XP vs. Vista

Bill H.

XP vs. Vista
Have a small network consisting of one Win XP Media Center Ed. and one Vista
home premium (and an Internet router). The Vista crashed and was restored
to factory and apps reinstalled, etc. Each computer has dedicated IP
address, and each runs a version of Norton Internet Security. They are in
the same workgroup.

Prior to the Vista problem, all was generall well. Now, the XP seems to
lose network connectivity to the Vista computer when the computers are
turned on in the morning. This is important for many reasons, including
that the XP uses a printer attached to the Vista for most of the XP's
printing needs.

I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP, and have set the
NIS on Vista to allow all connections to the IP of the XP box. And all is
well until that reboot. There may be more to that, but in the few days the
rebuilt Vista has been up, that has been the story.

I have been able to restore the connection by launching Network Places, and
searching for the name of the Vista computer. It so far does not show up in
the network view until I do a manual search using the computer name. Then
when it comes up and I double-click on the Vista C: drive, I'm prompted for
login info, which I give and then I get connected (why is this not
automatically done for me?). I've also mapped a drive to the Vista and set
that for "reconnect at login."

Ideas/fixes?

--
Bill

Michael W Ryder

Re: XP vs. Vista
Bill H. wrote:
> Have a small network consisting of one Win XP Media Center Ed. and one Vista
> home premium (and an Internet router). The Vista crashed and was restored
> to factory and apps reinstalled, etc. Each computer has dedicated IP
> address, and each runs a version of Norton Internet Security. They are in
> the same workgroup.
>
> Prior to the Vista problem, all was generall well. Now, the XP seems to
> lose network connectivity to the Vista computer when the computers are
> turned on in the morning. This is important for many reasons, including
> that the XP uses a printer attached to the Vista for most of the XP's
> printing needs.
>
> I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP, and have set the
> NIS on Vista to allow all connections to the IP of the XP box. And all is
> well until that reboot. There may be more to that, but in the few days the
> rebuilt Vista has been up, that has been the story.
>
> I have been able to restore the connection by launching Network Places, and
> searching for the name of the Vista computer. It so far does not show up in
> the network view until I do a manual search using the computer name. Then
> when it comes up and I double-click on the Vista C: drive, I'm prompted for
> login info, which I give and then I get connected (why is this not
> automatically done for me?). I've also mapped a drive to the Vista and set
> that for "reconnect at login."
>
> Ideas/fixes?

How long is the period between when the Vista computer is started and
the XP computer? I notice with Vista it takes a short time after
starting before the network connection is available, even with fixed IP
addresses. You might try starting the Vista computer and waiting for
the network connection icon to show that it is connected before starting
the XP computer.
Bill H.

Re: XP vs. Vista
Probably not very long between computer starts. I am having them start the
Vista first. And since they can get on the Internet on Vista right away, I
presume that's the "network connection icon" in the systray you're talking
about. And sometimes it's a very long time between starts as the person
using the XP may not come in for hours after the Vista is started.

:-(

--Bill

"Michael W Ryder" <data@quantumcollections.com> wrote in message
newsvmzn.281985$Dv7.165428@newsfe17.iad...
> Bill H. wrote:
>> Have a small network consisting of one Win XP Media Center Ed. and one
>> Vista home premium (and an Internet router). The Vista crashed and was
>> restored to factory and apps reinstalled, etc. Each computer has
>> dedicated IP address, and each runs a version of Norton Internet
>> Security. They are in the same workgroup.
>>
>> Prior to the Vista problem, all was generall well. Now, the XP seems to
>> lose network connectivity to the Vista computer when the computers are
>> turned on in the morning. This is important for many reasons, including
>> that the XP uses a printer attached to the Vista for most of the XP's
>> printing needs.
>>
>> I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP, and have set
>> the NIS on Vista to allow all connections to the IP of the XP box. And
>> all is well until that reboot. There may be more to that, but in the few
>> days the rebuilt Vista has been up, that has been the story.
>>
>> I have been able to restore the connection by launching Network Places,
>> and searching for the name of the Vista computer. It so far does not
>> show up in the network view until I do a manual search using the computer
>> name. Then when it comes up and I double-click on the Vista C: drive,
>> I'm prompted for login info, which I give and then I get connected (why
>> is this not automatically done for me?). I've also mapped a drive to the
>> Vista and set that for "reconnect at login."
>>
>> Ideas/fixes?
>>

> How long is the period between when the Vista computer is started and the
> XP computer? I notice with Vista it takes a short time after starting
> before the network connection is available, even with fixed IP addresses.
> You might try starting the Vista computer and waiting for the network
> connection icon to show that it is connected before starting the XP
> computer.

Bill H.

Re: XP vs. Vista
Also, when I'm at the XP and go into network places and click on "view
workgroup computers" I get a "<workgroup> is not accessible. You might not
have permission to use this network resource." etc. Then, I click on search
and am able to find the Vista computer. I double-click on the computer and
am prompted for user ID and password.

Why is this connection not being made automatically?? And why does it ask
for userid and password?

--Bill

"Michael W Ryder" <data@quantumcollections.com> wrote in message
newsvmzn.281985$Dv7.165428@newsfe17.iad...
> Bill H. wrote:
>> Have a small network consisting of one Win XP Media Center Ed. and one
>> Vista home premium (and an Internet router). The Vista crashed and was
>> restored to factory and apps reinstalled, etc. Each computer has
>> dedicated IP address, and each runs a version of Norton Internet
>> Security. They are in the same workgroup.
>>
>> Prior to the Vista problem, all was generall well. Now, the XP seems to
>> lose network connectivity to the Vista computer when the computers are
>> turned on in the morning. This is important for many reasons, including
>> that the XP uses a printer attached to the Vista for most of the XP's
>> printing needs.
>>
>> I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP, and have set
>> the NIS on Vista to allow all connections to the IP of the XP box. And
>> all is well until that reboot. There may be more to that, but in the few
>> days the rebuilt Vista has been up, that has been the story.
>>
>> I have been able to restore the connection by launching Network Places,
>> and searching for the name of the Vista computer. It so far does not
>> show up in the network view until I do a manual search using the computer
>> name. Then when it comes up and I double-click on the Vista C: drive,
>> I'm prompted for login info, which I give and then I get connected (why
>> is this not automatically done for me?). I've also mapped a drive to the
>> Vista and set that for "reconnect at login."
>>
>> Ideas/fixes?
>>

> How long is the period between when the Vista computer is started and the
> XP computer? I notice with Vista it takes a short time after starting
> before the network connection is available, even with fixed IP addresses.
> You might try starting the Vista computer and waiting for the network
> connection icon to show that it is connected before starting the XP
> computer.

Michael W Ryder

Re: XP vs. Vista
Bill H. wrote:
> Also, when I'm at the XP and go into network places and click on "view
> workgroup computers" I get a "<workgroup> is not accessible. You might not
> have permission to use this network resource." etc. Then, I click on search
> and am able to find the Vista computer. I double-click on the computer and
> am prompted for user ID and password.
>
> Why is this connection not being made automatically?? And why does it ask
> for userid and password?

I am not sure what is happening here but I started seeing that behavior
even with XP. My Vista computer connects to mapped drives on a Windows
2000 workstation and a Windows 2003 server. The computer has no
problems connecting to the workstation but I have to manually log in to
the server whenever I reboot the computer. This happened also with XP
Pro before I "upgraded" to Vista Business. One thing I noticed was that
when I set up the connection I logged in as UserA and had it save the
password. When it tried to log in the next time it had Computer/UserA
for the username and obviously the server could not find that user. I
haven't tried setting up a user Computer/UserA on the server to see if
that would work but you might want to try it.

> --Bill
>

> "Michael W Ryder" <data@quantumcollections.com> wrote in message
> newsvmzn.281985$Dv7.165428@newsfe17.iad...
>> Bill H. wrote:
>>> Have a small network consisting of one Win XP Media Center Ed. and one
>>> Vista home premium (and an Internet router). The Vista crashed and was
>>> restored to factory and apps reinstalled, etc. Each computer has
>>> dedicated IP address, and each runs a version of Norton Internet
>>> Security. They are in the same workgroup.
>>>
>>> Prior to the Vista problem, all was generall well. Now, the XP seems to
>>> lose network connectivity to the Vista computer when the computers are
>>> turned on in the morning. This is important for many reasons, including
>>> that the XP uses a printer attached to the Vista for most of the XP's
>>> printing needs.
>>>
>>> I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP, and have set
>>> the NIS on Vista to allow all connections to the IP of the XP box. And
>>> all is well until that reboot. There may be more to that, but in the few
>>> days the rebuilt Vista has been up, that has been the story.
>>>
>>> I have been able to restore the connection by launching Network Places,
>>> and searching for the name of the Vista computer. It so far does not
>>> show up in the network view until I do a manual search using the computer
>>> name. Then when it comes up and I double-click on the Vista C: drive,
>>> I'm prompted for login info, which I give and then I get connected (why
>>> is this not automatically done for me?). I've also mapped a drive to the
>>> Vista and set that for "reconnect at login."
>>>
>>> Ideas/fixes?
>>>

>> How long is the period between when the Vista computer is started and the
>> XP computer? I notice with Vista it takes a short time after starting
>> before the network connection is available, even with fixed IP addresses.
>> You might try starting the Vista computer and waiting for the network
>> connection icon to show that it is connected before starting the XP
>> computer.

Bill H.

Re: XP vs. Vista
I wonder...

Are there settings in XP that control the login process? Is there a way,
when they log into the XP computer, to also and automatically log into the
Vista computer with the same userid/password?

> Bill H. wrote:
>> Also, when I'm at the XP and go into network places and click on "view
>> workgroup computers" I get a "<workgroup> is not accessible. You might
>> not have permission to use this network resource." etc. Then, I click on
>> search and am able to find the Vista computer. I double-click on the
>> computer and am prompted for user ID and password.
>>
>> Why is this connection not being made automatically?? And why does it
>> ask for userid and password?
>>

> I am not sure what is happening here but I started seeing that behavior
> even with XP. My Vista computer connects to mapped drives on a Windows
> 2000 workstation and a Windows 2003 server. The computer has no problems
> connecting to the workstation but I have to manually log in to the server
> whenever I reboot the computer. This happened also with XP Pro before I
> "upgraded" to Vista Business. One thing I noticed was that when I set up
> the connection I logged in as UserA and had it save the password. When it
> tried to log in the next time it had Computer/UserA for the username and
> obviously the server could not find that user. I haven't tried setting up
> a user Computer/UserA on the server to see if that would work but you
> might want to try it.
>

>> --Bill
>>

>> "Michael W Ryder" <data@quantumcollections.com> wrote in message
>> newsvmzn.281985$Dv7.165428@newsfe17.iad...

>>> How long is the period between when the Vista computer is started and
>>> the XP computer? I notice with Vista it takes a short time after
>>> starting before the network connection is available, even with fixed IP
>>> addresses. You might try starting the Vista computer and waiting for the
>>> network connection icon to show that it is connected before starting the
>>> XP computer.

Bill H.

Re: XP vs. Vista
Hi, again.

A couple of new issues on the XP computer. Now when I try to access
properties of the networked printer, I get an error about "print spooler
service not running." Yet, per admin, it IS running. I've even stopped and
restarted it, and get the same msg when trying to access printer properties.
IF I try to install a new printer, select local port, then select the
networked computer's printer port as \\station1\printername, it says all is
OK click finish, shows up as networked printer, yet printing a test pages
fails immediately.

Xp can see Vista hard drive right now, but Vista does not appear in network
places (but can show up if I search to the computer name). Also, Vista C:
drive is accessible, but the two attached printers (both shared) do not show
up, and they should.

So, any ideas? Their accountant has updated Quickbooks today on the XP,
but I don't see where that could be an issue.

--Bill

Bill Kearney

Re: XP vs. Vista
> I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP,

So consider using a domain instead. There's a lot to be said for how
Active Directory hides all this nonsense.

Meanwhile, check to be sure that all machines have their time AND timezone
sync'd together.

Bill H.

Re: XP vs. Vista
How would I do that? I've only got the two computers, no server.

--Bill

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99#at#hotmail#dot#com> wrote in message
newscydnQ81YLinYE_WnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
>> I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP,

> So consider using a domain instead. There's a lot to be said for how
> Active Directory hides all this nonsense.
>
> Meanwhile, check to be sure that all machines have their time AND timezone
> sync'd together.

robinson

RE: XP vs. Vista
Windows Vista has better look and feel than Windows XP.
Windows Aero in Windows vista is totally a different look with 3D flip features, transparent.
Windows Aero offers a sidebar which is transparent, in this sidebar you can place icons of your choice.
Security is increased in Vista when compared to XP.
XP has standard firewall but vista has both standard firewall and firewall with advanced features.
this helps vista to act as a true firewall which scans the data bi-directionally i.e both incoming and outgoing data is scanned.