Broadband connection ignored

BobC

Broadband connection ignored
When I turn on the computer it is connected to the internet via cable
broadband connection. Many times, though, upon trying to connect with a url,
Vista pops up and says it is offline and I'm given the option to connect.
Most of the time doing so results in another pop up saying the attempt at
connection has failed. This while I'm looking at all the modem lights on and
the on line light blinking along as usual. Sometimes, I can do something
else, like connect with the email successfully and then try the browser
again, this time successfully. I would be surprised if there is anything
actually wrong with the connection because this never ever happened when I
used XP. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Broadband connection ignored
Right after one of those failures, go to a Command Prompt
and do a "ipconfig /all". Make sure the IP address assigned
to your computer is in the 192.168.x.x range instead of some
169.x.x.x number. Go here for a possible fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928233/en-us

Gary VanderMolen

"BobC" <BobC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsF26052C-2C75-42BA-B32F-4EF9D2C23D02@microsoft.com...
> When I turn on the computer it is connected to the internet via cable
> broadband connection. Many times, though, upon trying to connect with a url,
> Vista pops up and says it is offline and I'm given the option to connect.
> Most of the time doing so results in another pop up saying the attempt at
> connection has failed. This while I'm looking at all the modem lights on and
> the on line light blinking along as usual. Sometimes, I can do something
> else, like connect with the email successfully and then try the browser
> again, this time successfully. I would be surprised if there is anything
> actually wrong with the connection because this never ever happened when I
> used XP. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

BobC

Re: Broadband connection ignored
Thanks. Hate to sound so unaware, but, how do I "go to a Command Prompt"?

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Right after one of those failures, go to a Command Prompt
> and do a "ipconfig /all". Make sure the IP address assigned
> to your computer is in the 192.168.x.x range instead of some
> 169.x.x.x number. Go here for a possible fix:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928233/en-us
>
> Gary VanderMolen
>
> "BobC" <BobC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsF26052C-2C75-42BA-B32F-4EF9D2C23D02@microsoft.com...
> > When I turn on the computer it is connected to the internet via cable
> > broadband connection. Many times, though, upon trying to connect with a url,
> > Vista pops up and says it is offline and I'm given the option to connect.
> > Most of the time doing so results in another pop up saying the attempt at
> > connection has failed. This while I'm looking at all the modem lights on and
> > the on line light blinking along as usual. Sometimes, I can do something
> > else, like connect with the email successfully and then try the browser
> > again, this time successfully. I would be surprised if there is anything
> > actually wrong with the connection because this never ever happened when I
> > used XP. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Guidera

Re: Broadband connection ignored
Hit the start button and type "cmd" and hit enter

> Thanks. Hate to sound so unaware, but, how do I "go to a Command Prompt"?
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> Right after one of those failures, go to a Command Prompt
>> and do a "ipconfig /all". Make sure the IP address assigned
>> to your computer is in the 192.168.x.x range instead of some
>> 169.x.x.x number. Go here for a possible fix:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928233/en-us
>>
>> Gary VanderMolen
>>
>> "BobC" <BobC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsF26052C-2C75-42BA-B32F-4EF9D2C23D02@microsoft.com...
>> > When I turn on the computer it is connected to the internet via cable
>> > broadband connection. Many times, though, upon trying to connect with
>> > a url,
>> > Vista pops up and says it is offline and I'm given the option to
>> > connect.
>> > Most of the time doing so results in another pop up saying the attempt
>> > at
>> > connection has failed. This while I'm looking at all the modem lights
>> > on and
>> > the on line light blinking along as usual. Sometimes, I can do
>> > something
>> > else, like connect with the email successfully and then try the browser
>> > again, this time successfully. I would be surprised if there is
>> > anything
>> > actually wrong with the connection because this never ever happened
>> > when I
>> > used XP. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Broadband connection ignored
Or you can do: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
I use it so much that I have it pinned to the first level of the start menu.

Gary VanderMolen