Vista and Apple Airport Extreme

Steve

Vista and Apple Airport Extreme
I have a new Dell Inspiron 6400 that came with Vista and a N type Wireless
card. I have an Apple Airport Extreme that works perfectly when:
1) Any device is plugged into the back of the router to include the Dell
Inspiron 6400
2) My Dell PDA (Axim) uses the wireless
3) Nintendo Wii uses the wireless
4) Computer with XP uses the wireless

But of course when I attempt to use Vista it decides not to work with the
Router. I called Apple and they said that there are compatibility issues
with Vista and that I am currently SOL.

Has anyone been able to get Vista and the Airport Extreme to work? I have
attempted various combinations of encryption (to include none), IP addresses,
DNS servers... but any suggestions are appreciated and welcome!

Thanks.

Robert Moir

Re: Vista and Apple Airport Extreme

>I have a new Dell Inspiron 6400 that came with Vista and a N type Wireless
> card. I have an Apple Airport Extreme that works perfectly when:
> 1) Any device is plugged into the back of the router to include the Dell
> Inspiron 6400
> 2) My Dell PDA (Axim) uses the wireless
> 3) Nintendo Wii uses the wireless
> 4) Computer with XP uses the wireless
>
> But of course when I attempt to use Vista it decides not to work with the
> Router. I called Apple and they said that there are compatibility issues
> with Vista and that I am currently SOL.
>
> Has anyone been able to get Vista and the Airport Extreme to work? I have
> attempted various combinations of encryption (to include none), IP
> addresses,
> DNS servers... but any suggestions are appreciated and welcome!

What actually happens?

I'd expect that there might be a problem with configuring the Airport
Extreme from Vista, but as far as actually using it, a network connection is
a network connection is a network connection, you know?

Does the Dell connect to other wireless networks? Can you, for example, take
it to your local coffee shop or library of choice and get a connection
there?

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

Steve

Re: Vista and Apple Airport Extreme
Every other access point works well.. I have a "solution" if you want to
call it that.. but it does the following:

It is unable to connect to the access point or it will not go out to the
internet if it does connect to it.

The "solution" that I was able to come up with was hardwire into the back of
the router. Through MAC's airport tool turn off any encryption. Unplug from
the back of the router and then connect to the access point through wireless
(it works). Then, while connected through wireless enable encryption on the
access point and then on the laptop (it will disconnect from the access point
but will reconnect when you type in the password).

For some stupid reason this works as long as the computer stays on. As soon
as it goes to standby or gets turned off, the steps above have to be done
again.

Apple states that there is a compatibility issue with Vista in the codex and
that this is a wide scale problem that Microsoft has refused to create a
patch for. Microsoft denies that there is a problem at all...

> Every other access point works well.. I have a "solution" if you want to
> call it that.. but it does the following:
>
> It is unable to connect to the access point or it will not go out to the
> internet if it does connect to it.
>
> The "solution" that I was able to come up with was hardwire into the back
> of
> the router. Through MAC's airport tool turn off any encryption. Unplug
> from
> the back of the router and then connect to the access point through
> wireless
> (it works). Then, while connected through wireless enable encryption on
> the
> access point and then on the laptop (it will disconnect from the access
> point
> but will reconnect when you type in the password).
>
> For some stupid reason this works as long as the computer stays on. As
> soon
> as it goes to standby or gets turned off, the steps above have to be done
> again.
>
> Apple states that there is a compatibility issue with Vista in the codex
> and
> that this is a wide scale problem that Microsoft has refused to create a
> patch for. Microsoft denies that there is a problem at all...

Ah. I wish I had more to offer but this is beyond my wireless experiences.

I think a good few people here have reported problems with wireless
networking and Vista, things have obviously changed quite a bit and some old
'assumptions' that manufacturers could make are no longer true. It's
especially galling when the two manufacturers pass you back and forth
without taking responsibility for fixing the problem like this.