New Shares not Working

Margo

New Shares not Working
Home Network consisting of WinXP Pro machine & Win Vista Home Premium + NAT
Router. Internet is fine on both computers. Both Computers can see all
shares. Vista machine can browse both computers

I setup Vista last week. Pretty much straight away shared one of my drives.
That share is working. Every share I have tried to setup since then does not
work. The XP machine can see the share but gets Access denied message.

I changed my network settings (I think after the first share) as I needed a
static IP address for some port forwarding rules (IRC etc.) Any new shares
have not worked. I have already browsed this forum and read the various
tutorials. netBios over TCP/IP has been explicitly enabled.

Please help. My husband & I work together on websites and we need the file
sharing access with write privileges on both machines.

The only working share , my E Drive has access enabled for "Unknown
Connection". I don't what that is but I"m pretty sure if I remove it there
goes my hubby's access to my E drive.
Chuck

Re: New Shares not Working
On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:09:01 -0700, Margo <Margo@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Home Network consisting of WinXP Pro machine & Win Vista Home Premium + NAT
>Router. Internet is fine on both computers. Both Computers can see all
>shares. Vista machine can browse both computers
>
>I setup Vista last week. Pretty much straight away shared one of my drives.
>That share is working. Every share I have tried to setup since then does not
>work. The XP machine can see the share but gets Access denied message.
>
>I changed my network settings (I think after the first share) as I needed a
>static IP address for some port forwarding rules (IRC etc.) Any new shares
>have not worked. I have already browsed this forum and read the various
>tutorials. netBios over TCP/IP has been explicitly enabled.
>
>Please help. My husband & I work together on websites and we need the file
>sharing access with write privileges on both machines.
>
>The only working share , my E Drive has access enabled for "Unknown
>Connection". I don't what that is but I"m pretty sure if I remove it there
>goes my hubby's access to my E drive.

Access Denied is an interesting error. You can get it for numerous reasons, of
widely variant nature.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ss-denied.html

What authentication / file sharing are you using? On the XP computer, are you
using Simple, or Advanced, file sharing? On the Vista computer, is Password
Protected file sharing Enabled, or Disabled? You need to balance the setup - if
you use AFS on XP, use PPS Enabled on Vista. If SFS on XP, use PPS Disabled on
Vista.

If you use either SFS or PPS Disabled, check restrictanonymous.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ur-server.html

And make sure that your firewall is properly setup, and that you don't have any
overlooked firewalls.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Margo

Re: New Shares not Working
Checked and triple checked.

Firewalls on both machines are off.
Simple File sharing is on XP, PPS is disabled on Vista.
restrictanonymous was already set to 0

I have been troubleshooting this for 48 hours. I can browse the XP machine
perfectly. The network is working fine. The Vista shares are NOT.

I tried redoing all the shares with UAC on and off. The original shares that
were working are now not working.

The XP machine can see the vista machine on the network. The Public folder
is also accessible and browseable.

I can't get any other custom shares working.
Chuck

Re: New Shares not Working
On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:19:00 -0700, Margo <Margo@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Checked and triple checked.
>
>Firewalls on both machines are off.
>Simple File sharing is on XP, PPS is disabled on Vista.
>restrictanonymous was already set to 0
>
>I have been troubleshooting this for 48 hours. I can browse the XP machine
>perfectly. The network is working fine. The Vista shares are NOT.
>
>I tried redoing all the shares with UAC on and off. The original shares that
>were working are now not working.
>
>The XP machine can see the vista machine on the network. The Public folder
>is also accessible and browseable.
>
>I can't get any other custom shares working.

OK, with SFS On and PPS Off, you're using Guest authentication. Is Guest
enabled for network access, on both computers? On the Vista computer, does
Everyone have the permissions needed (remember on Vista, Everyone by default
does NOT have permissions to new shares).
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Help>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-xp.html#Help

Chuck wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:19:00 -0700, Margo <Margo@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Checked and triple checked.
>>
>> Firewalls on both machines are off.
>> Simple File sharing is on XP, PPS is disabled on Vista.
>> restrictanonymous was already set to 0
>>
>> I have been troubleshooting this for 48 hours. I can browse the XP machine
>> perfectly. The network is working fine. The Vista shares are NOT.
>>
>> I tried redoing all the shares with UAC on and off. The original shares that
>> were working are now not working.
>>
>> The XP machine can see the vista machine on the network. The Public folder
>> is also accessible and browseable.
>>
>> I can't get any other custom shares working.

> OK, with SFS On and PPS Off, you're using Guest authentication. Is Guest
> enabled for network access, on both computers? On the Vista computer, does
> Everyone have the permissions needed (remember on Vista, Everyone by default
> does NOT have permissions to new shares).
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Help>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-xp.html#Help
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

Hi Chuck

I did manage to solve this. On the drives themselves under Security,
"Everyone" was not actually present as a user. So even though I set up
the shares correctly, they still didn't work.

I added "everyone" in and then setup the shares again, and everything is
working ...

phew.

Thank you for your time.
Chuck

Re: New Shares not Working
On Thu, 17 May 2007 13:40:46 +0800, Margo <nimisha31@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Chuck wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:19:00 -0700, Margo <Margo@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Checked and triple checked.
>>>
>>> Firewalls on both machines are off.
>>> Simple File sharing is on XP, PPS is disabled on Vista.
>>> restrictanonymous was already set to 0
>>>
>>> I have been troubleshooting this for 48 hours. I can browse the XP machine
>>> perfectly. The network is working fine. The Vista shares are NOT.
>>>
>>> I tried redoing all the shares with UAC on and off. The original shares that
>>> were working are now not working.
>>>
>>> The XP machine can see the vista machine on the network. The Public folder
>>> is also accessible and browseable.
>>>
>>> I can't get any other custom shares working.

>> OK, with SFS On and PPS Off, you're using Guest authentication. Is Guest
>> enabled for network access, on both computers? On the Vista computer, does
>> Everyone have the permissions needed (remember on Vista, Everyone by default
>> does NOT have permissions to new shares).
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Help>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-xp.html#Help
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>>

>Hi Chuck
>
>I did manage to solve this. On the drives themselves under Security,
>"Everyone" was not actually present as a user. So even though I set up
>the shares correctly, they still didn't work.
>
>I added "everyone" in and then setup the shares again, and everything is
>working ...
>
>phew.
>
>Thank you for your time.

That would do it. Deny by default, not permit by default, now.

Thanks for the feedback.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#Followup>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Followup