Change default network type?

farhanarain@gmail.com

Change default network type?
14th May 2007

Running Vista Ultimate, my PC has 2 network cards. 1 is connected to
my wireless router, and second one to office network. The problem is
that every system restart, my office network card is reset, and the
type is set to Public which creates problems with office LAN. Is there
any way to force the new network type to Private?

At times, the IP address is also changed on restart, which I have to
reset to 192.168.0.1 as I am using my PC as internet gateway as well.

Any suggestions?

Farhan

Andrew Tapp

RE: Change default network type?
I have the same issue with one of two adapters, it happens to be the
'Microsoft Loopback Adapter' but always defaults to 'Public Network' and i am
unable to re-name the network name.

Any help would be appreciated.

"farhanarain@gmail.com" wrote:

> 14th May 2007
>
> Running Vista Ultimate, my PC has 2 network cards. 1 is connected to
> my wireless router, and second one to office network. The problem is
> that every system restart, my office network card is reset, and the
> type is set to Public which creates problems with office LAN. Is there
> any way to force the new network type to Private?
>
> At times, the IP address is also changed on restart, which I have to
> reset to 192.168.0.1 as I am using my PC as internet gateway as well.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Farhan

AJR

Re: Change default network type?
Think about it - check definition for Private versus Public networks. By
virtue of being an "office LAN' it defaults to Public.

<farhanarain@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1179129332.801026.10160@y80g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
> 14th May 2007
>
> Running Vista Ultimate, my PC has 2 network cards. 1 is connected to
> my wireless router, and second one to office network. The problem is
> that every system restart, my office network card is reset, and the
> type is set to Public which creates problems with office LAN. Is there
> any way to force the new network type to Private?
>
> At times, the IP address is also changed on restart, which I have to
> reset to 192.168.0.1 as I am using my PC as internet gateway as well.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Farhan

Andrew Tapp

Re: Change default network type?
For my setup the "Office LAN" represents my home network, and/or virtual
network, which i trust, and therefore want it to be "Private".

Is there anyway to override the default settings?
Is there anyway to rename the network name from "Unidentified network"?
Is it possible to add a new network?

Many thanks.

"AJR" wrote:

> Think about it - check definition for Private versus Public networks. By
> virtue of being an "office LAN' it defaults to Public.
>
> <farhanarain@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1179129332.801026.10160@y80g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
> > 14th May 2007
> >
> > Running Vista Ultimate, my PC has 2 network cards. 1 is connected to
> > my wireless router, and second one to office network. The problem is
> > that every system restart, my office network card is reset, and the
> > type is set to Public which creates problems with office LAN. Is there
> > any way to force the new network type to Private?
> >
> > At times, the IP address is also changed on restart, which I have to
> > reset to 192.168.0.1 as I am using my PC as internet gateway as well.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Farhan

farhanarain@gmail.com

Re: Change default network type?
Andrew, exactly the same setup as mine, with exactly the same
(unanswered) questions.

Somehow, I've found Vista to be much more difficult and frustrating,
even for doing the simplest littlest things. I'd love to have a Vista
'Techi' edition, much lesser user-friendly, but with more power to the
user.

Farhan.