Win 7 / Vista Sharing Problem

Angstromm

Win 7 / Vista Sharing Problem
My desktop is a Win7 Ultimate system and laptop is Vista Ultimate. I've
tired setting all the permissions for accessing certain drives on my Desktop
(and laptop) but can't seem to access anything except the the usual Publich
folders. At first, I was able to access an external, USB 1.5 TB drive, but
as soon as I formatted from a FAT32 filesystem to NTFS, I could no longer
access it--get an "Access Denied" error. I've gone back in to check all
permissions and everything looks in order. There are other drives I'd like
access to as well but get the same error message. I set up both systems
(desktop and laptop) w/o passwords for my user accounts (Administrator) and
I don't have any other user accounts. I'm stymied and have no idea how to
proceed. Any/all ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

Frankster

Re: Win 7 / Vista Sharing Problem

"Angstromm" <mu.null@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My desktop is a Win7 Ultimate system and laptop is Vista Ultimate. I've
> tired setting all the permissions for accessing certain drives on my
> Desktop (and laptop) but can't seem to access anything except the the
> usual Publich folders. At first, I was able to access an external, USB 1.5
> TB drive, but as soon as I formatted from a FAT32 filesystem to NTFS, I
> could no longer access it--get an "Access Denied" error. I've gone back in
> to check all permissions and everything looks in order. There are other
> drives I'd like access to as well but get the same error message. I set up
> both systems (desktop and laptop) w/o passwords for my user accounts
> (Administrator) and I don't have any other user accounts. I'm stymied and
> have no idea how to proceed. Any/all ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

Make sure you choose the "Work" Network Type on your Win7 machine. If you
chose "Home", the Win7 machine will ONLY connect to other Win7 machines.

-Frank

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Win 7 / Vista Sharing Problem
Hi
Win7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
Sharing configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win 7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem to adapt.
Firewall instructions.
Win7 -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
Win7 Work Network with a little visual help),
,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Angstromm" <mu.null@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My desktop is a Win7 Ultimate system and laptop is Vista Ultimate. I've
> tired setting all the permissions for accessing certain drives on my
> Desktop (and laptop) but can't seem to access anything except the the
> usual Publich folders. At first, I was able to access an external, USB 1.5
> TB drive, but as soon as I formatted from a FAT32 filesystem to NTFS, I
> could no longer access it--get an "Access Denied" error. I've gone back in
> to check all permissions and everything looks in order. There are other
> drives I'd like access to as well but get the same error message. I set up
> both systems (desktop and laptop) w/o passwords for my user accounts
> (Administrator) and I don't have any other user accounts. I'm stymied and
> have no idea how to proceed. Any/all ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

Angstromm

Re: Win 7 / Vista Sharing Problem
Thanks for the replies! I was finally able to setup shares with specific
folders, though not with entire drives as I had hoped. But, for now, this is
great.

Thanks again for your time and trouble!