How to delete redundant user profiles?

Dave Harry

How to delete redundant user profiles?
Still testing this on my RC1 cos I don't want to break my real Vista.

We have some roaming users on a domain who don't roam all that often. If
they haven't been at a computer for a long time, I like to remove their
profile from the machine so that an old one is not merged with their more
recent one.

In XP when I wanted to do this I went to System Properties > Advanced > User
Profiles > Settings and just hit Delete.
Next time they logged on it copied down the latest roaming profile from the
server, or a local user would get a completely NEW profile.

In Vista when I do this they do not get their new profile. Instead, they get
a temporary profile which will not save.
It seems like I've broken it by doing what I did in XP.

--
Dave

Chad Harris

Re: How to delete redundant user profiles?
Hi Dave--

I'm thinking for what you want to do on a domain, you need to use Group
Policy Editor:

Security auditing settings are not applied to Windows Vista client computers
when you deploy a domain-based policy
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921468/en-us

How to use Group Policy to configure detailed security auditing settings for
Windows Vista client computers in a Windows Server 2003 domain or in a
Windows 2000 domain (See Part 2)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921469/

Error results when you run the "gpupdate /force" command on a computer that
is running Windows Vista: "User policy could not be updated successfully"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934907/en-us

If you want to disable a user account:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921469/

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...5913a1033.mspx

If you want to delete one: Windows Key + R>type in run box "control user
passwords2" (lose quotes)>Advanced tab>advanced button>highlight account>rt.
click it>delete (or require password).

Or you can go to control panel>user accounts and reach the same dialogue
box.

Change Users Account Type

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...5f4c61033.mspx

CH

"Dave Harry" <DaveHarry@please.keep.replies.in.the.newsgroup> wrote in
message news:Oiku3v1lHHA.1624@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Still testing this on my RC1 cos I don't want to break my real Vista.
>
> We have some roaming users on a domain who don't roam all that often. If
> they haven't been at a computer for a long time, I like to remove their
> profile from the machine so that an old one is not merged with their more
> recent one.
>
> In XP when I wanted to do this I went to System Properties > Advanced >
> User Profiles > Settings and just hit Delete.
> Next time they logged on it copied down the latest roaming profile from
> the server, or a local user would get a completely NEW profile.
>
> In Vista when I do this they do not get their new profile. Instead, they
> get a temporary profile which will not save.
> It seems like I've broken it by doing what I did in XP.
>
> --
> Dave

Re: How to delete redundant user profiles?
Windows Vista Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 will Expire at the End of This Month, Just
FYI.

Kevin John Panzke (MSDN Operating Systems Level Subscriber)

P.S. If you are not yet Ready to Purchase Windows Vista RTM, I Strongly
Recommend that you either Return to Windows XP Service Pack 2, or Try Out
the Public Beta of Windows Long Horn Server, Beta 3, Build 6001, Service
Pack 1, Service Pack 1 Build 126, Just FYI. (View My Header's and You'll
Notice that I am Running Beta 3), Just FYI.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/longhorn

"Dave Harry" <DaveHarry@please.keep.replies.in.the.newsgroup> wrote in
message news:Oiku3v1lHHA.1624@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Still testing this on my RC1 cos I don't want to break my real Vista.
>
> We have some roaming users on a domain who don't roam all that often. If
> they haven't been at a computer for a long time, I like to remove their
> profile from the machine so that an old one is not merged with their more
> recent one.
>
> In XP when I wanted to do this I went to System Properties > Advanced >
> User Profiles > Settings and just hit Delete.
> Next time they logged on it copied down the latest roaming profile from
> the server, or a local user would get a completely NEW profile.
>
> In Vista when I do this they do not get their new profile. Instead, they
> get a temporary profile which will not save.
> It seems like I've broken it by doing what I did in XP.
>
> --
> Dave

Re: How to delete redundant user profiles?
Correction: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008

It looks like Beta 3 is now called Windows Server 2008 Beta 3, Just FYI.

<kevpan815@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Vista Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 will Expire at the End of This Month,
> Just FYI.
>
> Kevin John Panzke (MSDN Operating Systems Level Subscriber)
>
> P.S. If you are not yet Ready to Purchase Windows Vista RTM, I Strongly
> Recommend that you either Return to Windows XP Service Pack 2, or Try Out
> the Public Beta of Windows Long Horn Server, Beta 3, Build 6001, Service
> Pack 1, Service Pack 1 Build 126, Just FYI. (View My Header's and You'll
> Notice that I am Running Beta 3), Just FYI.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/longhorn
>
> "Dave Harry" <DaveHarry@please.keep.replies.in.the.newsgroup> wrote in
> message news:Oiku3v1lHHA.1624@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Still testing this on my RC1 cos I don't want to break my real Vista.
>>
>> We have some roaming users on a domain who don't roam all that often. If
>> they haven't been at a computer for a long time, I like to remove their
>> profile from the machine so that an old one is not merged with their more
>> recent one.
>>
>> In XP when I wanted to do this I went to System Properties > Advanced >
>> User Profiles > Settings and just hit Delete.
>> Next time they logged on it copied down the latest roaming profile from
>> the server, or a local user would get a completely NEW profile.
>>
>> In Vista when I do this they do not get their new profile. Instead, they
>> get a temporary profile which will not save.
>> It seems like I've broken it by doing what I did in XP.
>>
>> --
>> Dave

Dave Harry

Re: How to delete redundant user profiles?
I HAVE the RTM of Vista.
>> Still testing this on my RC1 cos I don't want to break my real Vista.

Thank you for answering, but just what all this have to do with my question,
Just FMI?

--
Dave Harry

<kevpan815@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Vista Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 will Expire at the End of This Month,
> Just FYI.
>
> Kevin John Panzke (MSDN Operating Systems Level Subscriber)
>
> P.S. If you are not yet Ready to Purchase Windows Vista RTM, I Strongly
> Recommend that you either Return to Windows XP Service Pack 2, or Try Out
> the Public Beta of Windows Long Horn Server, Beta 3, Build 6001, Service
> Pack 1, Service Pack 1 Build 126, Just FYI. (View My Header's and You'll
> Notice that I am Running Beta 3), Just FYI.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/longhorn
>
> "Dave Harry" <DaveHarry@please.keep.replies.in.the.newsgroup> wrote in
> message news:Oiku3v1lHHA.1624@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Still testing this on my RC1 cos I don't want to break my real Vista.
>>
>> We have some roaming users on a domain who don't roam all that often. If
>> they haven't been at a computer for a long time, I like to remove their
>> profile from the machine so that an old one is not merged with their more
>> recent one.
>>
>> In XP when I wanted to do this I went to System Properties > Advanced >
>> User Profiles > Settings and just hit Delete.
>> Next time they logged on it copied down the latest roaming profile from
>> the server, or a local user would get a completely NEW profile.
>>
>> In Vista when I do this they do not get their new profile. Instead, they
>> get a temporary profile which will not save.
>> It seems like I've broken it by doing what I did in XP.
>>
>> --
>> Dave

Dave Harry

Re: How to delete redundant user profiles?
Hi Chad
Thanks for replying.
These are close, but alas no cigar. I want to delete a user profile, but not
delete the user.
--
Dave Harry