Vista Laptop reboot will not connect to internet

Flyingdoc

Vista Laptop reboot will not connect to internet
have just got Vista on new Sony Vaio laptop. Everything works very well
when the laptop re-boots it will not connect to my home network. The network
uses a BT hub (wireless) router to connect to the outside world.

It appears that when the Vista Laptop boots, it is not able to get an IP
address from the router. The properties are set to the default (get IP
address automatically etc), but it just does not work.
If I right click on the network icon and select diagnose and repair, then
select Automatically get IP address etc, it gets and IP address and connects
to my home network and the internet(!)

How can I get it to automaticlly connect to my network on re-boot. I thought
this was something that just happened. It certainly has with all the XP
machines I have connected.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Laptop reboot will not connect to internet
We have seen many cases like this one. The router DHCP may not compatible with the Vista. So try to setup TCP/IP manually. Please post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Flyingdoc" <Flyingdoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B71FC1A-174E-4CE4-9B00-0E34EA496BEE@microsoft.com...
have just got Vista on new Sony Vaio laptop. Everything works very well
when the laptop re-boots it will not connect to my home network. The network
uses a BT hub (wireless) router to connect to the outside world.

It appears that when the Vista Laptop boots, it is not able to get an IP
address from the router. The properties are set to the default (get IP
address automatically etc), but it just does not work.
If I right click on the network icon and select diagnose and repair, then
select Automatically get IP address etc, it gets and IP address and connects
to my home network and the internet(!)

How can I get it to automaticlly connect to my network on re-boot. I thought
this was something that just happened. It certainly has with all the XP
machines I have connected.

Josh

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O%23owtX3lHHA.4568@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem - have a look at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

Fixed it for me straight away!

M.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Laptop reboot will not connect to internet
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Josh" <mental@alloymail.com> wrote in message news:uBvzHe6lHHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

[...]

Thanks both I tried the Microsoft Fix - ddint work - I had great expectations
when I read it
The manual setup - somehow I cannot get it to accept
any other ideas
When the machine starts Vista connects to "local" and I have to repair each
time to get it to "Internet" then when I reboot back to "local"

Flyingdoc wrote:
> Thanks both I tried the Microsoft Fix - ddint work - I had great expectations
> when I read it
> The manual setup - somehow I cannot get it to accept
> any other ideas
> When the machine starts Vista connects to "local" and I have to repair each
> time to get it to "Internet" then when I reboot back to "local"

Very sorry that this didn't work for you - know how you feel I had been
trying to fix this on my laptop for 2 months before I found this, and
had almost given up totally on Vista because of it.

One other things that I had tried along the way was disabling IPv6 -
didn't work for me but it seems a popular option to try.

Does seem that this problem is quite common in Vista & wireless
networking - wired seems ok though.

M.
Flyingdoc

Re: Vista Laptop reboot will not connect to internet
Thanks Josh - how do i do that?
also when I tried the microsoft fix there were 2 items listed that could be
changed i tried both but how dp i know which was which?
i look forward to hearing from you
Flyingdoc PS yesterday it worked twice after I HAD GONE BACK TO ORIGINAL
SETTINGS THEN LAST THING HEY PRESTO BACK TO THE OLD PROBLEM

"Josh" wrote:

> Flyingdoc wrote:
> > Thanks both I tried the Microsoft Fix - ddint work - I had great expectations
> > when I read it
> > The manual setup - somehow I cannot get it to accept
> > any other ideas
> > When the machine starts Vista connects to "local" and I have to repair each
> > time to get it to "Internet" then when I reboot back to "local"
> >

> Very sorry that this didn't work for you - know how you feel I had been
> trying to fix this on my laptop for 2 months before I found this, and
> had almost given up totally on Vista because of it.
>
> One other things that I had tried along the way was disabling IPv6 -
> didn't work for me but it seems a popular option to try.
>
> Does seem that this problem is quite common in Vista & wireless
> networking - wired seems ok though.
>
> M.

Josh

Flyingdoc wrote:
> Thanks Josh - how do i do that?
> also when I tried the microsoft fix there were 2 items listed that could be
> changed i tried both but how dp i know which was which?
> i look forward to hearing from you
> Flyingdoc PS yesterday it worked twice after I HAD GONE BACK TO ORIGINAL
> SETTINGS THEN LAST THING HEY PRESTO BACK TO THE OLD PROBLEM
>
> "Josh" wrote:

Going back to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us - from this I
only actioned the first registry fix.

i.e. adding DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle.

I did not touch DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle - it is still left with a
value of 1. I would try setting this one back to 1 and see what happens
(assuming that this is what you meant and change this value to 0).

Also, not sure of the config of your machine, but under the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
I have 3 entries with different GUID values. One was virtually empty of
settings and of the other two, 1 I guessed was for wireless card and 1
wired. I added the new registry entry above to both just to be sure!

Let me know what you have done and what it's doing now.

Josh
Flyingdoc

Re: Vista Laptop reboot will not connect to internet
Same as you so I tried each of the 2 that had entrys individually with each
of 2 options then both but all 6 permutations didnt work so reset back to
original and now 30% time it connects OK but turns off after 10mins and have
to do the old reset
I give up with it unless you know otherwise
I do appreciate your help
ian

"Josh" wrote:

> Flyingdoc wrote:
> > Thanks Josh - how do i do that?
> > also when I tried the microsoft fix there were 2 items listed that could be
> > changed i tried both but how dp i know which was which?
> > i look forward to hearing from you
> > Flyingdoc PS yesterday it worked twice after I HAD GONE BACK TO ORIGINAL
> > SETTINGS THEN LAST THING HEY PRESTO BACK TO THE OLD PROBLEM
> >
> > "Josh" wrote:

> Going back to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us - from this I
> only actioned the first registry fix.
>
> i.e. adding DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle.
>
> I did not touch DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle - it is still left with a
> value of 1. I would try setting this one back to 1 and see what happens
> (assuming that this is what you meant and change this value to 0).
>
> Also, not sure of the config of your machine, but under the registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
> I have 3 entries with different GUID values. One was virtually empty of
> settings and of the other two, 1 I guessed was for wireless card and 1
> wired. I added the new registry entry above to both just to be sure!
>
> Let me know what you have done and what it's doing now.
>
> Josh

dmex

Re: Vista Laptop reboot will not connect to internet

If you are not sure how to manually setup your network can you goto
"network and sharing center" then click "view status" of the connection
then click "details"

1. In the details tab you should be able to see if your using dhcp for
automatic setup and what ipv4 settings your using.

2. When your adapter is working and connected write down the numbers
for your ipv4 ip address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns.
click close on the details tab then click properties for your local
area conection

3. untick IPV6 as this will not be used for anything for the next few
years also untick link-layer topology as these are used for vista to
identify other vista clients and devices, they are not needed for much
and are quite talkative. dubble click internet protocal version 4 and
use the details you recorded before to setup your connection.

4. once finished click ok then click ok again and you should have
finished setting up your connection manually.

Let me know if this helps.

--
dmex