Cannot enable offline files

Aaron

Cannot enable offline files
I have user with a Vista Business laptop joined to a 2000 AD domain. I am
trying to make his network share available offline for him. When I right
click on the network drive there is no option for "Always available offline".
I then go and look and Vista says offline files are enabled, but I need to
restart to make them active. After restarting nothing new happens. It still
says I need to restart to make active.

Thanks
Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]

Re: Cannot enable offline files
Was this ever resolved? If not, can you send the output of the following
commands-
sc query csc
sc query cscservice
sc qc csc
sc qc cscservice

Thanks,
Shubhankar

"Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have user with a Vista Business laptop joined to a 2000 AD domain. I am
> trying to make his network share available offline for him. When I right
> click on the network drive there is no option for "Always available
> offline".
> I then go and look and Vista says offline files are enabled, but I need to
> restart to make them active. After restarting nothing new happens. It
> still
> says I need to restart to make active.
>
> Thanks

Aaron

Re: Cannot enable offline files
This has not been resolved. I will be at the customers site next week. I
will send you the results of the command you have asked. Thanks for
responding.

"Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]" wrote:

> Was this ever resolved? If not, can you send the output of the following
> commands-
> sc query csc
> sc query cscservice
> sc qc csc
> sc qc cscservice
>
> Thanks,
> Shubhankar
>
> "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have user with a Vista Business laptop joined to a 2000 AD domain. I am
> > trying to make his network share available offline for him. When I right
> > click on the network drive there is no option for "Always available
> > offline".
> > I then go and look and Vista says offline files are enabled, but I need to
> > restart to make them active. After restarting nothing new happens. It
> > still
> > says I need to restart to make active.
> >
> > Thanks

Aaron

Re: Cannot enable offline files
C:\>sc query csc

SERVICE_NAME: csc
TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE : 4 RUNNING
(STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\>sc query cscservice

SERVICE_NAME: cscservice
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : -2147024893 (0x80070003)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\>sc qc csc
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: csc
TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
START_TYPE : 1 SYSTEM_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : system32\drivers\csc.sys
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : network
TAG : 9
DISPLAY_NAME : Offline Files Driver
DEPENDENCIES : rdbss
SERVICE_START_NAME :

C:\>sc qc cscservice
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: cscservice
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k
LocalSystemNetwo
rkRestricted
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : ProfSvc_Group
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Offline Files
DEPENDENCIES : RpcSs
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

I hope this helps

"Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]" wrote:

> Was this ever resolved? If not, can you send the output of the following
> commands-
> sc query csc
> sc query cscservice
> sc qc csc
> sc qc cscservice
>
> Thanks,
> Shubhankar
>
> "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have user with a Vista Business laptop joined to a 2000 AD domain. I am
> > trying to make his network share available offline for him. When I right
> > click on the network drive there is no option for "Always available
> > offline".
> > I then go and look and Vista says offline files are enabled, but I need to
> > restart to make them active. After restarting nothing new happens. It
> > still
> > says I need to restart to make active.
> >
> > Thanks

Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]

Re: Cannot enable offline files
Hi Aaron,
I looks like the cscservice is not able to start. Can you check if-
1. There is a file called cscsvc.dll in c:\windows\system32?
2. There is a directory called c:\windows\csc

Also, is this a new laptop? Which brand is it?

> C:\>sc query csc
>
> SERVICE_NAME: csc
> TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
> STATE : 4 RUNNING
> (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
> WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> WAIT_HINT : 0x0
>
> C:\>sc query cscservice
>
> SERVICE_NAME: cscservice
> TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> STATE : 1 STOPPED
> WIN32_EXIT_CODE : -2147024893 (0x80070003)
> SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> WAIT_HINT : 0x0
>
> C:\>sc qc csc
> [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
>
> SERVICE_NAME: csc
> TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
> START_TYPE : 1 SYSTEM_START
> ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
> BINARY_PATH_NAME : system32\drivers\csc.sys
> LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : network
> TAG : 9
> DISPLAY_NAME : Offline Files Driver
> DEPENDENCIES : rdbss
> SERVICE_START_NAME :
>
> C:\>sc qc cscservice
> [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
>
> SERVICE_NAME: cscservice
> TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
> ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
> BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k
> LocalSystemNetwo
> rkRestricted
> LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : ProfSvc_Group
> TAG : 0
> DISPLAY_NAME : Offline Files
> DEPENDENCIES : RpcSs
> SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem
>
> I hope this helps
>

> "Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Was this ever resolved? If not, can you send the output of the following
>> commands-
>> sc query csc
>> sc query cscservice
>> sc qc csc
>> sc qc cscservice
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shubhankar
>>
>> "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have user with a Vista Business laptop joined to a 2000 AD domain. I
>> >am
>> > trying to make his network share available offline for him. When I
>> > right
>> > click on the network drive there is no option for "Always available
>> > offline".
>> > I then go and look and Vista says offline files are enabled, but I need
>> > restart to make them active. After restarting nothing new happens. It
>> > still
>> > says I need to restart to make active.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Aaron

Re: Cannot enable offline files
It is an Acer laptop. We have found that some default images from Acer and
Gateway have problems. The customer has decided to go back to XP. There
just seems to be to many problems with Vista for this client.

Have you heard of Acer or Gateway having problems with Vista? Thanks for
your help.

"Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
> I looks like the cscservice is not able to start. Can you check if-
> 1. There is a file called cscsvc.dll in c:\windows\system32?
> 2. There is a directory called c:\windows\csc
>
> Also, is this a new laptop? Which brand is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Shubhankar
>
> "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > C:\>sc query csc
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: csc
> > TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
> > STATE : 4 RUNNING
> > (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
> > WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> > SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> > CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> > WAIT_HINT : 0x0
> >
> > C:\>sc query cscservice
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: cscservice
> > TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> > STATE : 1 STOPPED
> > WIN32_EXIT_CODE : -2147024893 (0x80070003)
> > SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> > CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> > WAIT_HINT : 0x0
> >
> > C:\>sc qc csc
> > [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: csc
> > TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
> > START_TYPE : 1 SYSTEM_START
> > ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
> > BINARY_PATH_NAME : system32\drivers\csc.sys
> > LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : network
> > TAG : 9
> > DISPLAY_NAME : Offline Files Driver
> > DEPENDENCIES : rdbss
> > SERVICE_START_NAME :
> >
> > C:\>sc qc cscservice
> > [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: cscservice
> > TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> > START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
> > ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
> > BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k
> > LocalSystemNetwo
> > rkRestricted
> > LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : ProfSvc_Group
> > TAG : 0
> > DISPLAY_NAME : Offline Files
> > DEPENDENCIES : RpcSs
> > SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem
> >
> > I hope this helps
> >

> > "Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Was this ever resolved? If not, can you send the output of the following
> >> commands-
> >> sc query csc
> >> sc query cscservice
> >> sc qc csc
> >> sc qc cscservice
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Shubhankar

Dmitry

Re: Cannot enable offline files
Hi, I also have a new Acer laptop, and experience the same problem.
Those commands give exactly the same result, as in Aaron case, and there is
cscsvc.dll in c:\windows\system32 and folder c:\windows\csc exists.
Also when I try to enable offline files I can't rename any files and folders
on network drives.

Any hints?
Regards, Dmitry.

"Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
> I looks like the cscservice is not able to start. Can you check if-
> 1. There is a file called cscsvc.dll in c:\windows\system32?
> 2. There is a directory called c:\windows\csc
>
> Also, is this a new laptop? Which brand is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Shubhankar
>
> "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > C:\>sc query csc
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: csc
> > TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
> > STATE : 4 RUNNING
> > (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
> > WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> > SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> > CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> > WAIT_HINT : 0x0
> >
> > C:\>sc query cscservice
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: cscservice
> > TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> > STATE : 1 STOPPED
> > WIN32_EXIT_CODE : -2147024893 (0x80070003)
> > SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> > CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> > WAIT_HINT : 0x0
> >
> > C:\>sc qc csc
> > [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: csc
> > TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
> > START_TYPE : 1 SYSTEM_START
> > ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
> > BINARY_PATH_NAME : system32\drivers\csc.sys
> > LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : network
> > TAG : 9
> > DISPLAY_NAME : Offline Files Driver
> > DEPENDENCIES : rdbss
> > SERVICE_START_NAME :
> >
> > C:\>sc qc cscservice
> > [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: cscservice
> > TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> > START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
> > ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
> > BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k
> > LocalSystemNetwo
> > rkRestricted
> > LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : ProfSvc_Group
> > TAG : 0
> > DISPLAY_NAME : Offline Files
> > DEPENDENCIES : RpcSs
> > SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem
> >
> > I hope this helps
> >

> > "Shubhankar Sanyal [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Was this ever resolved? If not, can you send the output of the following
> >> commands-
> >> sc query csc
> >> sc query cscservice
> >> sc qc csc
> >> sc qc cscservice
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Shubhankar

Rubber2

Re: Cannot enable offline files
Hi,
it seems that a common circumstance shared by everyone experiencing this
problem is that we all have Acer computers.

I have three ACER notebooks and the two with VISTA have the reported
problem...
6292 w/Win xp PRO, everything regarding Offline files OK (but wireless hangs
when running on batteries, thanks again Acer!)

6292 w/Vista Business same problem as you (no right click option, cscsrevice
stopped)

6592 w/Vista Business same problem as you

I know that at Acer they are conscious that empowering suite is crap as they
"suggested" me to remove its applications starting from eData security known
as the worst one...

I tried to remove it but to no avail; next step will be to mess up things
starting to remove the others...

Has anyone else undergone the same thing?

Regards,

Roberto