Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop

ofarrell.michael@gmail.com

Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop
I recently bought a new Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop with Windows
Vista Home Premium Edition installed. I've since had an issue
connecting to wireless networks that use a Linksys WRT54G router. I
use this router at home and two of my friends do also. Everytime I
connect my laptop to these routers the router drops the Internet
connection and resets itself and it does this every 4-5 mins. However,
I do not have this problem on other wireless networks (school, hotels,
etc.). Also, other laptops that use XP/Mac connect to these routers
without any problems. My laptop is the one causing the conflict.

I've tried everything I could think of. I called Linksys many times
and they tell me this router as been tested an is compatible with
Vista. I also called Sony and troubleshooted many things and they
claim the problem to be with the router.

Can anyone help?

TY.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop
You may want to use static IP instead of DHCP.These search result may help,

Vista: Wireless local onlySome wireless NIC or router DHCP may be incompatibilities with Vista. The Vista may be able to access local network but the Internet and shows "Local only". ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=530 - Similar pages

chicagotech.net :: View topic - Troubleshooting Vista Wireless
Vista: Wireless local only http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=530 Losing wireless connection to network and internet ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=300

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
<ofarrell.michael@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1179083001.347264.251980@p77g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
[...]

S Malin

Compatabilty problem: Microsoft Vista - Sony Vaio -Linksys WRT54G
I have exactly the same problem with Vista, a Vaio VGN-SZ4MN/B and a Linksys WRT54G router (with latest Linksys firmware. The XP PCs on my home network work fine on the wireless network (which uses key-based WEP security), including another Vaio portable that I have. So there clearly is a comapatibilty problem between the Linksys router, Microsoft Vista and my Sony Vaio. Any suggestions welcome. - Sam

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Tyler Olson

Not (only?) a Vista problem
Don't be too quick to blame Vista. I have a similar problem (router wouldn't issue an IP address under DHCP) on my Vaio with 3 different Linksys routers (both wired and wireless,) but worked fine on non-Linksys routers. I installed SuSE Linux 10.2 on the Vaio, with the same results. I'm thinking Sony has some setting hidden in BIOS that is messing with us.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Kim [MS]

RE: Not (only?) a Vista problem
ofarrell.michael, S Malin, and Tyler:

Differences in the networking stack between XP and Vista have exposed a lot
of router bugs which were hitherto hidden.

Vista uses UPnP much more heavily than XP ever did, and we've found that a
lot of routers have suboptimal UPnP implementations, causing them to crash.

1. Does this happen on both a wired connection to the router AND a wireless
connection?

2. when Vista "loses" connection, does it come back automatically, or do you
have to reboot your router? Do the other xp machines also lose
connectivity?

3. If ONLY the vista machine loses connectivity, then there is an issue with
your vista machine. Make sure your drivers are all up to date. If
wireless, make sure you have the latest drivers for your card. Go to
linksys' website and verifiy that what you've got is the latest.

4. While you're there, make sure you have the latest firmware for your
router. We found a lot of bugs in router firmware during development, and
the vendors posted a lot of firmware updates.

5. Then, try running the router tool at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx, and see if it
passes the tests.

If we can narrow the issue down to your router, that is, that when Vista
loses connectivity ALL the machines (xp too) lose connectivity, then there
are some things worth trying:

A possible solution worth trying is to turn of UPnP. This can be done on
the router (you would have to log onto the routers config page, find out
where it has the UPnP on/off switch, and turn it off) or from the machine
itself.

You can also try disabling window scaling.

So, please try these out:

1. Go to the webtool, and when the test is finished, click on the "view
detailed report" link, and copy that data off & save it.
2. turn off UPnP, either on the router or on the vista machine:
from an elevated command prompt,type the following:
a. sc config SSDPSRV start= disabled
b. net stop ssdpsrv <or> reboot the system
3. Try your test again. If it still fails after some perioed of time, turn
off Window Scaling:
From an elevated command prompt, type the following:
a. netsh in tcp set gl auto=di
<no reboot required>

(original post by KarlF)

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble.
"Tyler Olson" wrote:

> Don't be too quick to blame Vista. I have a similar problem (router wouldn't issue an IP address under DHCP) on my Vaio with 3 different Linksys routers (both wired and wireless,) but worked fine on non-Linksys routers. I installed SuSE Linux 10.2 on the Vaio, with the same results. I'm thinking Sony has some setting hidden in BIOS that is messing with us.

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

GeekyIdiot

Re: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop

I have a similar problem, but it's confusing too. i was visiting my
relatives, when i got my new Sony Vaio, with Vista-of course- when i
connected to thier network, i had no problems. and they use the Linksys
too. im not too sure which model, but i had no problems. when i got
back, and tried to connect to my home network,(Linksys WRT54G) it a)
wouldn't show up, or b) refused to connect. i really need to use the
internet, and im sick of using the computer im on now. somebody tell me
anything! as long as it might help me.

--
GeekyIdiot
GeekyIdiot's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38736

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop
If the Vista works one router but another, I would check the firmware first.
Or check this post. Please post back with the result.

Vista Wireless disconnects ...a Linksys wireless router. the WRT54GS. i
updated the firmware to the most current. still nothing. if i let the router
sit with Vista off, the router ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=251

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"GeekyIdiot" <GeekyIdiot.32kxrc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have a similar problem, but it's confusing too. i was visiting my
> relatives, when i got my new Sony Vaio, with Vista-of course- when i
> connected to thier network, i had no problems. and they use the Linksys
> too. im not too sure which model, but i had no problems. when i got
> back, and tried to connect to my home network,(Linksys WRT54G) it a)
> wouldn't show up, or b) refused to connect. i really need to use the
> internet, and im sick of using the computer im on now. somebody tell me
> anything! as long as it might help me.
>

> --
> GeekyIdiot
> GeekyIdiot's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38736
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=746422
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

backslider65

Re: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop

This may not be just a Vista problem. I have a Sony laptop with XP that
also loses connectivity with Linksys routers all the time. I use a
Netgear at home without any problems & have used other brands as well.
I have lost my connection with three different Linksys routers (all
model WRT54G). I have had to wire into the routers to network in all
cases. I'm at work now & don't have my laptop with me. I'll post the
laptop model later.

I'll try some of the suggestions made earlier to see if I can narrow
down the source of the problem (& hopefully solve it!).

--
backslider65
backslider65's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39592
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=746422

http://forums.techarena.in

philipjcooper

Re: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop

I had the same problem..

I solved the problem be disabling ip 6 and disabling Upnp on the router
configuration screen 192.168.1.1 and goto the Administration Tab on
click disable.

regards

--
philipjcooper
philipjcooper's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/philipjcooper.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

--
newshilipjcooper.3iokfc@DoNotSpam.com...