No Internet, Cannot ping localhost

To Old To . . .

No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
Any help?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
Please post back with the result of nslookup command.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A2E7F1-B57D-405E-B746-A82ED825D064@microsoft.com...
I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
Any help?

To Old To . . .

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
I will in the AM when I am in front of the computer.
Thank you for the reply

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Please post back with the result of nslookup command.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A2E7F1-B57D-405E-B746-A82ED825D064@microsoft.com...
> I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
> is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
> address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
> the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
> winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
> reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
> Any help?

To Old To . . .

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
Well it appears that Winsock didn't repair. No Winsock entry in the registry.
When I netsh winsock reset, it get a file not found.

"To Old To . . ." wrote:

> I will in the AM when I am in front of the computer.
> Thank you for the reply
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Please post back with the result of nslookup command.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A2E7F1-B57D-405E-B746-A82ED825D064@microsoft.com...
> > I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
> > is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
> > address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
> > the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
> > winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
> > reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
> > Any help?

To Old To . . .

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
netsh.exe winsock show catalog is empty

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Please post back with the result of nslookup command.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A2E7F1-B57D-405E-B746-A82ED825D064@microsoft.com...
> I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
> is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
> address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
> the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
> winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
> reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
> Any help?

To Old To . . .

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
nslookup
Can't find server

I was able to rebuild winsock, I replaced tcp/ip, the hosts file is correct.

I still cannot ping localhost or the computer name. I compared all the
services on another machine and they look the same. DNS is running. So what
is next. I have never seen this on any computer before.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Please post back with the result of nslookup command.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A2E7F1-B57D-405E-B746-A82ED825D064@microsoft.com...
> I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
> is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
> address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
> the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
> winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
> reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
> Any help?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
Posting the results of ipconfig /all and nslookup may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A7FFCA3-C70E-4010-84FC-F68A9FFEC9C8@microsoft.com...
nslookup
Can't find server

I was able to rebuild winsock, I replaced tcp/ip, the hosts file is correct.

I still cannot ping localhost or the computer name. I compared all the
services on another machine and they look the same. DNS is running. So what
is next. I have never seen this on any computer before.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Please post back with the result of nslookup command.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A2E7F1-B57D-405E-B746-A82ED825D064@microsoft.com...
> I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
> is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
> address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
> the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
> winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
> reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
> Any help?

To Old To . . .

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
Ipconfig /all is the same on this machine and the other machine I have that
runs OK.

Nslookup localhost
Server not found
192.169.0.23:53

Nslookup 127.0.0.1
Server not found
127.0.0.1

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Posting the results of ipconfig /all and nslookup may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A7FFCA3-C70E-4010-84FC-F68A9FFEC9C8@microsoft.com...
> nslookup
> Can't find server
>
> I was able to rebuild winsock, I replaced tcp/ip, the hosts file is correct.
>
> I still cannot ping localhost or the computer name. I compared all the
> services on another machine and they look the same. DNS is running. So what
> is next. I have never seen this on any computer before.
>

> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Please post back with the result of nslookup command.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A2E7F1-B57D-405E-B746-A82ED825D064@microsoft.com...
> > I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
> > is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
> > address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
> > the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
> > winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
> > reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
> > Any help?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
I would double check the DNS settings. This search result may help,

NslookupTroubleshooting Nslookup.exe. 1. *** Can't find server name for address w.x.y.z : Timed out. Cause: 1. the DNS server cannot be reached. ....
http://www.chicagotech.net/nslookup.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5006F9EA-0A99-4BFA-A38F-3D61F113D245@microsoft.com...
Ipconfig /all is the same on this machine and the other machine I have that
runs OK.

Nslookup localhost
Server not found
192.169.0.23:53

Nslookup 127.0.0.1
Server not found
127.0.0.1

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Posting the results of ipconfig /all and nslookup may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A7FFCA3-C70E-4010-84FC-F68A9FFEC9C8@microsoft.com...
> nslookup
> Can't find server
>
> I was able to rebuild winsock, I replaced tcp/ip, the hosts file is correct.
>
> I still cannot ping localhost or the computer name. I compared all the
> services on another machine and they look the same. DNS is running. So what
> is next. I have never seen this on any computer before.
>

> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Please post back with the result of nslookup command.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A2E7F1-B57D-405E-B746-A82ED825D064@microsoft.com...
> > I can ping a real world address but I cannot ping localhost. The hosts file
> > is ok. I cannot ping yahoo. When I set the IP to obtain, it won't obtain an
> > address. If I give it an address and put in the gateway and dns, I can ping
> > the internet address, but not a friendly name. It sounds like a tcp/ip or
> > winsock problem. When I remove Winsock and remove the network adapter and
> > reboot, that should rebuild both, but the result is the same.
> > Any help?

To Old To . . .

Re: No Internet, Cannot ping localhost
nslookup

Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1:53

I know this is the problem, I just don't know how to correct it.