Cannot Connect to FTP via IE7 (but can via Firefox)

Drinky

Cannot Connect to FTP via IE7 (but can via Firefox)
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated as it is "doing my head
in".

1 - I am running Vista Business.
2 - I have never been able to connect to FTP servers via IE7/Windows Explorer.
3 - I can connect without a problem using FireFox.

The IE connection diagnostics simply tells me that the host may be down.

The problem persists whether the firewall is on or off.

The problem persists whether the "Enable FTP folder view" option in IE
settings->advanced is checked our unchecked.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Jay Somerset

Re: Cannot Connect to FTP via IE7 (but can via Firefox)
On Tue, 15 May 2007 01:08:01 -0700, Drinky
<Drinky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Any help with this problem would be much appreciated as it is "doing my head
> in".
>
> 1 - I am running Vista Business.
> 2 - I have never been able to connect to FTP servers via IE7/Windows Explorer.
> 3 - I can connect without a problem using FireFox.
>
> The IE connection diagnostics simply tells me that the host may be down.
>
> The problem persists whether the firewall is on or off.
>
> The problem persists whether the "Enable FTP folder view" option in IE
> settings->advanced is checked our unchecked.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mark

I just tried it with both Firefox and IE7 on Vista. Worked fine for me on
both. The site I used to test was: ftp:\\sunsite.unc.edu
--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
Drinky

Re: Cannot Connect to FTP via IE7 (but can via Firefox)
Jay,

Are you saying that you have previously had a problem connecting to FTP via
IE7 - and that it now works?

If so, what was the solution for you?

Regards,

Mark

"Jay Somerset" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 01:08:01 -0700, Drinky
> <Drinky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Any help with this problem would be much appreciated as it is "doing my head
> > in".
> >
> > 1 - I am running Vista Business.
> > 2 - I have never been able to connect to FTP servers via IE7/Windows Explorer.
> > 3 - I can connect without a problem using FireFox.
> >
> > The IE connection diagnostics simply tells me that the host may be down.
> >
> > The problem persists whether the firewall is on or off.
> >
> > The problem persists whether the "Enable FTP folder view" option in IE
> > settings->advanced is checked our unchecked.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Mark

> I just tried it with both Firefox and IE7 on Vista. Worked fine for me on
> both. The site I used to test was: ftp:\\sunsite.unc.edu
> --
> Jay.
> (remove dashes for legal email address)

Jay Somerset

Re: Cannot Connect to FTP via IE7 (but can via Firefox)
On Wed, 16 May 2007 07:13:00 -0700, Drinky
<Drinky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Jay,
>
> Are you saying that you have previously had a problem connecting to FTP via
> IE7 - and that it now works?
>
> If so, what was the solution for you?

No previous problem -- it has worked from the first time I tried it.

> "Jay Somerset" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 May 2007 01:08:01 -0700, Drinky
> > <Drinky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Any help with this problem would be much appreciated as it is "doing my head
> > > in".
> > >
> > > 1 - I am running Vista Business.
> > > 2 - I have never been able to connect to FTP servers via IE7/Windows Explorer.
> > > 3 - I can connect without a problem using FireFox.
> > >
> > > The IE connection diagnostics simply tells me that the host may be down.
> > >
> > > The problem persists whether the firewall is on or off.
> > >
> > > The problem persists whether the "Enable FTP folder view" option in IE
> > > settings->advanced is checked our unchecked.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Mark

> > I just tried it with both Firefox and IE7 on Vista. Worked fine for me on
> > both. The site I used to test was: ftp:\\sunsite.unc.edu
> > --
> > Jay.
> > (remove dashes for legal email address)

--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
Drinky

Re: Cannot Connect to FTP via IE7 (but can via Firefox)
Jay,

I'm very pleased that it's all working for you.

Now would you mind not reporting such pointless information so that the
forum can remain clear of clutter and remain focussed on providing solutions
to people's problems.

Mark

"Jay Somerset" wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2007 07:13:00 -0700, Drinky
> <Drinky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Jay,
> >
> > Are you saying that you have previously had a problem connecting to FTP via
> > IE7 - and that it now works?
> >
> > If so, what was the solution for you?

> No previous problem -- it has worked from the first time I tried it.
>

> > "Jay Somerset" wrote:

> > > I just tried it with both Firefox and IE7 on Vista. Worked fine for me on
> > > both. The site I used to test was: ftp:\\sunsite.unc.edu
> > > --
> > > Jay.
> > > (remove dashes for legal email address)
> > >

> --
> Jay.
> (remove dashes for legal email address)

Jay Somerset

Re: Cannot Connect to FTP via IE7 (but can via Firefox)
On Thu, 17 May 2007 07:31:03 -0700, Drinky
<Drinky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Jay,
>
> I'm very pleased that it's all working for you.
>
> Now would you mind not reporting such pointless information so that the
> forum can remain clear of clutter and remain focussed on providing solutions
> to people's problems.

I beg your pardon!

It was not "pointless information". The first post was to inform the OP
that not everyone had the problem, and the second post was to answer an
explicit question.

YouR post certainly provided no useful information to anyone, and was
definitely unsolicited. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH!