Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users

Frustrated Internet loner

Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users
I have had no problem so far setting up the Internet connection and getting
it to sign in and remember the password. The problem I am having is trying to
set-up a connection to allow other users on the system to access the
internet, I have followed the instruction but no success.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users
we need more details to help you. Can you ping a public IP? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Frustrated Internet loner" <Frustrated Internet loner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:335CA6B5-26DB-48AA-B1A0-4A4802D32684@microsoft.com...
I have had no problem so far setting up the Internet connection and getting
it to sign in and remember the password. The problem I am having is trying to
set-up a connection to allow other users on the system to access the
internet, I have followed the instruction but no success.
Frustrated Internet loner

Re: Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users
Yes, I can ping www.yahoo.com.

I can't share internet connection with other users on my machine.

Can you help?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> we need more details to help you. Can you ping a public IP? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Frustrated Internet loner" <Frustrated Internet loner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:335CA6B5-26DB-48AA-B1A0-4A4802D32684@microsoft.com...
> I have had no problem so far setting up the Internet connection and getting
> it to sign in and remember the password. The problem I am having is trying to
> set-up a connection to allow other users on the system to access the
> internet, I have followed the instruction but no success

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users
I mean if you can ping a public IP from the client? This how to may help,

How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Frustrated Internet loner" <FrustratedInternetloner@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message news:4F46F2EC-D691-43D4-8D75-93E0FC63E467@microsoft.com...
Yes, I can ping www.yahoo.com.

I can't share internet connection with other users on my machine.

Can you help?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> we need more details to help you. Can you ping a public IP? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Frustrated Internet loner" <Frustrated Internet loner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:335CA6B5-26DB-48AA-B1A0-4A4802D32684@microsoft.com...
> I have had no problem so far setting up the Internet connection and getting
> it to sign in and remember the password. The problem I am having is trying to
> set-up a connection to allow other users on the system to access the
> internet, I have followed the instruction but no success

Frustrated Internet loner

Re: Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users
Robert,

This is a home computer with no other devices connected. I just want to
allow other users to have access on their log-on. I have no problems as I
worked out how to set it up so that it remembers UserName and Password. This
does not work for any other User on this machine. I have followed the
instruction on setting up a shared connection but it does not work.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> I mean if you can ping a public IP from the client? This how to may help,
>
> How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Frustrated Internet loner" <FrustratedInternetloner@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message news:4F46F2EC-D691-43D4-8D75-93E0FC63E467@microsoft.com...
> Yes, I can ping www.yahoo.com.
>
> I can't share internet connection with other users on my machine.
>
> Can you help?
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > we need more details to help you. Can you ping a public IP? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com?
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Frustrated Internet loner" <Frustrated Internet loner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:335CA6B5-26DB-48AA-B1A0-4A4802D32684@microsoft.com...
> > I have had no problem so far setting up the Internet connection and getting
> > it to sign in and remember the password. The problem I am having is trying to
> > set-up a connection to allow other users on the system to access the
> > internet, I have followed the instruction but no success

Kim [MS]

Re: Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users
Frustrated Internet loner,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. There are a few useful resources to
help you set up a connection:

1) In Vista's local help, search on the phrase, "connection sharing" and
you will see an article giving you step-by-step directions on sharing an
internet connection.
2) Online Vista help has a similar set of articles at:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d1e9e1033.mspx
and finally,
3) There's a TechNet article at:

"Frustrated Internet loner" wrote:

> Robert,
>
> This is a home computer with no other devices connected. I just want to
> allow other users to have access on their log-on. I have no problems as I
> worked out how to set it up so that it remembers UserName and Password. This
> does not work for any other User on this machine. I have followed the
> instruction on setting up a shared connection but it does not work.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > I mean if you can ping a public IP from the client? This how to may help,
> >
> > How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
> > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
> >

> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Frustrated Internet loner" <FrustratedInternetloner@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message news:4F46F2EC-D691-43D4-8D75-93E0FC63E467@microsoft.com...
> > Yes, I can ping www.yahoo.com.
> >
> > I can't share internet connection with other users on my machine.
> >
> > Can you help?
> >
> > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
> >
> > > we need more details to help you. Can you ping a public IP? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com?
> > >
> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > > "Frustrated Internet loner" <Frustrated Internet loner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:335CA6B5-26DB-48AA-B1A0-4A4802D32684@microsoft.com...
> > > I have had no problem so far setting up the Internet connection and getting
> > > it to sign in and remember the password. The problem I am having is trying to
> > > set-up a connection to allow other users on the system to access the
> > > internet, I have followed the instruction but no success

Dick

Re: Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users
I am having the same problems as the thread starter

I have a Vista PC and an XP laptop wired together with ethernet cable. The
Vista PC is acting as the The Internet Connection server.

Both machines can see each other on the net and share files, but the XP
machine cannot access the internet. It can see It works perfectly well with
WS2K on the other end (The vista machine dual boots).

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> Frustrated Internet loner,
>
> I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. There are a few useful resources to
> help you set up a connection:
>
> 1) In Vista's local help, search on the phrase, "connection sharing" and
> you will see an article giving you step-by-step directions on sharing an
> internet connection.
> 2) Online Vista help has a similar set of articles at:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d1e9e1033.mspx
> and finally,
> 3) There's a TechNet article at:
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>

> "Frustrated Internet loner" wrote:
>
> > Robert,
> >
> > This is a home computer with no other devices connected. I just want to
> > allow other users to have access on their log-on. I have no problems as I
> > worked out how to set it up so that it remembers UserName and Password. This
> > does not work for any other User on this machine. I have followed the
> > instruction on setting up a shared connection but it does not work.
> >
> > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
> >
> > > I mean if you can ping a public IP from the client? This how to may help,
> > >
> > > How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
> > > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
> > >

> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > > "Frustrated Internet loner" <FrustratedInternetloner@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message news:4F46F2EC-D691-43D4-8D75-93E0FC63E467@microsoft.com...
> > > Yes, I can ping www.yahoo.com.
> > >
> > > I can't share internet connection with other users on my machine.
> > >
> > > Can you help?

Kim [MS]

Re: Vista - Sharing an Internet connection with several users
****,

Can the Vista machine (which is the connection server) access the internet?