Guide for Net Dummies

Fetterbr

Guide for Net Dummies
Hi.
I have been messing around on my Newly Vista Ultima setup on 2 pc's and i
still havent manage to get online for more than 1 hour. Every thing was
working well when i had my Winxp on my computers and never had any problem on
getting on the net with both of them, but now i am getting more and more
cunfused the more i try to desperatly set it up. I do not want to say that
Vista is worse than XP as it has a lot of good parts, but for networking it
has become very confusing (for me), i must say. The worth thing is that
suddenly something works and you see one computer on the net, but you dont
know why or what you did to get it working and than you try to get the other
machine online and than suddenly none are working again. LOL.
I believe honestly that i have manage to set it up as i must be and looks
very simular as i had it on xp but still i cant get my second pc on the lan
to connect to the net.
Does anyone please have a guide for me as a Dummie how to setup 2 pc.s on a
network and that both have internet connection. They are connected trough
cable and one of the pc's is direct connected with broadband trough cable. I
dont use router. And it has been working before .
Any help appriciated.

Finn.

Chuck

Re: Guide for Net Dummies
On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:03:03 -0700, Fetterbr
<Fetterbr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi.
>I have been messing around on my Newly Vista Ultima setup on 2 pc's and i
>still havent manage to get online for more than 1 hour. Every thing was
>working well when i had my Winxp on my computers and never had any problem on
>getting on the net with both of them, but now i am getting more and more
>cunfused the more i try to desperatly set it up. I do not want to say that
>Vista is worse than XP as it has a lot of good parts, but for networking it
>has become very confusing (for me), i must say. The worth thing is that
>suddenly something works and you see one computer on the net, but you dont
>know why or what you did to get it working and than you try to get the other
>machine online and than suddenly none are working again. LOL.
>I believe honestly that i have manage to set it up as i must be and looks
>very simular as i had it on xp but still i cant get my second pc on the lan
>to connect to the net.
>Does anyone please have a guide for me as a Dummie how to setup 2 pc.s on a
>network and that both have internet connection. They are connected trough
>cable and one of the pc's is direct connected with broadband trough cable. I
>dont use router. And it has been working before .
>Any help appriciated.
>
>Finn.

Finn,

Most guides for dummies will start with advice about buying a router. Why are
you bent on wasting time? Get a router.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...computers.html

Now if you have both computers directly connected to cable, AND you are paying
for 2 connections (why??), it's possible that it may work sometimes but not
always because you may or may not get 2 connections that are on the same subnet,
enabling things to work.

If you MUST continue this way (and I don't agree with your boast "it has been
working before"), use IPX/SPX instead of IP for the file sharing, please.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/one-unique-case-where-ipxspx-may-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-may-help.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Fetterbr

Re: Guide for Net Dummies
Hi Chuck.
No maybe i was not clear in my explanation. I have 2 pc's. A and B, they are
connected trough LAN cards with a cable. Computer A has 2 LAN cards and is
with the second card than connected to a Broadband connection. Its actually a
simple setup and yes you are right i should get a router but for now i just
want them to talk together like before.

Thanks.
Finn
"Chuck" wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:03:03 -0700, Fetterbr
> <Fetterbr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi.
> >I have been messing around on my Newly Vista Ultima setup on 2 pc's and i
> >still havent manage to get online for more than 1 hour. Every thing was
> >working well when i had my Winxp on my computers and never had any problem on
> >getting on the net with both of them, but now i am getting more and more
> >cunfused the more i try to desperatly set it up. I do not want to say that
> >Vista is worse than XP as it has a lot of good parts, but for networking it
> >has become very confusing (for me), i must say. The worth thing is that
> >suddenly something works and you see one computer on the net, but you dont
> >know why or what you did to get it working and than you try to get the other
> >machine online and than suddenly none are working again. LOL.
> >I believe honestly that i have manage to set it up as i must be and looks
> >very simular as i had it on xp but still i cant get my second pc on the lan
> >to connect to the net.
> >Does anyone please have a guide for me as a Dummie how to setup 2 pc.s on a
> >network and that both have internet connection. They are connected trough
> >cable and one of the pc's is direct connected with broadband trough cable. I
> >dont use router. And it has been working before .
> >Any help appriciated.
> >
> >Finn.

> Finn,
>
> Most guides for dummies will start with advice about buying a router. Why are
> you bent on wasting time? Get a router.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...computers.html
>
> Now if you have both computers directly connected to cable, AND you are paying
> for 2 connections (why??), it's possible that it may work sometimes but not
> always because you may or may not get 2 connections that are on the same subnet,
> enabling things to work.
>
> If you MUST continue this way (and I don't agree with your boast "it has been
> working before"), use IPX/SPX instead of IP for the file sharing, please.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/one-unique-case-where-ipxspx-may-help.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-may-help.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: Guide for Net Dummies
On Mon, 14 May 2007 00:28:02 -0700, Fetterbr
<Fetterbr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:03:03 -0700, Fetterbr
>> <Fetterbr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi.
>> >I have been messing around on my Newly Vista Ultima setup on 2 pc's and i
>> >still havent manage to get online for more than 1 hour. Every thing was
>> >working well when i had my Winxp on my computers and never had any problem on
>> >getting on the net with both of them, but now i am getting more and more
>> >cunfused the more i try to desperatly set it up. I do not want to say that
>> >Vista is worse than XP as it has a lot of good parts, but for networking it
>> >has become very confusing (for me), i must say. The worth thing is that
>> >suddenly something works and you see one computer on the net, but you dont
>> >know why or what you did to get it working and than you try to get the other
>> >machine online and than suddenly none are working again. LOL.
>> >I believe honestly that i have manage to set it up as i must be and looks
>> >very simular as i had it on xp but still i cant get my second pc on the lan
>> >to connect to the net.
>> >Does anyone please have a guide for me as a Dummie how to setup 2 pc.s on a
>> >network and that both have internet connection. They are connected trough
>> >cable and one of the pc's is direct connected with broadband trough cable. I
>> >dont use router. And it has been working before .
>> >Any help appriciated.
>> >
>> >Finn.

>> Finn,
>>
>> Most guides for dummies will start with advice about buying a router. Why are
>> you bent on wasting time? Get a router.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...computers.html
>>
>> Now if you have both computers directly connected to cable, AND you are paying
>> for 2 connections (why??), it's possible that it may work sometimes but not
>> always because you may or may not get 2 connections that are on the same subnet,
>> enabling things to work.
>>
>> If you MUST continue this way (and I don't agree with your boast "it has been
>> working before"), use IPX/SPX instead of IP for the file sharing, please.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/one-unique-case-where-ipxspx-may-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-may-help.html

>Hi Chuck.
>No maybe i was not clear in my explanation. I have 2 pc's. A and B, they are
>connected trough LAN cards with a cable. Computer A has 2 LAN cards and is
>with the second card than connected to a Broadband connection. Its actually a
>simple setup and yes you are right i should get a router but for now i just
>want them to talk together like before.
>
>Thanks.
>Finn

OK, Finn,

That's much better. You're talking about using a cross-over cable between the 2
computers, and ICS on the first computer.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/connecting-two-computers-with.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ters-with.html

Get connectivity working. After you get connectivity working, then look at file
sharing. One problem at a time.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html