Visibility on a Domain

Pat Brown

Visibility on a Domain
I have the only VISTA computer on our Domain. The administrators successfully
added the computer to the domain, but I can't see any other computer when I
open the Network icon. I only see my own computer. When I go to one of the
other workstations (XP), I can see my computer, open it, view my files,
printers, etc. In short, I can't browse to any other computers/servers but
they can browse me.
koze

Re: Visibility on a Domain
Is the option network detection enabled in the netwerkcenter?
Ko

"Pat Brown" <PatBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I have the only VISTA computer on our Domain. The administrators
>successfully
> added the computer to the domain, but I can't see any other computer when
> open the Network icon. I only see my own computer. When I go to one of the
> other workstations (XP), I can see my computer, open it, view my files,
> printers, etc. In short, I can't browse to any other computers/servers but
> they can browse me.

Pat Brown

RE: Visibility on a Domain
Network discovery is turned on.

"Pat Brown" wrote:

> I have the only VISTA computer on our Domain. The administrators successfully
> added the computer to the domain, but I can't see any other computer when I
> open the Network icon. I only see my own computer. When I go to one of the
> other workstations (XP), I can see my computer, open it, view my files,
> printers, etc. In short, I can't browse to any other computers/servers but
> they can browse me.

Chuck

Re: Visibility on a Domain
On Tue, 15 May 2007 06:08:02 -0700, Pat Brown
<PatBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the only VISTA computer on our Domain. The administrators successfully
>added the computer to the domain, but I can't see any other computer when I
>open the Network icon. I only see my own computer. When I go to one of the
>other workstations (XP), I can see my computer, open it, view my files,
>printers, etc. In short, I can't browse to any other computers/servers but
>they can browse me.

Inability to see other computers is generally a personal firewall / NetBT
mismatch. All computer must be setup identically.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

And for a Vista computer, is its Network Location Type set to Private? If not,
you have to adjust the firewall manually.

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Pat Brown

Re: Visibility on a Domain
Network Location Type doesn't seem to come into play on a domain. Mine is set
to DOMAIN. I think I have all my personal firewalls shut off.

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 06:08:02 -0700, Pat Brown
> <PatBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have the only VISTA computer on our Domain. The administrators successfully
> >added the computer to the domain, but I can't see any other computer when I
> >open the Network icon. I only see my own computer. When I go to one of the
> >other workstations (XP), I can see my computer, open it, view my files,
> >printers, etc. In short, I can't browse to any other computers/servers but
> >they can browse me.

> Inability to see other computers is generally a personal firewall / NetBT
> mismatch. All computer must be setup identically.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>
> And for a Vista computer, is its Network Location Type set to Private? If not,
> you have to adjust the firewall manually.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: Visibility on a Domain
On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:49:00 -0700, Pat Brown
<PatBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 May 2007 06:08:02 -0700, Pat Brown
>> <PatBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have the only VISTA computer on our Domain. The administrators successfully
>> >added the computer to the domain, but I can't see any other computer when I
>> >open the Network icon. I only see my own computer. When I go to one of the
>> >other workstations (XP), I can see my computer, open it, view my files,
>> >printers, etc. In short, I can't browse to any other computers/servers but
>> >they can browse me.

>> Inability to see other computers is generally a personal firewall / NetBT
>> mismatch. All computer must be setup identically.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>> And for a Vista computer, is its Network Location Type set to Private? If not,
>> you have to adjust the firewall manually.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

>Network Location Type doesn't seem to come into play on a domain. Mine is set
>to DOMAIN. I think I have all my personal firewalls shut off.

OK, if this is Vista that is domain sensitive, you're right. I'm still learning
about the details of every edition, this is worse than Baskin Robbins 31
Flavors.

How many personal firewalls do you have? Which vendors?

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Pat Brown

Re: Visibility on a Domain
I believe the only one I have is Windows Firewall and it is shut off, but I
don't know how to find if there are more.

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:49:00 -0700, Pat Brown
> <PatBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck" wrote:

> >> Inability to see other computers is generally a personal firewall / NetBT
> >> mismatch. All computer must be setup identically.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
> >>
> >> And for a Vista computer, is its Network Location Type set to Private? If not,
> >> you have to adjust the firewall manually.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

> >Network Location Type doesn't seem to come into play on a domain. Mine is set
> >to DOMAIN. I think I have all my personal firewalls shut off.

> OK, if this is Vista that is domain sensitive, you're right. I'm still learning
> about the details of every edition, this is worse than Baskin Robbins 31
> Flavors.
>
> How many personal firewalls do you have? Which vendors?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: Visibility on a Domain
On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:51:01 -0700, Pat Brown
<PatBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:49:00 -0700, Pat Brown
>> <PatBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> >Network Location Type doesn't seem to come into play on a domain. Mine is set
>> >to DOMAIN. I think I have all my personal firewalls shut off.

>> OK, if this is Vista that is domain sensitive, you're right. I'm still learning
>> about the details of every edition, this is worse than Baskin Robbins 31
>> Flavors.
>>
>> How many personal firewalls do you have? Which vendors?

>I believe the only one I have is Windows Firewall and it is shut off, but I
>don't know how to find if there are more.

What antitrojan / antivirus do you use?

Look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from the problem computer, AND 2
others, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):