File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

suzystabalot

File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
I can't get folder sharing to work at all on my computer. I have tried
everything I can find on the internet, but nobody seems to have the same
problem as me.
When I try to turn public folder sharing on, I get the message "The RPC
server is unavailable."
If I try to put the folder I want to share in my public folder, I get the
message "You need permission to perform this action."
I am the only user on this computer and I don't see anything wrong with the
administration stuff. I've posted this once in here but never got a reply,
probably because nobody else knew what to do either.
I have to say, compared to XP, Vista is a unbelievable pain in the ass for
almost everything. If Mac had a tablet, I would've gotten one.
Any clue what I can do to fix this problem?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
If logon an administrator account without blank password, can you do it? Or this link may help,

"Destination Folder Access Denied"I am running Vista Ultimate on one PC and XP Pro SP2 on another. ... You need permission to perform this action" you can only click 'RETRY. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...d89768 75a37e

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"suzystabalot" <suzystabalot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news263DAE0-67AD-4A47-9C12-255119906FF5@microsoft.com...
[...]

I've already tried to do all that and it hasn't worked. It seems everything
I touch turns out to be defective ...

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> If logon an administrator account without blank password, can you do it? Or this link may help,
>
> "Destination Folder Access Denied"I am running Vista Ultimate on one PC and XP Pro SP2 on another. ... You need permission to perform this action" you can only click 'RETRY. ...

kentsyl

RE: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
I had the same problem and found that you have to turn "Password Protect"
-OFF- for folder sharing to share folders on a LAN. I also foud that the
folder password protect only applies to folders (Share Folders) on your local
computer, not your local network. This setting is in the network and sharing
center.