Vista caching passwords causes domain account lockout...

putt454@yahoo.com

Vista caching passwords causes domain account lockout...
hello all,

we have laptops that are not part of our AD domain. they connect to a
Cisco VPN via broadband and then access our servers (\
\servername.domain\share). the first time you connect to a windows
server and share, you are prompted for credentials, but never again
after that. when the user password changes, Vista appears to silently
offer the same invalid cached password over and over again until the
domain controller locks out the account.

anybody know how to purge the cached passwords and force Vista to ask
for credentials for each session? this was never an issue under XP.

any help would be appreciated.

Don Varnau

Re: Vista caching passwords causes domain account lockout...
Hi,
Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone (and also Intranet Zone)> Custom
level> User Authentication> Prompt for user name and password.

Also, Control Panel> User Accounts> Manage network passwords> remove the
invalid passwords.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

<putt454@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1179195400.055887.293770@n59g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> hello all,
>
> we have laptops that are not part of our AD domain. they connect to a
> Cisco VPN via broadband and then access our servers (\
> \servername.domain\share). the first time you connect to a windows
> server and share, you are prompted for credentials, but never again
> after that. when the user password changes, Vista appears to silently
> offer the same invalid cached password over and over again until the
> domain controller locks out the account.
>
> anybody know how to purge the cached passwords and force Vista to ask
> for credentials for each session? this was never an issue under XP.
>
> any help would be appreciated.

putt454@yahoo.com

Re: Vista caching passwords causes domain account lockout...
hi Don,

thanks for your input. much appreciated. i will give this a shot and
report back.

best,
alex

On May 15, 2:01 am, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone (and also Intranet Zone)> Custom
> level> User Authentication> Prompt for user name and password.
>
> Also, Control Panel> User Accounts> Manage networkpasswords> remove the
> invalidpasswords.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

puttdog@gmail.com

Re: Vista caching passwords causes domain account lockout...
the tweaks to Internet Options did not seem to rectify the problem.
however, i was able to solve the issue using another approach. using
the net use command you can specify a specific user credentials when
mapping the share, after this is done, Vista will use those new
credentials any time you ask for resources from that server.

for example at the command prompt:

net use x: \\server1.domain\share1 /userOMAIN\username

then it will ask for your password. any attempts to access \
\server1.domain after this will result in the correct credentials
being passed.

thanks again!

putt454@yahoo.com

Re: Vista caching passwords causes domain account lockout...
the Internet Options tweaks that Don recommended did not rectify the
problem that i was having (thanks just the same Don!). however we did
have some success using another approach. by using the "net use"
command you can specify the user credentials, and override the cached
username/password.

for example at the command prompt:

net use x: \\server1.domain\share1 /userOMAIN\username

you will prompted for a password and it will map your local x: drive
to the remote share. thereafter, any requests for shares on that
server will use the defined credentials that you specified in the net
use command.

hope that helps somebody else.