Pinging one server within the same subnet fails but works in anoth

Matt Wilson

Pinging one server within the same subnet fails but works in anoth
Hello, first of all id like to say im quite techincal so the obvious things
like firewalls have been covered.

We have one 2003 server sp2 running exchange and some new laptops running
Vista business, we also have 3 network subnets ie 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3.
Whenever a Vista machine is on the 10.1 subnet (as is the exchange server)
it cannot ping the exchange server, the odd one packet might get through but
generally none do although pinging works fine on the 10.2 and 10.3.

Now your going to say this is a network problem but no windows xp machines
on the 10.1 have problems communicating with the server and we have actually
plugged a vista laptop into the same switch as the server and it still fails.

We have done along of troubleshooting on the server but nothing puts towards
this sort of error.
any ideas?
koze

Re: Pinging one server within the same subnet fails but works in anoth
I should say take a look at this, maybe this will help:

Ko.

"Matt Wilson" <Matt Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello, first of all id like to say im quite techincal so the obvious
> things
> like firewalls have been covered.
>
> We have one 2003 server sp2 running exchange and some new laptops running
> Vista business, we also have 3 network subnets ie 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3.
> Whenever a Vista machine is on the 10.1 subnet (as is the exchange server)
> it cannot ping the exchange server, the odd one packet might get through
> but
> generally none do although pinging works fine on the 10.2 and 10.3.
>
> Now your going to say this is a network problem but no windows xp machines
> on the 10.1 have problems communicating with the server and we have
> actually
> plugged a vista laptop into the same switch as the server and it still
> fails.
>
> We have done along of troubleshooting on the server but nothing puts
> towards
> this sort of error.
> any ideas?

Matt Wilson

Re: Pinging one server within the same subnet fails but works in a
We use an active directory domain so that doesn't really apply

kind regards
Matt

"koze" wrote:

> I should say take a look at this, maybe this will help:
>
> Ko.
>
> "Matt Wilson" <Matt Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > Hello, first of all id like to say im quite techincal so the obvious
> > things
> > like firewalls have been covered.
> >
> > We have one 2003 server sp2 running exchange and some new laptops running
> > Vista business, we also have 3 network subnets ie 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3.
> > Whenever a Vista machine is on the 10.1 subnet (as is the exchange server)
> > it cannot ping the exchange server, the odd one packet might get through
> > but
> > generally none do although pinging works fine on the 10.2 and 10.3.
> >
> > Now your going to say this is a network problem but no windows xp machines
> > on the 10.1 have problems communicating with the server and we have
> > actually
> > plugged a vista laptop into the same switch as the server and it still
> > fails.
> >
> > We have done along of troubleshooting on the server but nothing puts
> > towards
> > this sort of error.
> > any ideas?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Pinging one server within the same subnet fails but works in anoth
You may want to use tracert command to find out where the traffic goes.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Matt Wilson" <Matt Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5EB900C-87BA-43F7-91C8-812A1DF68153@microsoft.com...
[...]

It's on the same subnet, its fails.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> You may want to use tracert command to find out where the traffic goes.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Matt Wilson" <Matt Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5EB900C-87BA-43F7-91C8-812A1DF68153@microsoft.com...
> Hello, first of all id like to say im quite techincal so the obvious things
> like firewalls have been covered.
>
> We have one 2003 server sp2 running exchange and some new laptops running
> Vista business, we also have 3 network subnets ie 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3.
> Whenever a Vista machine is on the 10.1 subnet (as is the exchange server)
> it cannot ping the exchange server, the odd one packet might get through but
> generally none do although pinging works fine on the 10.2 and 10.3.
>
> Now your going to say this is a network problem but no windows xp machines
> on the 10.1 have problems communicating with the server and we have actually
> plugged a vista laptop into the same switch as the server and it still fails.
>
> We have done along of troubleshooting on the server but nothing puts towards
> this sort of error.
> any ideas?

Matt Wilson

Update
Update

Vista clients can ping any host on the network except the exchange server
(W2k3 SP2 – Exchange 2003 SP2) while on the same subnet.

If the machine is left for 5 minutes or so the first ping will succeed, but
reaming will never arrive. (and vice versa – leave the exchange server for 5
minutes and the first ping to the vista client will pass, then the remaining
will fail)

Name resolution is not an issue as the same happens if using IP address only.

Move the same Vista client to a subnet not the same as the exchange server
and connection is fine.

Ethereal running on both server and vista show – first ping successful the
rest fail. Each machine shows that the packets leave the machine and the
first arrive, with the next 3 leaving but never arriving.

"Matt Wilson" wrote:

> It's on the same subnet, its fails.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > You may want to use tracert command to find out where the traffic goes.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Matt Wilson" <Matt Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5EB900C-87BA-43F7-91C8-812A1DF68153@microsoft.com...
> > Hello, first of all id like to say im quite techincal so the obvious things
> > like firewalls have been covered.
> >
> > We have one 2003 server sp2 running exchange and some new laptops running
> > Vista business, we also have 3 network subnets ie 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3.
> > Whenever a Vista machine is on the 10.1 subnet (as is the exchange server)
> > it cannot ping the exchange server, the odd one packet might get through but
> > generally none do although pinging works fine on the 10.2 and 10.3.
> >
> > Now your going to say this is a network problem but no windows xp machines
> > on the 10.1 have problems communicating with the server and we have actually
> > plugged a vista laptop into the same switch as the server and it still fails.
> >
> > We have done along of troubleshooting on the server but nothing puts towards
> > this sort of error.
> > any ideas?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Update
Posting the result of ipconfig /all on Vista may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"Matt Wilson" wrote:

> It's on the same subnet, its fails.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > You may want to use tracert command to find out where the traffic goes.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Matt Wilson" <Matt Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5EB900C-87BA-43F7-91C8-812A1DF68153@microsoft.com...
> > Hello, first of all id like to say im quite techincal so the obvious things
> > like firewalls have been covered.
> >
> > We have one 2003 server sp2 running exchange and some new laptops running
> > Vista business, we also have 3 network subnets ie 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3.
> > Whenever a Vista machine is on the 10.1 subnet (as is the exchange server)
> > it cannot ping the exchange server, the odd one packet might get through but
> > generally none do although pinging works fine on the 10.2 and 10.3.
> >
> > Now your going to say this is a network problem but no windows xp machines
> > on the 10.1 have problems communicating with the server and we have actually
> > plugged a vista laptop into the same switch as the server and it still fails.
> >
> > We have done along of troubleshooting on the server but nothing puts towards
> > this sort of error.
> > any ideas?

Matt Wilson

Re: Update
The domain and some IPs have been masked

H:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : simon
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : domain.co.uk
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.co.uk
co.uk

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.co.uk
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit
Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-A8-60-7E-19
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.x.252(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 May 2007 08:57:35
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 24 May 2007 08:57:35
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.x.X
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.x.x
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.x.x
10.1.x.x
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.1.x.x
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.co.uk
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.domain.co.uk
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:10.1.1.252%19(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.X.XX
10.1.x.XX
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Posting the result of ipconfig /all on Vista may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Matt Wilson" <MattWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1AE302AF-9928-4ADB-84BA-E29918146E10@microsoft.com...
> Update
>
> Vista clients can ping any host on the network except the exchange server
> (W2k3 SP2 – Exchange 2003 SP2) while on the same subnet.
>
> If the machine is left for 5 minutes or so the first ping will succeed, but
> reaming will never arrive. (and vice versa – leave the exchange server for 5
> minutes and the first ping to the vista client will pass, then the remaining
> will fail)
>
> Name resolution is not an issue as the same happens if using IP address only.
>
> Move the same Vista client to a subnet not the same as the exchange server
> and connection is fine.
>
> Ethereal running on both server and vista show – first ping successful the
> rest fail. Each machine shows that the packets leave the machine and the
> first arrive, with the next 3 leaving but never arriving.
>

> "Matt Wilson" wrote:
>
> > It's on the same subnet, its fails.
> >
> > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
> >
> > > You may want to use tracert command to find out where the traffic goes.
> > >
> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > > "Matt Wilson" <Matt Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5EB900C-87BA-43F7-91C8-812A1DF68153@microsoft.com...
> > > Hello, first of all id like to say im quite techincal so the obvious things
> > > like firewalls have been covered.
> > >
> > > We have one 2003 server sp2 running exchange and some new laptops running
> > > Vista business, we also have 3 network subnets ie 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3.
> > > Whenever a Vista machine is on the 10.1 subnet (as is the exchange server)
> > > it cannot ping the exchange server, the odd one packet might get through but
> > > generally none do although pinging works fine on the 10.2 and 10.3.
> > >
> > > Now your going to say this is a network problem but no windows xp machines
> > > on the 10.1 have problems communicating with the server and we have actually
> > > plugged a vista laptop into the same switch as the server and it still fails.
> > >
> > > We have done along of troubleshooting on the server but nothing puts towards
> > > this sort of error.
> > > any ideas?

Jody Halsey

Re: Update
Matt
We are having the same problem did you find a fix. I have two HP 9420
laptops and one HP Tc4400. They have vista business and office 07

Jody

"Matt Wilson" wrote:

> [...]
> > Update
> >
> > Vista clients can ping any host on the network except the exchange server
> > (W2k3 SP2 – Exchange 2003 SP2) while on the same subnet.
> >
> > If the machine is left for 5 minutes or so the first ping will succeed, but
> > reaming will never arrive. (and vice versa – leave the exchange server for 5
> > minutes and the first ping to the vista client will pass, then the remaining
> > will fail)
> >
> > Name resolution is not an issue as the same happens if using IP address only.
> >
> > Move the same Vista client to a subnet not the same as the exchange server
> > and connection is fine.
> >
> > Ethereal running on both server and vista show – first ping successful the
> > rest fail. Each machine shows that the packets leave the machine and the
> > first arrive, with the next 3 leaving but never arriving.

Matt Wilson

Re: Update
Hello Jody,

Im afraid not, we think it might be down to our switch having problems with
mac address linked with IPv6 even though we are not using it.

Tomorrow im upgrading the firmware on it to see if that helps. ill make a
post on monday. p.s. if you find anything out please report here!

kind regards