Why does PPPOE want a username and password?

Stephen Anders

Why does PPPOE want a username and password?
I'm trying to set up a Home Basic laptop to access the Internet through a
broadband router using an ethernet cable. This should be easy, but Vista
seems to only offer wireless, dial-up or PPPOE with username and password.
But the ISP doesn't give out usernames and passwords, 'cos the router is
proprietary and does all those usual DHCP/DNS and NATty things and gives the
client 192.168.1.xx etc. etc. Why does Vista want a username and password
for PPPOE? And more to the point, how do I get round this?

Thanks,

Steve.

GTS

Re: Why does PPPOE want a username and password?
If you are connecting to a router you probably don't need to set up a
connection at all. (A PPPOE logon if required is normally configured to be
done by the router.) The Local Area Connection for your Ethernet port
should be all you need. Have you in tried to access the Internet? Are you
getting an IP address from the router? Please run ipconfig in a command
prompt and report the results.

"Stephen Anders" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
> I'm trying to set up a Home Basic laptop to access the Internet through a
> broadband router using an ethernet cable. This should be easy, but Vista
> seems to only offer wireless, dial-up or PPPOE with username and password.
> But the ISP doesn't give out usernames and passwords, 'cos the router is
> proprietary and does all those usual DHCP/DNS and NATty things and gives
> the client 192.168.1.xx etc. etc. Why does Vista want a username and
> password for PPPOE? And more to the point, how do I get round this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve.

ramachandran

Re: Why does PPPOE want a username and password?
If you have not been provided with a username and passwd by ur ISP or a
connection dialer you dont need one to access the internet. As pointe out
below just check if you are getting an IP address. You can just open IE and
start accessing the net. You should have connectivity

thanks
Aanand