Windows XP and Vista don't see each other anymore

Daniel \Szajd\ Said

Windows XP and Vista don't see each other anymore
Hi,

I had a perfectly working home network configuration, and now it doesn't
really work. The specs are:

1 Windows XP Home Edition (SP2, of course) computer.
1 Windows Vista Ultimate computer.

They are connected via a switch (not using it's router functionality --
Internet is in port 1, XP computer is in port 2, Vista computer is in port
3 -- meaning, the computers don't use NAT, and are directly connected to the
internet, with unique IPv4 addresses).

On both computers, Windows Firewall is the only firewall.

Both computers have "OTTHON_WG" as their workgroup.

Please note, that this configuration worked before, and then one day it
suddenly stopped working.

On Windows XP, I have tried running the Network Set Up Wizard. File and
Printer sharing is enabled as an exception in Windows Firewall.
On Windows Vista, in the Network and Sharing Center, everything is set
correctly (I guess): the network is Private, network discovery is On, file
sharing is On, Public folder sharing is On, printer sharing is On, password
protected sharing is Off.

Internet works perfectly on both computers. But they can't see each other in
Network/My Network Places (or View the computers on the workgroup).
However, the XP machine does appear in the Network Map correctly (the LLTD
responder is installed on XP), and I can hover over it to view its IPv4
Address and MAC Address. However, I can't click the computer on the map.

Thank you for your help.

--Szajd

koze

Re: Windows XP and Vista don't see each other anymore
try the info from here"

Ko.

"Daniel "Szajd" Said" <szajd@szajdDELETEALLCAPSPART.info> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> I had a perfectly working home network configuration, and now it doesn't
> really work. The specs are:
>
> 1 Windows XP Home Edition (SP2, of course) computer.
> 1 Windows Vista Ultimate computer.
>
> They are connected via a switch (not using it's router functionality --
> Internet is in port 1, XP computer is in port 2, Vista computer is in port
> 3 -- meaning, the computers don't use NAT, and are directly connected to
> the internet, with unique IPv4 addresses).
>
> On both computers, Windows Firewall is the only firewall.
>
> Both computers have "OTTHON_WG" as their workgroup.
>
> Please note, that this configuration worked before, and then one day it
> suddenly stopped working.
>
> On Windows XP, I have tried running the Network Set Up Wizard. File and
> Printer sharing is enabled as an exception in Windows Firewall.
> On Windows Vista, in the Network and Sharing Center, everything is set
> correctly (I guess): the network is Private, network discovery is On, file
> sharing is On, Public folder sharing is On, printer sharing is On,
> password protected sharing is Off.
>
> Internet works perfectly on both computers. But they can't see each other
> in Network/My Network Places (or View the computers on the workgroup).
> However, the XP machine does appear in the Network Map correctly (the LLTD
> responder is installed on XP), and I can hover over it to view its IPv4
> Address and MAC Address. However, I can't click the computer on the map.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> --Szajd

Daniel \Szajd\ Said

Re: Windows XP and Vista don't see each other anymore
Thank you, but it didn't really help. Which part should I concentrate to?

--
--Szajd
"koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> try the info from here"
>
> Ko.
>
> "Daniel "Szajd" Said" <szajd@szajdDELETEALLCAPSPART.info> schreef in
> bericht news:E697E60D-5BFC-4E08-9780-228F6109B5E5@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a perfectly working home network configuration, and now it doesn't
>> really work. The specs are:
>>
>> 1 Windows XP Home Edition (SP2, of course) computer.
>> 1 Windows Vista Ultimate computer.
>>
>> They are connected via a switch (not using it's router functionality --
>> Internet is in port 1, XP computer is in port 2, Vista computer is in
>> port 3 -- meaning, the computers don't use NAT, and are directly
>> connected to the internet, with unique IPv4 addresses).
>>
>> On both computers, Windows Firewall is the only firewall.
>>
>> Both computers have "OTTHON_WG" as their workgroup.
>>
>> Please note, that this configuration worked before, and then one day it
>> suddenly stopped working.
>>
>> On Windows XP, I have tried running the Network Set Up Wizard. File and
>> Printer sharing is enabled as an exception in Windows Firewall.
>> On Windows Vista, in the Network and Sharing Center, everything is set
>> correctly (I guess): the network is Private, network discovery is On,
>> file sharing is On, Public folder sharing is On, printer sharing is On,
>> password protected sharing is Off.
>>
>> Internet works perfectly on both computers. But they can't see each other
>> in Network/My Network Places (or View the computers on the workgroup).
>> However, the XP machine does appear in the Network Map correctly (the
>> LLTD responder is installed on XP), and I can hover over it to view its
>> IPv4 Address and MAC Address. However, I can't click the computer on the
>> map.
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> --Szajd

Chuck

Re: Windows XP and Vista don't see each other anymore
On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:34:01 +0200, "Daniel \"Szajd\" Said"
<szajd@szajdDELETEALLCAPSPART.info> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I had a perfectly working home network configuration, and now it doesn't
>really work. The specs are:
>
>1 Windows XP Home Edition (SP2, of course) computer.
>1 Windows Vista Ultimate computer.
>
>They are connected via a switch (not using it's router functionality --
>Internet is in port 1, XP computer is in port 2, Vista computer is in port
>3 -- meaning, the computers don't use NAT, and are directly connected to the
>internet, with unique IPv4 addresses).
>
>On both computers, Windows Firewall is the only firewall.
>
>Both computers have "OTTHON_WG" as their workgroup.
>
>Please note, that this configuration worked before, and then one day it
>suddenly stopped working.
>
>On Windows XP, I have tried running the Network Set Up Wizard. File and
>Printer sharing is enabled as an exception in Windows Firewall.
>On Windows Vista, in the Network and Sharing Center, everything is set
>correctly (I guess): the network is Private, network discovery is On, file
>sharing is On, Public folder sharing is On, printer sharing is On, password
>protected sharing is Off.
>
>Internet works perfectly on both computers. But they can't see each other in
>Network/My Network Places (or View the computers on the workgroup).
>However, the XP machine does appear in the Network Map correctly (the LLTD
>responder is installed on XP), and I can hover over it to view its IPv4
>Address and MAC Address. However, I can't click the computer on the map.
>
>Thank you for your help.
>
>--Szajd

Szajd,

You've done a lot of research. Now try diagnosis. Look at both "browstat
status" and "ipconfig /all" from each computer. Read this article, and linked
articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Steve

Re: Windows XP and Vista don't see each other anymore
I have the exact same problem. It's so frustrating... XP should be able to
share with Vista. All I get is credentail failures when attempting to browse
the other PC. Did you get it working?

Thanks, Steve
sm12212012-tmp AT yahoo DOT com

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:34:01 +0200, "Daniel \"Szajd\" Said"
> <szajd@szajdDELETEALLCAPSPART.info> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I had a perfectly working home network configuration, and now it doesn't
> >really work. The specs are:
> >
> >1 Windows XP Home Edition (SP2, of course) computer.
> >1 Windows Vista Ultimate computer.
> >
> >They are connected via a switch (not using it's router functionality --
> >Internet is in port 1, XP computer is in port 2, Vista computer is in port
> >3 -- meaning, the computers don't use NAT, and are directly connected to the
> >internet, with unique IPv4 addresses).
> >
> >On both computers, Windows Firewall is the only firewall.
> >
> >Both computers have "OTTHON_WG" as their workgroup.
> >
> >Please note, that this configuration worked before, and then one day it
> >suddenly stopped working.
> >
> >On Windows XP, I have tried running the Network Set Up Wizard. File and
> >Printer sharing is enabled as an exception in Windows Firewall.
> >On Windows Vista, in the Network and Sharing Center, everything is set
> >correctly (I guess): the network is Private, network discovery is On, file
> >sharing is On, Public folder sharing is On, printer sharing is On, password
> >protected sharing is Off.
> >
> >Internet works perfectly on both computers. But they can't see each other in
> >Network/My Network Places (or View the computers on the workgroup).
> >However, the XP machine does appear in the Network Map correctly (the LLTD
> >responder is installed on XP), and I can hover over it to view its IPv4
> >Address and MAC Address. However, I can't click the computer on the map.
> >
> >Thank you for your help.
> >
> >--Szajd

> Szajd,
>
> You've done a lot of research. Now try diagnosis. Look at both "browstat
> status" and "ipconfig /all" from each computer. Read this article, and linked
> articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Steve Meadows

Re: Windows XP and Vista don't see each other anymore
I found my problem. I had two computers connected to a switch which was
connected to the internet. My LAN connection to the internet must have been
really funky, because when I disconnected my switch from the LAN, the
sharing worked perfectly. My LAN was screwing up my IP assignments I guess.
With the two computer only connected to each other through the switch, they
assigned each other IP addresses and the sharing worked as designed.

Steve

On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:59:14 -0500, "Steve Meadows" <sm12212012-ms@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> "Chuck" wrote:

>>> Szajd,
>>>
>>> You've done a lot of research. Now try diagnosis. Look at both
>>> "browstat
>>> status" and "ipconfig /all" from each computer. Read this article, and
>>> linked
>>> articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
>>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>>I have the exact same problem. It's so frustrating... XP should be able to
>> share with Vista. All I get is credentail failures when attempting to
>> browse
>> the other PC. Did you get it working?
>>
>> Thanks, Steve
>> sm12212012-tmp AT yahoo DOT com
>>

>I found my problem. I had two computers connected to a switch which was
>connected to the internet. My LAN connection to the internet must have been
>really funky, because when I disconnected my switch from the LAN, the
>sharing worked perfectly. My LAN was screwing up my IP assignments I guess.
>With the two computer only connected to each other through the switch, they
>assigned each other IP addresses and the sharing worked as designed.
>
>Steve

Thanks for the update, Steve.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#Followup>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Followup