static ip

My News Servers

static ip
How do I know if I have static ip address or not? I have a desktop,
ethernet controlled, works fine. A laptop, wireless (thru same router as
desktop) Also a Wii game console, which I think is wireless, works ok.
And a second desktop, also connect to the ethernet, working fine.

The router uses 192.168.0.1
desktop one 192.168.0.4
laptop 192.168.0.2
Wii 192.168.0.8
desktop two 192.168.0.3

I keep reading there are advantages to setting up a static ip...is this in
fact what I have?
I let my router software get dns servers automatically
And the properties under Vista indicate this as well

any help most appreciated

Tom Byers

Myweb

Re: static ip
Hello My,

Type ipconfig /all on your workstation You see an option DHCP yes/no yes=ip
address provided from DHCP server no=staic address

Best regards

Myweb
no rights.

> How do I know if I have static ip address or not? I have a desktop,
> ethernet controlled, works fine. A laptop, wireless (thru same router
> as desktop) Also a Wii game console, which I think is wireless,
> works ok. And a second desktop, also connect to the ethernet, working
> fine.
>
> The router uses 192.168.0.1
> desktop one 192.168.0.4
> laptop 192.168.0.2
> Wii 192.168.0.8
> desktop two 192.168.0.3
> I keep reading there are advantages to setting up a static ip...is
> this in
> fact what I have?
> I let my router software get dns servers automatically
> And the properties under Vista indicate this as well
> any help most appreciated
>
> Tom Byers

Charlie

Re: static ip
Most ISPs charge extra for static IP. Call your ISP tech support to find
out your situation. Find your IP at www.whatismyip.com. Static IP only
becomes important if you want to run a server or have external access to
your machines, and even then you can use a service like www.tzo.com
for DNS mapping.

"My News Servers" <senortout@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> How do I know if I have static ip address or not? I have a desktop,
> ethernet controlled, works fine. A laptop, wireless (thru same router as
> desktop) Also a Wii game console, which I think is wireless, works ok.
> And a second desktop, also connect to the ethernet, working fine.
>
> The router uses 192.168.0.1
> desktop one 192.168.0.4
> laptop 192.168.0.2
> Wii 192.168.0.8
> desktop two 192.168.0.3
>
> I keep reading there are advantages to setting up a static ip...is this in
> fact what I have?
> I let my router software get dns servers automatically
> And the properties under Vista indicate this as well
>
> any help most appreciated
>
> Tom Byers

Gary VanderMolen

Re: static ip
There's a big difference between a static IP WAN address and a static
IP LAN address. Sounds like the OP was only interested in the latter.

Gary VanderMolen

"Charlie" <cvsmith@citlink.net> wrote in message news:uwrrLHOlHHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Most ISPs charge extra for static IP. Call your ISP tech support to find out your situation. Find your IP at
> www.whatismyip.com. Static IP only becomes important if you want to run a server or have external access to your machines, and
> even then you can use a service like www.tzo.com
> for DNS mapping.
>
> "My News Servers" <senortout@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:OwPfhyNlHHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> How do I know if I have static ip address or not? I have a desktop, ethernet controlled, works fine. A laptop, wireless
>> (thru same router as desktop) Also a Wii game console, which I think is wireless, works ok. And a second desktop, also
>> connect to the ethernet, working fine.
>>
>> The router uses 192.168.0.1
>> desktop one 192.168.0.4
>> laptop 192.168.0.2
>> Wii 192.168.0.8
>> desktop two 192.168.0.3
>>
>> I keep reading there are advantages to setting up a static ip...is this in fact what I have?
>> I let my router software get dns servers automatically
>> And the properties under Vista indicate this as well
>>
>> any help most appreciated
>>
>> Tom Byers

Jim

Re: static ip

"My News Servers" <senortout@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> How do I know if I have static ip address or not? I have a desktop,
> ethernet controlled, works fine. A laptop, wireless (thru same router as
> desktop) Also a Wii game console, which I think is wireless, works ok.
> And a second desktop, also connect to the ethernet, working fine.
>
> The router uses 192.168.0.1
> desktop one 192.168.0.4
> laptop 192.168.0.2
> Wii 192.168.0.8
> desktop two 192.168.0.3
>
> I keep reading there are advantages to setting up a static ip...is this in
> fact what I have?
> I let my router software get dns servers automatically
> And the properties under Vista indicate this as well
>
> any help most appreciated
>
> Tom Byers

If your HOSTS file has those definitions, then you have static ip addresses
on your local lan.
If ipconfig/all shows that dhcp is on, then you are getting the ip addresses
from your router.

Unless your router is also acting as a DNS server for your local lan, the
the names must be located in the HOSTS file.

The main issue with static ips is that startup is a little quicker. The
other issue, which does not arise on a lan with so few members, is the
managing static ips is much more difficult.

Jim

My News Servers

Re: static ip
Jim, my specific problem which I have been unable to correct, is this:
I can use utorrent from the #1 desktop but not from the laptop. A check for
whether or not port forwarding has been successful or not, returns "success"
on the desktop(Vista installed, working perfectly). I thought that I would
have to "redirect" the laptop to that port whenever I wished to use it for
torrents. In other words, utorrent is added to portforwarding list and
pointed to 192.168.0.4 when using desktop for torrents, and redirected to
192.168.0.2 when using the laptop. The test for determining if the port is
opened fails when at the laptop. Would this be an issue, since the laptop
still uses XPsp2.....?

Tom
ps, no I know what you're thinking, I am not attempting to download torrents
from BOTH at the same time. smiley faces

news:b4H1i.21944$Um6.15337@newssvr12.news.prodigy. net...