Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Finding a network w/ Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
KBJM
 

Posts: n/a
Finding a network w/ Vista
I've spent way to much time trying to find this answer......We have two
offices.....each has a domain.....in XP when you mapped network drives the
other office showed up and I had access to their server to map
drives......now w/ Vista I can't figure out how to connect to the other
office's server......It doesn't show up in the list of computers like it does
w/ XP.....how can i get mapped to the other office???....I can ping the
server in the other office and i get a reply.....

TIA!!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
Robert L [MVP - Networking]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Finding a network w/ Vista
What do you receive if you do net use \\remoteserverIP?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"KBJM" <KBJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0685A2D-9A67-4802-966A-7A4D6225BF6D@microsoft.com...
I've spent way to much time trying to find this answer......We have two
offices.....each has a domain.....in XP when you mapped network drives the
other office showed up and I had access to their server to map
drives......now w/ Vista I can't figure out how to connect to the other
office's server......It doesn't show up in the list of computers like it does
w/ XP.....how can i get mapped to the other office???....I can ping the
server in the other office and i get a reply.....

TIA!!

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
Chuck
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Finding a network w/ Vista
On Wed, 16 May 2007 09:54:01 -0700, KBJM <KBJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've spent way to much time trying to find this answer......We have two
>offices.....each has a domain.....in XP when you mapped network drives the
>other office showed up and I had access to their server to map
>drives......now w/ Vista I can't figure out how to connect to the other
>office's server......It doesn't show up in the list of computers like it does
>w/ XP.....how can i get mapped to the other office???....I can ping the
>server in the other office and i get a reply.....
>
>TIA!!


Is your Vista computer joined to the domain in your office? Can you see servers
in your domain from this computer? Can you see the server in the other domain
from other computers in this domain? Can you see this computer from other
computers?

Is the Network Location Type set to Private or Domain?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
KBJM
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Finding a network w/ Vista
I don't understand what that is?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> What do you receive if you do net use \\remoteserverIP?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "KBJM" <KBJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0685A2D-9A67-4802-966A-7A4D6225BF6D@microsoft.com...
> I've spent way to much time trying to find this answer......We have two
> offices.....each has a domain.....in XP when you mapped network drives the
> other office showed up and I had access to their server to map
> drives......now w/ Vista I can't figure out how to connect to the other
> office's server......It doesn't show up in the list of computers like it does
> w/ XP.....how can i get mapped to the other office???....I can ping the
> server in the other office and i get a reply.....
>
> TIA!!
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
KBJM
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Finding a network w/ Vista
Is your Vista computer joined to the domain in your office? Yes

Can you see servers in your domain from this computer? Yes....Works fine in
the office here....

Can you see the server in the other domain from other computers in this
domain? Yes but they all are XP....(we recently got two new computers w/
Vista)

Can you see this computer from other computers? Yes.....

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2007 09:54:01 -0700, KBJM <KBJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've spent way to much time trying to find this answer......We have two
> >offices.....each has a domain.....in XP when you mapped network drives the
> >other office showed up and I had access to their server to map
> >drives......now w/ Vista I can't figure out how to connect to the other
> >office's server......It doesn't show up in the list of computers like it does
> >w/ XP.....how can i get mapped to the other office???....I can ping the
> >server in the other office and i get a reply.....
> >
> >TIA!!

>
> Is your Vista computer joined to the domain in your office? Can you see servers
> in your domain from this computer? Can you see the server in the other domain
> from other computers in this domain? Can you see this computer from other
> computers?
>
> Is the Network Location Type set to Private or Domain?
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2007
Gloria Boyer [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Finding a network w/ Vista
What Robert is asking is:

at a command prompt, type this:

net use remoteserverip

press Enter,

and then post the results here.

Thanks!

--
Gloria Boyer
Windows User Assistance team
Microsoft Corporation

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2007
KBJM
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Finding a network w/ Vista
I get the following....

System error 67 has occured.
The network can not be found

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" wrote:

> What Robert is asking is:
>
> at a command prompt, type this:
>
> net use remoteserverip
>
> press Enter,
>
> and then post the results here.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance team
> Microsoft Corporation
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding mail after a reinstall of vista Finbarr Sweeney microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 05-07-2007 16:17
finding a site to download music that is vista compatible,likelime =?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW4gbGVzbmljaw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 04-01-2007 18:54
MS reward for finding a Vista Bug? =?Utf-8?B?eGlvd2Fu?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 18 03-13-2007 22:05
Finding Vista Ultimate Released Version SteveC microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 02-28-2007 19:56
finding IP number or something else of network printer for firewall m j o microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 02-07-2007 21:45




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:47.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120