Peer to peer with vista home

bruce-s

Peer to peer with vista home
I am having trouble with file sharing on vista home premium. I have a seconf
drive that is set up to serve files to a small network with some vista and
some xp machines attached.

File sharing works fine most of the time, but occasionally, the shared files
become unavailable to the network for no apparent reason. Most of the time I
can resolve the problem by rebooting the machine that is sharing the files.

Any suggestions?

Bruce
Chuck

Re: Peer to peer with vista home
On Mon, 14 May 2007 10:45:01 -0700, bruce-s <bruce-s@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am having trouble with file sharing on vista home premium. I have a seconf
>drive that is set up to serve files to a small network with some vista and
>some xp machines attached.
>
>File sharing works fine most of the time, but occasionally, the shared files
>become unavailable to the network for no apparent reason. Most of the time I
>can resolve the problem by rebooting the machine that is sharing the files.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Bruce

Bruce,

Do all computers lose connection with the server simultaneously?

How many computers on your small network? Windows XP Home, and I'll bet Vista
Home, have a 5 connection limit, and that doesn't always mean only 5 other
computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/server-availability-affected-by.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...fected-by.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
bruce-s

Re: Peer to peer with vista home
Chuck,
yes, All of the connections drop out at the same time. I have 6 compuers
connected including the one that is hosting the files using either vista home
premium or xp pro.

Bruce

On Mon, 14 May 2007 12:57:00 -0700, bruce-s <bruces@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 10:45:01 -0700, bruce-s <bruce-s@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I am having trouble with file sharing on vista home premium. I have a seconf
>> >drive that is set up to serve files to a small network with some vista and
>> >some xp machines attached.
>> >
>> >File sharing works fine most of the time, but occasionally, the shared files
>> >become unavailable to the network for no apparent reason. Most of the time I
>> >can resolve the problem by rebooting the machine that is sharing the files.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions?
>> >
>> >Bruce

>> Bruce,
>>
>> Do all computers lose connection with the server simultaneously?
>>
>> How many computers on your small network? Windows XP Home, and I'll bet Vista
>> Home, have a 5 connection limit, and that doesn't always mean only 5 other
>> computers.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/server-availability-affected-by.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...fected-by.html

>Chuck,
>yes, All of the connections drop out at the same time. I have 6 compuers
>connected including the one that is hosting the files using either vista home
>premium or xp pro.
>
>Bruce

Bruce,

If all computers are losing connectivity simultaneously, is the server still up
when this happens? Check the power settings for the network adapter, and make
sure that it's not allowed to power down when idle.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/does-your-computer-lose-network.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...e-network.html