.

5. I examined Processes carefully and made sure nothing was running that
shouldn't be.

6. I disabled IPv6 on the network adapter that was giving me the problem (a
wireless adapter).

7. I edited RegEdit to disable the Broadcast flag (Microsoft has
directions).

Since I did all of this, I find that I'm not having "local access only"
internet issues (right now, I've only access to networks via the wireless
adapter -- I don't know whether the wired adapters were effected). I also
find that my internet access is much, much faster. Hopefully, I've fixed
whatever was troubling Vista (probably a combination of factors).

I have an OEM installation of Vista Business, so I couldn't call Microsoft
support. Sony support ran me through endless cycles of flushing the DNS
cache, re-installing the adapter, and all sorts of other obvious stuff, none
of which worked. A lot of what I tried above (and that, unlike Sony's
suggestions, appeared to work) were culled from several hours of internet
searching. Apparently, this Vista problem is relatively common.

Good luck.

> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
>> If turn off all firewall and security software can you ping it by IP?
>>
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> OK.
>> 8 hours later and $69 down the drain and no answers.
>> Cannot ping netbios name or localhost.
>>
>> No tools like netdiag for Vista.
>>
>> All Services are running. Winsock and tcp/ip have been repaired.
>> Permissions
>> have been checked. I have compared this computer with another and all
>> the
>> services are running. Were do I go from here. Very frustrated. 4 days
>> and
>> still no answers.
>> I can ping the internet, but not a friendly name. @#$%^& Vista.
>> Microsoft
>> was no help and they wrote this. I am a Network Administrator and have
>> done
>> this for years. I have many hours of training and certs.
>> So what am I and everyone missing here. I am getting to old for this
>> probably

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Frustrated and No Help - Cannot ping netbios name or localhost
Thank you for the input. This is a good way to troubleshoot. This how to may help,

How to run Windows OS with a clean ...How to run Windows OS with a clean boot ... when you cannot determine the cause of the issue, you may run Windows Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Network. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=57

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message news:%23S8kS6EmHHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> [...]

>> OK.
>> 8 hours later and $69 down the drain and no answers.
>> Cannot ping netbios name or localhost.
>>
>> No tools like netdiag for Vista.
>>
>> All Services are running. Winsock and tcp/ip have been repaired.
>> Permissions
>> have been checked. I have compared this computer with another and all
>> the
>> services are running. Were do I go from here. Very frustrated. 4 days
>> and
>> still no answers.
>> I can ping the internet, but not a friendly name. @#$%^& Vista.
>> Microsoft
>> was no help and they wrote this. I am a Network Administrator and have
>> done
>> this for years. I have many hours of training and certs.
>> So what am I and everyone missing here. I am getting to old for this

To Old To . . .

Re: Frustrated and No Help - Cannot ping netbios name or localhost
Well, with microsoft support, we did a repair install, etc and no help.

net config server

server name \\MYPC
server is active on
it show the correct adapter interface
server hidden no

net config worksatation

computer name \\MYPC
Full computer name MYPC
workstation active on
show the correct adapter interface
workstation domain workgroup
logon domain MYPC

nbtstat -n

MYPC unique registered
workgroup group registered

so with this I should be able to ping MYPC or localhost

> [...]

> >> OK.
> >> 8 hours later and $69 down the drain and no answers.
> >> Cannot ping netbios name or localhost.
> >>
> >> No tools like netdiag for Vista.
> >>
> >> All Services are running. Winsock and tcp/ip have been repaired.
> >> Permissions
> >> have been checked. I have compared this computer with another and all
> >> the
> >> services are running. Were do I go from here. Very frustrated. 4 days
> >> and
> >> still no answers.
> >> I can ping the internet, but not a friendly name. @#$%^& Vista.
> >> Microsoft
> >> was no help and they wrote this. I am a Network Administrator and have
> >> done
> >> this for years. I have many hours of training and certs.
> >> So what am I and everyone missing here. I am getting to old for this

To Old To . . .

Re: Frustrated and No Help - Cannot ping netbios name or localhost
Still have the problem and I am looking for some ideas.

Still cannot ping localhost. I know it has to be a Vista DNS Client problem,
but not sure how to fix it.