Can I network Windows Vista Home Premium onto a Workgroup network?

Pearl

Can I network Windows Vista Home Premium onto a Workgroup network?
I have a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium on it. We also have a
wireless office network secured with Mac Filtering. All the other computers
in the office are Windows XP pro. Can my new Vista Home Premium computer be
networked into this environment so that it can share files and also see other
computers and their files and attached resources?
koze

Re: Can I network Windows Vista Home Premium onto a Workgroup network?
If you don't use a real server in the office then "Yes" You can.
If there is a server the answer is no Home versions cannot access a domain.
Ko.

"Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I have a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium on it. We also have
> wireless office network secured with Mac Filtering. All the other
> computers
> in the office are Windows XP pro. Can my new Vista Home Premium computer
> be
> networked into this environment so that it can share files and also see
> other
> computers and their files and attached resources?

koze

Re: Can I network Windows Vista Home Premium onto a Workgroup network?
PS: I forgot the link to the info:

Ko.

"koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> schreef in bericht
> If you don't use a real server in the office then "Yes" You can.
> If there is a server the answer is no Home versions cannot access a
> domain.
> Ko.
>
> "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>>I have a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium on it. We also have
>> wireless office network secured with Mac Filtering. All the other
>> computers
>> in the office are Windows XP pro. Can my new Vista Home Premium computer
>> be
>> networked into this environment so that it can share files and also see
>> other
>> computers and their files and attached resources?

Pearl

Re: Can I network Windows Vista Home Premium onto a Workgroup netw
thanks very much

"koze" wrote:

> If you don't use a real server in the office then "Yes" You can.
> If there is a server the answer is no Home versions cannot access a domain.
> Ko.
>
> "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> >I have a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium on it. We also have
> > wireless office network secured with Mac Filtering. All the other
> > computers
> > in the office are Windows XP pro. Can my new Vista Home Premium computer
> > be
> > networked into this environment so that it can share files and also see
> > other
> > computers and their files and attached resources?

Chuck

On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:35:16 +0200, "koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>If you don't use a real server in the office then "Yes" You can.
>If there is a server the answer is no Home versions cannot access a domain.
>Ko.
>
>"Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>>I have a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium on it. We also have
>> wireless office network secured with Mac Filtering. All the other
>> computers
>> in the office are Windows XP pro. Can my new Vista Home Premium computer
>> be
>> networked into this environment so that it can share files and also see
>> other
>> computers and their files and attached resources?

It's not quite that cut and dried. You can access a server from VHP, just not
as a domain member. Every Windows computer can be a server, whether its running
Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003, or Vista. Every Windows computer can be a client to
a server too.

VHP can't join a domain, but it can access a server, as long as you have a local
account setup on the server for network access.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#DomainClient>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...l#DomainClient

--
Cheers,