Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking

Hedgy

Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
I have been trying for several days to get my Windos XP system to talk with
my Vista Ultimate 32 bit system. I reformatted the xp system and the two
machines were seeing each others shared directories and could even play back
video clips from each other. I have both machines connected by cable to a 4
port with wireless router. I updated the Xp system to SP2 and they no longer
talk to each other, It took me forever just to get them to see each other. I
created Shared directories on both. But some of my equipment wont run on
Vista so I have it on the XP system and need to be able to transfer the files
without using thumbdrives and cds all the time. Any thoughts are ideas that
may help me solve this little problem are greatly appreciated.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
I would check the firewall first. These search results may help,
Vista cannot access others
Vista can't access other computers ... My Vista desktop can't see, or access, the TabletPC come hell or high water. I have matching user accounts on both . ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm - Similar pages

Other can't see Vista
Troubleshooting Vista Wireless Issues · Networking between Vista and other Windows OS · Other computers can't see Vista · Vista can't access other computers ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/cannotseevista.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Hedgy" <Hedgy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:295E6178-1F95-4C71-BA6A-4A739BEDA938@microsoft.com...
I have been trying for several days to get my Windos XP system to talk with
my Vista Ultimate 32 bit system. I reformatted the xp system and the two
machines were seeing each others shared directories and could even play back
video clips from each other. I have both machines connected by cable to a 4
port with wireless router. I updated the Xp system to SP2 and they no longer
talk to each other, It took me forever just to get them to see each other. I
created Shared directories on both. But some of my equipment wont run on
Vista so I have it on the XP system and need to be able to transfer the files
without using thumbdrives and cds all the time. Any thoughts are ideas that
may help me solve this little problem are greatly appreciated.
Hedgy

Re: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
WHy does Microsoft have to make it so that your are a network certified
person just to hookup two computers through a router. They worked fine
together BEFORE I put SP2 on the XP system. What changed in SP2 that caused
this problem. I am know network engineer and the links you supplied were
greek to me.Not very user or end user appropriate.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> I would check the firewall first. These search results may help,
> Vista cannot access others
> Vista can't access other computers ... My Vista desktop can't see, or access, the TabletPC come hell or high water. I have matching user accounts on both . ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm - Similar pages
>
> Other can't see Vista
> Troubleshooting Vista Wireless Issues · Networking between Vista and other Windows OS · Other computers can't see Vista · Vista can't access other computers ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/cannotseevista.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Hedgy" <Hedgy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:295E6178-1F95-4C71-BA6A-4A739BEDA938@microsoft.com...
> I have been trying for several days to get my Windos XP system to talk with
> my Vista Ultimate 32 bit system. I reformatted the xp system and the two
> machines were seeing each others shared directories and could even play back
> video clips from each other. I have both machines connected by cable to a 4
> port with wireless router. I updated the Xp system to SP2 and they no longer
> talk to each other, It took me forever just to get them to see each other. I
> created Shared directories on both. But some of my equipment wont run on
> Vista so I have it on the XP system and need to be able to transfer the files
> without using thumbdrives and cds all the time. Any thoughts are ideas that
> may help me solve this little problem are greatly appreciated

Fred Marshall

Re: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
Vista Ultimate with wired connection.
Had to set to static IP to get around DHCP not working.

Now networking seems to work fine except:

When the computer goes to sleep or is rebooted then the connectivity to the
internet is *not* working and I can't ping the router/gateway. After some
time it seems to heal itself - but that's a couple of minutes.

How to get the system to simply get going?

Fred

xfile

Re: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
Hi,

I can understand your frustrations, and myself don't think Vista has any
improvements in terms of usability and easy to use.

With that said, he is one of few MVP's who are true volunteers and devote
their own time and knowledge to helping users.

So others may not agree, but I will suggest you to post a new thread for any
complaints instead toward these few remained fine MVP's.

Good luck.

> WHy does Microsoft have to make it so that your are a network certified
> person just to hookup two computers through a router. They worked fine
> together BEFORE I put SP2 on the XP system. What changed in SP2 that
> caused
> this problem. I am know network engineer and the links you supplied were
> greek to me.Not very user or end user appropriate.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
>> I would check the firewall first. These search results may help,
>> Vista cannot access others
>> Vista can't access other computers ... My Vista desktop can't see,
>> or access, the TabletPC come hell or high water. I have matching user
>> accounts on both . ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm - Similar pages
>>
>> Other can't see Vista
>> Troubleshooting Vista Wireless Issues P Networking between Vista
>> and other Windows OS P Other computers can't see Vista P Vista can't
>> access other computers ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/cannotseevista.htm
>>

>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Hedgy" <Hedgy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have been trying for several days to get my Windos XP system to talk
>> with
>> my Vista Ultimate 32 bit system. I reformatted the xp system and the
>> two
>> machines were seeing each others shared directories and could even play
>> back
>> video clips from each other. I have both machines connected by cable to
>> a 4
>> port with wireless router. I updated the Xp system to SP2 and they no
>> longer
>> talk to each other, It took me forever just to get them to see each
>> other. I
>> created Shared directories on both. But some of my equipment wont run
>> on
>> Vista so I have it on the XP system and need to be able to transfer the
>> files
>> without using thumbdrives and cds all the time. Any thoughts are ideas
>> that
>> may help me solve this little problem are greatly appreciated

drmom5

Re: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking

I had internet but not intranet with a mixture of OSes on the system. I
tried all the tricks with disabling firewall, enabling all kinds of
sharing, disabling IP6. What worked was going into LAN properties and
installing the old heirarchy starting with Client for Microsoft
Networks, File and Printsharing for same, and both link-layer Topology
protocols. Reboot and viola, there's my whole network. Now, it's just a
matter of fine tuning.

Dr.Mom in PA.

--
drmom5
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
Thank you for Explanation and understanding. We need that.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message news:uO6vfSelHHA.4644@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Hi,

I can understand your frustrations, and myself don't think Vista has any
improvements in terms of usability and easy to use.

With that said, he is one of few MVP's who are true volunteers and devote
their own time and knowledge to helping users.

So others may not agree, but I will suggest you to post a new thread for any
complaints instead toward these few remained fine MVP's.

Good luck.

"Hedgy" <Hedgy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> WHy does Microsoft have to make it so that your are a network certified
> person just to hookup two computers through a router. They worked fine
> together BEFORE I put SP2 on the XP system. What changed in SP2 that
> caused
> this problem. I am know network engineer and the links you supplied were
> greek to me.Not very user or end user appropriate.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
>> I would check the firewall first. These search results may help,
>> Vista cannot access others
>> Vista can't access other computers ... My Vista desktop can't see,
>> or access, the TabletPC come hell or high water. I have matching user
>> accounts on both . ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm - Similar pages
>>
>> Other can't see Vista
>> Troubleshooting Vista Wireless Issues P Networking between Vista
>> and other Windows OS P Other computers can't see Vista P Vista can't
>> access other computers ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/cannotseevista.htm
>>

>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Hedgy" <Hedgy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have been trying for several days to get my Windos XP system to talk
>> with
>> my Vista Ultimate 32 bit system. I reformatted the xp system and the
>> two
>> machines were seeing each others shared directories and could even play
>> back
>> video clips from each other. I have both machines connected by cable to
>> a 4
>> port with wireless router. I updated the Xp system to SP2 and they no
>> longer
>> talk to each other, It took me forever just to get them to see each
>> other. I
>> created Shared directories on both. But some of my equipment wont run
>> on
>> Vista so I have it on the XP system and need to be able to transfer the
>> files
>> without using thumbdrives and cds all the time. Any thoughts are ideas
>> that
>> may help me solve this little problem are greatly appreciated

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Also, re-configure the NIC speed or/and duplex may fix this issue too.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"drmom5" <drmom5.2qkrwg@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message news:drmom5.2qkrwg@no-mx.forums.net...

I had internet but not intranet with a mixture of OSes on the system. I
tried all the tricks with disabling firewall, enabling all kinds of
sharing, disabling IP6. What worked was going into LAN properties and
installing the old heirarchy starting with Client for Microsoft
Networks, File and Printsharing for same, and both link-layer Topology
protocols. Reboot and viola, there's my whole network. Now, it's just a
matter of fine tuning.

Dr.Mom in PA.

--
drmom5
Hedgy

Re: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
I am finding all sorts of information on wireless networking and very little
on wired to router, the one link on community I followed step by step and
still not working. Whatever happened to network setup wizard? The posted
answers are great to see but for non tech people they can be confusing, and
after working on this almost nonstop for 4 days or so you get a lot
frustrated. Is there a NON TECHIE explanation on how to get this setup to
work? I mean i see people saying check this and change that and i am goin ok
where is that at to check or change? They assume we know a lot about the
computer or networking. And I was always told assumming is not a good thing
to do in computers. I do appreciate the replies but can we get something a
little easier to follow? I have network discovery turned on and have both
machines in same workgroup, I installed the lltd responder on the xp system
and all i get on my vista is an Icon for the other machine. when i clcik on
it it says windows cannot access \\machine error code 0x80070035 the network
path was not found. Both or in same workgroup and can be seen by vista. the
vista machine is not visible from the xp machine. And when I try to acces
network on xp it say I dont have rights even though I am signed in as admin.
Hopefully these extra bits of info will help in finding the right answer. I
tried the links from previous answer and it is the same as the help from
vista. It didnt work. I appreciate your time and you must really be tired of
complaints so my apologies for previous statements. I am just extremely
frustrated that I have to keep going from machine to machine with dvd's and
cds to get information back and forth.

> [...]

> >> back
> >> video clips from each other. I have both machines connected by cable to
> >> a 4
> >> port with wireless router. I updated the Xp system to SP2 and they no
> >> longer
> >> talk to each other, It took me forever just to get them to see each
> >> other. I
> >> created Shared directories on both. But some of my equipment wont run
> >> on
> >> Vista so I have it on the XP system and need to be able to transfer the
> >> files
> >> without using thumbdrives and cds all the time. Any thoughts are ideas
> >> that
> >> may help me solve this little problem are greatly appreciated

Hedgy

RE: Vista Ultimate 32 and Windows XP Networking
Eureka!!!
I finally got the two machines talking to each other andsharing files and
media between them. I cant believe it was something so simple. I totally
overlooked it. I use Windows Live care. I went into the change settings for
it and set the firewall connection tool Network discovery check, File Printer
and sharing check, Share content with windows Vista check, Video check. I
then went back to main firewall page in live care. Chose Advanced settings
button, clicked on protocols tab, selected ICMPv4 Inbound, ICMPv6 Inbound,
Network Discovery, Pragmatic General Multicast Protocol, Streamin
Vidio/Audio, Xbox360 and Network Media Players. I set this the same on both
Systems Using the Live care firewall. They NOW transfer files back and forth.
Thanks for those that helped your settings worked but I forgot bout firewall.
They probly would have worked sooner if I would have remembered it.