Can't connect Vista Ultimate to Domain (inhouse)

Jeff Bowman [293288]

Can't connect Vista Ultimate to Domain (inhouse)
Yet again.... Hopefully someone reads this and is able to give me some
useful information.

I have a server running Server 2003 and server other machines including XP
and Vista. I'm able to connect all the machines to the inhouse network
except for the Vista Machine.

All the XP machines connect with no problem. Once I try to connect the Vista
Machines, I get the infamous DC error.

What has microsoft changed in Vista that has to be done to connect too 2003
server. Please dont say nothing! Cause there has been something that has
change if every other machine in the universe will connect!

Thanks In Advance...
JB

Seth

Re: Can't connect Vista Ultimate to Domain (inhouse)
"Jeff Bowman [293288]" <jbowman@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> Yet again.... Hopefully someone reads this and is able to give me some
> useful information.
>
> I have a server running Server 2003 and server other machines including XP
> and Vista. I'm able to connect all the machines to the inhouse network
> except for the Vista Machine.
>
> All the XP machines connect with no problem. Once I try to connect the
> Vista Machines, I get the infamous DC error.
>
> What has microsoft changed in Vista that has to be done to connect too
> 2003 server. Please dont say nothing! Cause there has been something that
> has change if every other machine in the universe will connect!

They've changed lots of things. But how about listing the specific error
you got and what operation you were doing at the time to help narrow it
down.

Jeff Bowman [293288]

Re: Can't connect Vista Ultimate to Domain (inhouse)
Thanks for the reply Seth...

I goto the Vista machine and change it from a workgroup to domain. I put in
the domain, and then it promts me for the active directory UserId and
Password. I enter both in and hit enter.

I searches for a few minutes and I get the following error:
The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "mydomain":

An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
can resolve DNS names in the target domain.

-------

I can goto a fleshly imaged XP machine and connect with no problem.. Looks
to me like a Vista issue!

"Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jeff Bowman [293288]" <jbowman@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Yet again.... Hopefully someone reads this and is able to give me some
>> useful information.
>>
>> I have a server running Server 2003 and server other machines including
>> XP and Vista. I'm able to connect all the machines to the inhouse network
>> except for the Vista Machine.
>>
>> All the XP machines connect with no problem. Once I try to connect the
>> Vista Machines, I get the infamous DC error.
>>
>> What has microsoft changed in Vista that has to be done to connect too
>> 2003 server. Please dont say nothing! Cause there has been something that
>> has change if every other machine in the universe will connect!

> They've changed lots of things. But how about listing the specific error
> you got and what operation you were doing at the time to help narrow it
> down.

Chuck

Re: Can't connect Vista Ultimate to Domain (inhouse)
On Sat, 12 May 2007 16:00:37 -0400, "Jeff Bowman [293288]" <jbowman@neo.rr.com>
wrote:

>Yet again.... Hopefully someone reads this and is able to give me some
>useful information.
>
>I have a server running Server 2003 and server other machines including XP
>and Vista. I'm able to connect all the machines to the inhouse network
>except for the Vista Machine.
>
>All the XP machines connect with no problem. Once I try to connect the Vista
>Machines, I get the infamous DC error.
>
>What has microsoft changed in Vista that has to be done to connect too 2003
>server. Please dont say nothing! Cause there has been something that has
>change if every other machine in the universe will connect!
>
>Thanks In Advance...
>JB

Jeff,

There is a specific setup procedure for Windows XP computers, to allow them to
connect to a domain. Maybe there's a detail in there that you overlooked.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/windows-xp-on-nt-domain.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...nt-domain.html

As Seth says, "They've changed lots of things". Maybe diagnosing the
differences would be easier, if we start with "browstat status" and "ipconfig
/all" from the problem computer and from one working XP computer. Read this
article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!):

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.

> I goto the Vista machine and change it from a workgroup to domain. I put
> in the domain, and then it promts me for the active directory UserId and
> Password. I enter both in and hit enter.
>
> I searches for a few minutes and I get the following error:
> The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "mydomain":
>
> An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
> failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
> can resolve DNS names in the target domain.
>
> -------
>
> I can goto a fleshly imaged XP machine and connect with no problem.. Looks
> to me like a Vista issue!

/might/ be a Vista issue. Might be a different issue that XP and other
legacy OSs worked around.

From a command prompt, issue the command "nslookup mydomain" and see what
you get. If it doesn't resolve the IP of an active domain controller then
it is indeed a DNS issue as the error message suggests.

Jeff Bowman [293288]

Re: Can't connect Vista Ultimate to Domain (inhouse)
this is what I get

server: dns-cac-lb-01.ohiordc.rr.com
address: 65.24.7.3:53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mydomain
address: 24.93.214.123 (this is my machines address)

> "Jeff Bowman [293288]" <jbowman@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I goto the Vista machine and change it from a workgroup to domain. I put
>> in the domain, and then it promts me for the active directory UserId and
>> Password. I enter both in and hit enter.
>>
>> I searches for a few minutes and I get the following error:
>> The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "mydomain":
>>
>> An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
>> failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server
>> that can resolve DNS names in the target domain.
>>
>> -------
>>
>> I can goto a fleshly imaged XP machine and connect with no problem..
>> Looks to me like a Vista issue!

> /might/ be a Vista issue. Might be a different issue that XP and other
> legacy OSs worked around.
>
> From a command prompt, issue the command "nslookup mydomain" and see what
> you get. If it doesn't resolve the IP of an active domain controller then
> it is indeed a DNS issue as the error message suggests.

Joe Guidera

Re: Can't connect Vista Ultimate to Domain (inhouse)
If the lookup is returning the address of the client and not the address of
a domain controller, then you do indeed have an issue with DNS.

In other words, if your clients' address is 192.168.1.100 and the domain
controller is 192.168.1.10 and you issue an nslookup for the domain "e.g.
mydomain" you should expect it to return 192.168.1.10 and NOT 192.168.1.100

If it returns the latter than the domain is not properly registered in DNS.

Joe

"Jeff Bowman [293288]" <jbowman@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
news9F8593E-B4DF-4349-A363-75670006860B@microsoft.com...
> this is what I get
>
> server: dns-cac-lb-01.ohiordc.rr.com
> address: 65.24.7.3:53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: mydomain
> address: 24.93.214.123 (this is my machines address)
>
> "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Jeff Bowman [293288]" <jbowman@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I goto the Vista machine and change it from a workgroup to domain. I put
>>> in the domain, and then it promts me for the active directory UserId and
>>> Password. I enter both in and hit enter.
>>>
>>> I searches for a few minutes and I get the following error:
>>> The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "mydomain":
>>>
>>> An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined
>>> has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS
>>> server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain.
>>>
>>> -------
>>>
>>> I can goto a fleshly imaged XP machine and connect with no problem..
>>> Looks to me like a Vista issue!

>> /might/ be a Vista issue. Might be a different issue that XP and other
>> legacy OSs worked around.
>>
>> From a command prompt, issue the command "nslookup mydomain" and see what
>> you get. If it doesn't resolve the IP of an active domain controller
>> then it is indeed a DNS issue as the error message suggests.

Jeff Bowman [293288]

Re: Can't connect Vista Ultimate to Domain (inhouse)
I understand that.. Thanks

But, why can XP connect the way it is and not vista?

>I understand that.. Thanks
>
> But, why can XP connect the way it is and not vista?

Because XP will also find using WINS and broadcast. Vista is "less" of an
"H" node than previous versions.

You could try spoofing it with a HOSTS file, but the preferred way of fixing
the issue is by resolving your DNS issues properly.

Your primary DNS server that the clients use should be a server or appliance
inside your private network, not a public DNS server. That DNS server would
have records for all internal/private addresses and for external addresses
(i.e. www.google.com) the local DNS server would do a forward query. Here's
an example of what I am talking about...

"Mydomain.local"
192.168.1.1 - gateway/router to internet
192.168.1.10 - local file/print server that is also AD domain controller
with DNS and DHCP
192.168.1.100-199 - PCs in the network.

IPCONFIG /ALL from one of the local PCs...

I:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pc-1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : mydomain.local
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mydomain.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mydomain.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
Gigab
it Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-9B-56-D3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::1536:385c:d6a4:2b71%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 30, 2007 9:10:33 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 14, 2007 9:10:34 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201331668
192.168.1.11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled