Explorer crashes when trying to open a folder on a shared folder on a Win 2003 server

TheMackenzie

Explorer crashes when trying to open a folder on a shared folder on a Win 2003 server

Hello,

I have a domain which has about 30 computers with windows XP. Today I
received the first computer equipped with windows vista business.
Installing the computer and connecting it to the domain, worked great.
I logged on to the client pc with the administrator account for the
domain. I can see al the computers on the network and also all the
shares on the windows server 2003 which acts as a file server. When i
access one of these shares I get to see all of the folders and files in
this share. NOW it happens, when i try to enter a folder, the explorer
ALWAYS crashes. I've tried login in with other users, administrator,
nothing seems to help. I've even tried waiting for half an hour...
Nothing helps. Strangely enough when i access a shared folder on another
client pc everything works fine. So I think it has something to do with
security. The event viewer doesn't give me any hints.

Remember, this is a clean install, so no other software has been
installed yet, nor any anti-virus or firewall...

ANY help with be gladly appreciated, for the moment I have installed XP
on this PC and everything works fine, but I would like to be able to
connect vista computers in the future...

Greetings,
Brian

--
TheMackenzie
Hurricane Andrew

Re: Explorer crashes when trying to open a folder on a shared folder on a Win 2003 server
Not much in the way of a solution, but at least know that you're not alone.
This has been occuring with my one Vista client, though I'm running Longhorn
on my domain, not Server 2003. As with your situation, I don't have these
issues with my XP clients. One suggestion was to disable ipv6, which I've
done but haven't seen any benefit to date.

I've even had explorer crash at startup on the Vista client. Very
frustrating, but I plan to keep looking.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

"TheMackenzie" <TheMackenzie.2qole8@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I have a domain which has about 30 computers with windows XP. Today I
> received the first computer equipped with windows vista business.
> Installing the computer and connecting it to the domain, worked great.
> I logged on to the client pc with the administrator account for the
> domain. I can see al the computers on the network and also all the
> shares on the windows server 2003 which acts as a file server. When i
> access one of these shares I get to see all of the folders and files in
> this share. NOW it happens, when i try to enter a folder, the explorer
> ALWAYS crashes. I've tried login in with other users, administrator,
> nothing seems to help. I've even tried waiting for half an hour...
> Nothing helps. Strangely enough when i access a shared folder on another
> client pc everything works fine. So I think it has something to do with
> security. The event viewer doesn't give me any hints.
>
> Remember, this is a clean install, so no other software has been
> installed yet, nor any anti-virus or firewall...
>
> ANY help with be gladly appreciated, for the moment I have installed XP
> on this PC and everything works fine, but I would like to be able to
> connect vista computers in the future...
>
> Greetings,
> Brian
>

> --
> TheMackenzie

TheMackenzie

Re: Explorer crashes when trying to open a folder on a shared folder on a Win 2003 server

It's "comforting" to know I'm not alone in this situation. Disabling
ipv6 was also one of the things I've tried already, to no aveil. I'm the
network IT-manager of the company so there is no way I'm going to
install a computer which isn't able to use the network... Is this your
home network you are talking about Andrew? Can you reach the network
some of the time, because I have tried for about a hundred times and it
never worked...

--
TheMackenzie
Hurricane Andrew

Re: Explorer crashes when trying to open a folder on a shared folder on a Win 2003 server
Yes, it is my home network. Also, most of the time I can reach the network
fine. I have no trouble accessing user folders (I've applied folder
redirection for Documents). It seem to only occur with the larger shares
I've setup for music and software files.

I, too, am the IT manager at my company, and the good news is that there
Vista seems to play fine with the network. I've had no issues at all there,
where we're running Windows 2003.

It "seems" that it might have something to do with the DFS service. I'm
going to try and troubleshoot that over the next day or two when I get some
free time (yeah, "free" time.....if only...). I'll let you know if I come
up with anything.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE