Remote desktop settings

T5

Remote desktop settings
I have my home PC running Vista HP and I have my laptop running win xp home,
can I remotely connect to my vista HP machine from my laptop? and if so,
please tell me how to configure my machines to enable me to do this. I am
also using Norton protection centre 2007 so please tell me how to configure
my firewall etc etc.

My machines are wirelessley connected through a BT home hub, my main PC is
host and all other machines access the internet wirelessly through a
residential gateway.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote desktop settings
Vista Home Premium can *NOT* act as a Remote Desktop host. That is by
design. Some versions of VNC may be Vista compatible so you could use that
as an alternative...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

"T5" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have my home PC running Vista HP and I have my laptop running win xp
>home, can I remotely connect to my vista HP machine from my laptop? and if
>so, please tell me how to configure my machines to enable me to do this. I
>am also using Norton protection centre 2007 so please tell me how to
>configure my firewall etc etc.
>
> My machines are wirelessley connected through a BT home hub, my main PC is
> host and all other machines access the internet wirelessly through a
> residential gateway.

Mike

Re: Remote desktop settings
Any Idea what version of VNC will work? I have tried version 4.1 with no
luck. I allow it when my McAfee asks but it is still not connecting.

Thanks in advance.

> Vista Home Premium can *NOT* act as a Remote Desktop host. That is by
> design. Some versions of VNC may be Vista compatible so you could use that
> as an alternative...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "T5" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have my home PC running Vista HP and I have my laptop running win xp
>>home, can I remotely connect to my vista HP machine from my laptop? and if
>>so, please tell me how to configure my machines to enable me to do this. I
>>am also using Norton protection centre 2007 so please tell me how to
>>configure my firewall etc etc.
>>
>> My machines are wirelessley connected through a BT home hub, my main PC
>> is host and all other machines access the internet wirelessly through a
>> residential gateway.

Mike

Re: Remote desktop settings
Update on VNC Version 4.12...
I did get the version above to work with no issues on my local network and
accessing it from the outside with Windows Vista PC running as the server.