vista machine performing badly on wireless network

jodyodea

vista machine performing badly on wireless network
my new laptop has joined an existing wireless internet connection. 3 other
machines on the network run XP and have excellent internet performance. the
new Vista-based laptop has only medium connection strength and performs
poorly in web browsing and browser frequently crashes. why is this happening?
my ISP cannot help. is it default firewall issues perhaps?
Barb Bowman

Re: vista machine performing badly on wireless network
what wireless router are you connecting to? brand/model. do you have
the latest firmware?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Robert Moir

"jodyodea" <jodyodea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my new laptop has joined an existing wireless internet connection. 3 other
> machines on the network run XP and have excellent internet performance.
> the
> new Vista-based laptop has only medium connection strength and performs
> poorly in web browsing and browser frequently crashes. why is this
> happening?
> my ISP cannot help. is it default firewall issues perhaps?

The firewall has nothing to do with connection strength, in the same way
that whether or not you fasten your seatbelt has nothing to do with your
car's engine getting good acceleration performance on an empty road.

Like Barb, I'd look at things like firmware versions for the wireless access
point and possibly the wireless network card in the laptop. It may also be a
driver issue for this network card.

Joe Guidera

Re: vista machine performing badly on wireless network
It might also be auto-tuning causing issue with the specific router (though
Vista does it's best to determine when auto-tuning should be disabled).

Joe