Win 7 sharing question

Questor

Win 7 sharing question
I realize this is a Vista group, but I can't seem to locate any MS Win7
group with my NG reader (TB).

On my Win7 machine (Win7 Home Premium)I have marked several folders as
being shared, and they remain shared at all times, but there is
absolutely NO indication of the folder being shared when viewed in
Explorer on that computer. In previous versions of the OS there has
been the 'palm-up hand" and the little 'whatever it is' in Vista but
nothing in Win7. Is it something I have to turn on somewhere, or is it
just that Win7 provides no visual indication of sharing on a folder?

Questor
Questor

Re: Win 7 sharing question
Found my own answer here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-a5a06c2a79c6

I definitely agree with the thread - it was a very backwards move by MS
to remove the 'shared' icon.

The whole thread makes for very interesting reading.

Questor

--->
> I realize this is a Vista group, but I can't seem to locate any MS Win7
> group with my NG reader (TB).
>
> On my Win7 machine (Win7 Home Premium)I have marked several folders as
> being shared, and they remain shared at all times, but there is
> absolutely NO indication of the folder being shared when viewed in
> Explorer on that computer. In previous versions of the OS there has been
> the 'palm-up hand" and the little 'whatever it is' in Vista but nothing
> in Win7. Is it something I have to turn on somewhere, or is it just that
> Win7 provides no visual indication of sharing on a folder?
>
> Questor

Dave

Re: Win 7 sharing question
LOL, lots of sour grapes there....
BTW, there will not be any MSFT newsgroups for Win 7, or for anything else
soon.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
> Found my own answer here:
>
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-a5a06c2a79c6
>
> I definitely agree with the thread - it was a very backwards move by MS to
> remove the 'shared' icon.
>
> The whole thread makes for very interesting reading.
>
> Questor
>
> --->
>> I realize this is a Vista group, but I can't seem to locate any MS Win7
>> group with my NG reader (TB).
>>
>> On my Win7 machine (Win7 Home Premium)I have marked several folders as
>> being shared, and they remain shared at all times, but there is
>> absolutely NO indication of the folder being shared when viewed in
>> Explorer on that computer. In previous versions of the OS there has been
>> the 'palm-up hand" and the little 'whatever it is' in Vista but nothing
>> in Win7. Is it something I have to turn on somewhere, or is it just that
>> Win7 provides no visual indication of sharing on a folder?
>>
>> Questor

Questor

Re: Win 7 sharing question
I gathered that from the message from NNTP @ MS here in this NG. Darn
shame. I purely do NOT like web interfaces to anything.

Questor
Dave

Re: Win 7 sharing question
I'm using the NNTP Bridge, which works pretty good. It allows me to read &
post to the MSFT forums with Windows Live Mail. But I don't know it will
continue to work in the future.
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums

--

> I gathered that from the message from NNTP @ MS here in this NG. Darn
> shame. I purely do NOT like web interfaces to anything.
>
> Questor

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Win 7 sharing question
Hi
Win 7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
Sharing configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win 7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem to adapt.
Firewall instructions.
Win 7 -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
Win7 Work Network with a little visual help),
,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

>I realize this is a Vista group, but I can't seem to locate any MS Win7
>group with my NG reader (TB).
>
> On my Win7 machine (Win7 Home Premium)I have marked several folders as
> being shared, and they remain shared at all times, but there is absolutely
> NO indication of the folder being shared when viewed in Explorer on that
> computer. In previous versions of the OS there has been the 'palm-up
> hand" and the little 'whatever it is' in Vista but nothing in Win7. Is it
> something I have to turn on somewhere, or is it just that Win7 provides no
> visual indication of sharing on a folder?
>
> Questor

Questor

Re: Win 7 sharing question
Thanks for the info, Jack. I've never had a problem sharing between
Win7, Vista and XP Pro anywhere on my home LAN. I was just cruising
around my Win7 machine and noticed that there wasn't any indication of
what folders were shared or not. This is what prompted my question.

I now know that Win7 was deisgned to not show a shared folder - which is
really, really, dumb.

Questor

--->
> Hi
> Win 7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
> Sharing configurations.
> Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
> configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
> sharing.
> Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that
> let you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
> Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
> risks.
> The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
> Win 7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to
> Vista's configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in
> different place, and look a little different, but it should not be a
> problem to adapt.
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall
> should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network
> IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your
> 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Win 7 -
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
>
> Win7 Work Network with a little visual help),
> ,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot
> all the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>

> "Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
>> I realize this is a Vista group, but I can't seem to locate any MS
>> Win7 group with my NG reader (TB).
>>
>> On my Win7 machine (Win7 Home Premium)I have marked several folders as
>> being shared, and they remain shared at all times, but there is
>> absolutely NO indication of the folder being shared when viewed in
>> Explorer on that computer. In previous versions of the OS there has
>> been the 'palm-up hand" and the little 'whatever it is' in Vista but
>> nothing in Win7. Is it something I have to turn on somewhere, or is it
>> just that Win7 provides no visual indication of sharing on a folder?
>>
>> Questor

Bill Kearney

Re: Win 7 sharing question
> I now know that Win7 was deisgned to not show a shared folder - which is
> really, really, dumb.

No it's not, because users leave default settings enabled and end up getting
their machines hacked.

Questor

Re: Win 7 sharing question
--->
>> I now know that Win7 was deisgned to not show a shared folder - which
>> is really, really, dumb.

> No it's not, because users leave default settings enabled and end up
> getting their machines hacked.

That makes no sense at all Bill. The displaying or not displaying of a
sharing icon really has no bearing on anything except being able to
glance at a page of folders in Win Explorer and see immediately which
folders are shared and which aren't. Default settings don't come into
play at all because the decision to leave the sharing overlay out
completely.

Questor