Vista to XP-Need permission to create folder, paste, etc

Steven Michael

Vista to XP-Need permission to create folder, paste, etc
Hi
I am running Vista HP on machine 1 and XP-SP2 on machine 2 and 3.
Both machine 2 and 3 (XP) can access files and folders that are shared on
Machine 1 (Vista)
Vista can connect to machine 2 and map the drive, but cannot create
folders, or paste documents from machine 1. This worked with XP, prior to a
clean install of Vista on machine 1, the drive is shared, with everyone
granted access on the XP machine.
Vista cannot connect to machine 3 without username and password, though XP
sharing is not set to require one. If I try to connect using the XP
Administrator account, I am still denied access.
How can I create folders on these 2 machines from the Vista machine? It
seems like the Vista machine is the one with the problem, as the other 2
machines have access to the Vista shares. All machines share the same
workgroup name. Network discovery is on. Password Protection is off. Private
network is selected. All connect thru a router/gateway and share internet
access.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

Chuck

Re: Vista to XP-Need permission to create folder, paste, etc
On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:33:27 -0400, "Steven Michael" <jrterrier_13@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>I am running Vista HP on machine 1 and XP-SP2 on machine 2 and 3.
>Both machine 2 and 3 (XP) can access files and folders that are shared on
>Machine 1 (Vista)
>Vista can connect to machine 2 and map the drive, but cannot create
>folders, or paste documents from machine 1. This worked with XP, prior to a
>clean install of Vista on machine 1, the drive is shared, with everyone
>granted access on the XP machine.
>Vista cannot connect to machine 3 without username and password, though XP
>sharing is not set to require one. If I try to connect using the XP
>Administrator account, I am still denied access.
>How can I create folders on these 2 machines from the Vista machine? It
>seems like the Vista machine is the one with the problem, as the other 2
>machines have access to the Vista shares. All machines share the same
>workgroup name. Network discovery is on. Password Protection is off. Private
>network is selected. All connect thru a router/gateway and share internet
>access.
>Thanks for the help.
>Steve

Steve,

Are computers 2 and 3 setup identically? Your clues aren't symmetrical.

>Vista can connect to machine 2 and map the drive, but cannot create
>folders, or paste documents from machine 1.

Can Vista connect to computer 2 without username and password?

>Vista cannot connect to machine 3 without username and password, though XP
>sharing is not set to require one.

Please identify the setup of computer 1.
1) Password Protected Sharing disabled (ala XP Home), and the Guest account
activated for network access.
2) PPS enabled (ala XP Pro), and a non-Guest account activated for network
access.

Please identify the setup of computers 2 and 3.
1) XP Home.
2) XP Pro with Simple File Sharing.
3) XP Pro with Advanced File Sharing, and the Guest account activated for
network access.
4) XP Pro with AFS, and with a non-Guest account activated for network access.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Steven Michael

Re: Vista to XP-Need permission to create folder, paste, etc
Chuck,

Are computers 2 and 3 setup identically? Your clues aren't symmetrical.

Yes they are identical, same admin accounts and passwords, both belong to
same workgroup

>>Vista can connect to machine 2 and map the drive, but cannot create
>>folders, or paste documents from machine 1.

> Can Vista connect to computer 2 without username and password?

Yes, no problem connecting or mapping drive

>>Vista cannot connect to machine 3 without username and password, though XP
>>sharing is not set to require one.

Correct

> Please identify the setup of computer 1.
> 1) Password Protected Sharing disabled (ala XP Home), and the Guest
> account
> activated for network access.

PPS activated, did not change guest account so I assume it is disabled

> 2) PPS enabled (ala XP Pro), and a non-Guest account activated for network
> access.

PPS enabled, the only account is my account and admin account.

> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> Please identify the setup of computers 2 and 3.
> 3) XP Pro with Advanced File Sharing, and the Guest account activated for
> network access.

Guest account not activated on either machine.

> 4) XP Pro with AFS, and with a non-Guest account activated for network
> access.

As I mentioned previously, both XP machines can access my shared files on
Vista. But Vista cannot access files or make changes on XP machines.

Thanks for your reply and links, I will check them out today.

Steven Michael

Re: Vista to XP-Need permission to create folder, paste, etc
Got it working!
Turns out the XP machine did have simple sharing checked and the permissions
were incorrect.
Thanks for your help.

On Wed, 16 May 2007 19:04:14 -0400, "Steven Michael" <jrterrier_13@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Got it working!
>Turns out the XP machine did have simple sharing checked and the permissions
>were incorrect.
>Thanks for your help.

YAY!

Simple File Sharing again.