Vista Ultimate loses internet connection

Fred Marshall

Vista Ultimate loses internet connection
Whenever Vista Ultimate sleeps it loses its internet connection.
Static IP.
Eventually it recovers but the wait is minutes long - or requires
intervention by running repair.
DNS isn't working

XP machine on same network works fine.
Vista U. machine works fine too - after it's "healed"

Time after time ........

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Ultimate loses internet connection
I answered your question in other post. Try to re-configure the NIC. This cases may help,

Losing wireless connection to ...Also, try to re-configure the NIC. This case may help, Solved: Limited connectivity with ...Solved: Limited connectivity with Vista notebook . ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=390

chicagotech.net :: View topic - Solved: Limited connectivity with ...
A135-S4427 Satellite notebook that was just released with Vista Home Premium, ... A: You may need to re-configure the NIC, for example low the speed. ...
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=246

Acquiring network address
2. Re-configure the NIC speed and duplex. 3. Upgrade the router or switch firmware. Related Topics. Cannot access the network because of NIC settings ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/Networkin...ingnetwork.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message news:Oq2JbumlHHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Whenever Vista Ultimate sleeps it loses its internet connection.
Static IP.
Eventually it recovers but the wait is minutes long - or requires
intervention by running repair.
DNS isn't working

XP machine on same network works fine.
Vista U. machine works fine too - after it's "healed"

Time after time ........

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Marshall

Re: Vista Ultimate loses internet connection
Checked it all out. Nothing seems to matter. Reboot seems to help and
sleep/hibernate seem to ruin the connection

Fred Marshall

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I answered your question in other post.

I looked for another post answering *my* question / post and didn't find it.
Is there more information?

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Marshall

Re: Vista Ultimate loses internet connection
Robert,

I turned off sleep/hibernation modes entirely to avoid the problem. The
system boots into a good state consistently and loses something critical if
it sleeps or hibernates. I suspect what's being lost is DNS but can't
figure out why.

With static IP, the DNS addresses are also static. So why DNS would be lost
is puzzling.
The result is no connection through to the internet.
Another result is that the system appears to get nothing from the browse
list.

I sniffed the network and it appears that, when broken, the Vista machine is
sending out packets and no packets are being sent back to it! Seems like
that ought to be a real clue but I'm a bit mystified as to what that would
be. It has all the appearance that none of the outgoing packets are being
received except my sniffer computer sees them! Maybe some bad interaction
with the router.

I've ordered a gigabit switch to do all the interfacing on the network.
Will see if that helps. I'd prefer to not replace the router but may need
to do that? It's an old Linksys BEFW11S4.

Fred

http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
Whenever Vista Ultimate sleeps it loses its internet connection.
Static IP.
Eventually it recovers but the wait is minutes long - or requires
intervention by running repair.
DNS isn't working

XP machine on same network works fine.
Vista U. machine works fine too - after it's "healed"

Time after time ........

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred

Kim [MS]

Re: Vista Ultimate loses internet connection
Fred Marshall,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. From a previous post by my coworker
Karl, this could well be an issue with your router. Differences in the
networking
stack between XP and Vista have exposed a lot of router bugs which were
hitherto hidden.

Vista uses UPnP much more heavily than XP ever did, and we've found that a
lot of routers have suboptimal UPnP implementations, causing them to crash.

1. Does this happen on both a wired connection to the router AND a wireless
connection?

2. when Vista "loses" connection, does it come back automatically, or do you
have to reboot your router? Do the other xp machines also lose
connectivity?

3. If ONLY the vista machine loses connectivity, then there is an issue with
your vista machine. Make sure your drivers are all up to date. If
wireless, make sure you have the latest drivers for your card. Go to
linksys' website and verifiy that what you've got is the latest.

4. While you're there, make sure you have the latest firmware for your
router. We found a lot of bugs in router firmware during development, and
the vendors posted a lot of firmware updates.

5. Then, try running the router tool at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx, and see if it
passes the tests.

If we can narrow the issue down to your router, that is, that when Vista
loses connectivity ALL the machines (xp too) lose connectivity, then there
are some things worth trying:

A possible solution worth trying is to turn of UPnP. This can be done on
the router (you would have to log onto the routers config page, find out
where it has the UPnP on/off switch, and turn it off) or from the machine
itself.

You can also try disabling window scaling.

So, please try these out:

1. Go to the webtool, and when the test is finished, click on the "view
detailed report" link, and copy that data off & save it.
2. turn off UPnP, either on the router or on the vista machine:
from an elevated command prompt,type the following:
a. sc config SSDPSRV start= disabled
b. net stop ssdpsrv <or> reboot the system
3. Try your test again. If it still fails after some perioed of time, turn
off Window Scaling:
From an elevated command prompt, type the following:
a. netsh in tcp set gl auto=di
<no reboot required>

"Fred Marshall" wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I turned off sleep/hibernation modes entirely to avoid the problem. The
> system boots into a good state consistently and loses something critical if
> it sleeps or hibernates. I suspect what's being lost is DNS but can't
> figure out why.
>
> With static IP, the DNS addresses are also static. So why DNS would be lost
> is puzzling.
> The result is no connection through to the internet.
> Another result is that the system appears to get nothing from the browse
> list.
>
> I sniffed the network and it appears that, when broken, the Vista machine is
> sending out packets and no packets are being sent back to it! Seems like
> that ought to be a real clue but I'm a bit mystified as to what that would
> be. It has all the appearance that none of the outgoing packets are being
> received except my sniffer computer sees them! Maybe some bad interaction
> with the router.
>
> I've ordered a gigabit switch to do all the interfacing on the network.
> Will see if that helps. I'd prefer to not replace the router but may need
> to do that? It's an old Linksys BEFW11S4.
>
> Fred
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I answered your question in other post. Try to re-configure the NIC. This
> cases may help,
>
> Losing wireless connection to ...Also, try to re-configure the NIC. This
> case may help, Solved: Limited connectivity with ...Solved: Limited
> connectivity with Vista notebook . ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=390
>
> chicagotech.net :: View topic - Solved: Limited connectivity with ...
> A135-S4427 Satellite notebook that was just released with Vista Home
> Premium, ... A: You may need to re-configure the NIC, for example low the
> speed. ...
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=246
>
> Acquiring network address
> 2. Re-configure the NIC speed and duplex. 3. Upgrade the router or
> switch firmware. Related Topics. Cannot access the network because of NIC
> settings ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/Networkin...ingnetwork.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> Whenever Vista Ultimate sleeps it loses its internet connection.
> Static IP.
> Eventually it recovers but the wait is minutes long - or requires
> intervention by running repair.
> DNS isn't working
>
> XP machine on same network works fine.
> Vista U. machine works fine too - after it's "healed"
>
> Time after time ........
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

chexxer

Re: Vista Ultimate loses internet connection

I have exactly the same problem, XP computers OK, Vista loses DNS for a
few minutes on Lan connection, even after I switched hibernation of, but
nowhere as bad, more on Wireless below, and email and Skype work OK
while browsing is unavailable.

The Microsoft test suggested doesn't fare to well with my Smoothwall
Express 3 firewall, only the first and last test are supported?. I'll
have to experiment with turning uPNP on and off.

I have just read somewhere else, that turning off the IPv6 setting in
the Lan/Wlan network settings solved the problem. I'm just about to try
it.

I use both my Wireless and Ethernet connection to test this problem,
the wireless is much worse probably because I have DHCP enabled for it,
quite often it changes the ip from 192.168.xxx.xxx to 169.254.xxx.xxx
and a disconnect and reconnect doesn't solve the problem, I have to
resort to rebooting.

I'll try and post back in about 24 hours after I've giving both
connections a good soak.

--
chexxer
trblmkr

Re: Vista Ultimate loses internet connection

I've ben having the same problem on my Dell XPS. I lose the network
connection on both wireless and LAN. This happens when i'm using the
laptop. The only thing I was able to find was rebooting the laptop.
I've also turned off IPv6. It doesn't help with the problem.

--
trblmkr
chexxer

Re: Vista Ultimate loses internet connection

Mine has been running OK lately, but unfortunately my WiFi access point
at home has packed up, so I've only been running on an Ethernet
connection only for a couple of months.

And I've also loaded SP1 since posting on this thread.

Should be testing the wireless again in a couple of months when I move
house.

--
chexxer
Mene7

Re: Vista Ultimate loses internet connection

I had a similar problem - the network connection on my Vista Ultimate 64
computer was intermittent. Rebooting the computer would fix the problem
temporarily. Attempting to copy a >300 MB (approximately) file to/from a
file server (W2K PC) would start fine, but after a couple of minutes it
would time out, while at the same time the taskbar network icon would
display the yellow triangle sign of problems. A couple of minutes later
the connection would be restored and the cycle (about 5min period) would
repeat. This happened in spite of the fixed IP address on the computer.
At some point I followed all the recommendations on this forum and
others– including pushing new firmware on the router (RV042),
removing the router and connecting directly with a crossover cable,
trying different settings for the parameters listed by “netsh
interface tcp show global”. All the other computers in the house
– 1 Vista HP, 2 XP Pro and 1 W2K File Server – did not have
this problem. So, I concluded this was a problem specific to this
computer.

The one thing that fixed my problem was the replacement of the NIC
drivers. The VU64 computer uses the Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard with
a couple of Realtek NICs. The drivers installed through Windows Updates
– Realtek RTL8168B/RTL8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
(NDIS 6.0) – caused the problem. I downloaded and installed the
latest drivers (dated 20081016) from the Gigabyte website and now the
NICs are listed under windows as Realtek RTL8168C(P)/RTL8111C(P) Family
PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0).

Hope this helps someone. I have spent a couple of days researching
this most annoying issue.

--
Mene7