printer sharing on vista to vista network

mikey61's Avatar

Location: Cambridge UK
mikey61 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
printer sharing on vista to vista network
I have two m/cs running vista business 32 bit, a dell vostro 400 tower and a toshiba satellite pro laptop. The laptop connects to the Dell wirelessley and internet access and file sharing etc all work fine.

The tower is the file server and has a canon MP210 and an HP laserjet 1018 connected both via usb. Both printers work fine as direct connect from the tower and are set up as shared printers for the network. Both have the "Render print jobs on client computers" boxes ticked

On the laptop I have set up both of these printers as network printers to be found on the Dell.

I can print fine on the MP210 from the laptop via the Dell although it is a bit slow.

When I print from the laptop to the HP laserjet on the Dell this also is slow but clearly shows the print job as cleared on the laptop eventually. On the Dell however it shows as "document printing..." but never actually prints out.

Once this happens it prevents me printing anything else from the Dell itself even tho' it is directly connected to the HP, because the 1st print job from the laptop has not completed. If I try deleting the print job from the queue on the Dell it shows as deleting, but again, never actually does..... so eventually I switch off the Dell and the HP printer, refire both... then the held up jobs all print OK on the HP automatically without any manual intervention from me.

I thought of installing a UPD (Universal Printer Driver)from the HP website but there isn't one for the Laserjet 1018 (or that series). I have seen a similar prob with XP and vista printing where the suggestion seemed to be re-install the HP on the client laptop as a local printer and then when asked for the port specify the HP printer network address but it wasn't actually precisely clear that this was to be done on the client.

One of the frustrating things is that everything worked fine when had older latop running XP!!!!

Any suggestions please?

Also can I speed up the process?

Thanks

Last edited by mikey61 : 03-30-2010 at 22:31.
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: printer sharing on vista to vista network
In most cases, this is printer driver. Find the latest primer driver for
your OS.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"mikey61" <mikey61.48n9gf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have two m/cs running vista business 32 bit, a dell vostro 400 tower
> and a toshiba satellite pro laptop. The laptop connects to the Dell
> wirelessley and internet access and file sharing etc all work fine.
>
> The tower is the file server and has a canon MP210 and an HP laserjet
> 1018 connected both via usb. Both printers work fine from the laptop
> and are set up as shared printers for the network. Both have the "Render
> print jobs on client computers" boxes ticked
>
> On the laptop I have installed both of these printers as network
> printers to be found on the Dell.
>
> I can print fine on the MP210 from the laptop although it is a bit
> slow.
>
> When I print from the laptop to the HP this also is slow but clearly
> shows the print job as cleared on the laptop eventually. On the Dell
> however it shows as printing but never actually prints.
>
> Once this happens it prevents me printing anything else from the Dell
> itself even tho' it is directly connected to the HP, because the 1st
> print job from the laptop has not completed. If I try deleting the print
> job from the queue on the Dell it shows as deleting, but again, never
> actually does..... so eventually I switch off the Dell and the HP
> printer, refire both... then the held up jobs all print OK on the HP
> automatically without any manual intervention from me.
>
> I thought of installing a UPD (Universal Printer Driver)from the HP
> website but there isn't one for the Laserjet 1018 (or that series). I
> have seen a similar prob with XP and vista printing where the suggestion
> seemed to be re-install the HP on the client laptop as a local printer
> and then when asked for the port specify the HP printer network address
> but it wasn't actually precisely clear that this was to be done on the
> client.
>

> One of the frustrating things is that everything worked fine when had
> older latop running XP!!!!
>
> Any suggestions please?
>
> Also can I speed up the process?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> mikey61

mikey61's Avatar

Location: Cambridge UK
mikey61 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: printer sharing on vista to vista network
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey61 View Post
[...]

Thanks Bob

I have seen lots of occurrences of this prob elsewhere on the internet. There have been a number of suuested remedies. I have currently even lost the ability to print locally on the HP 1018 now after deleting all printer files and re-installing following carefully the instructions about when to connect the usb cable and power up etc. But that re-istallation was using the original HP instn. disk and driver . I believ the last time that I could print loaclly (if not from another m/c on my network) was when I deleted everthing and re-installed from the HP support website. I will do this again and see what happens. I believe that it is likely that the problem of shared printing may lie with the spooler. Other suggestions are to shut of UAC in Vista. I certainly can't alter the printer settings to print directly ( only by sppooling). When I do the system won't save the altered params but comes up with ... couldn't be completed error 0x0000070c.