Duplicate Vista system name and document folders.

-Tom

Duplicate Vista system name and document folders.
Twice in the past two days, suddenly, while trying to access shared folders
on the Vista (Home Premium) system, I received the message, "You were not
connected because a duplicate name exists on the network." I renamed the
Vista system and rebooted. Then the old and new names appeared in My Network
Places on a networked XP notebook; the original name, as might be expected,
was a 'dead' link. But I was then able to access the shared folders on the
Vista system with the new name. I then renamed the Vista back to the original
name and rebooted. Then only that name appeared in My Network Places and I
was able to access the shared folders.

So, what would be causing the duplicate name to suddenly appear on the
network?

What can be done to avoid it?

Also, several days ago a duplicate (not a shortcut) of my Documents folder
appeared in the my Users folder, Tom. Both, via Properties, indicate they are
not shared. However, one has a shared icon and, for both, when I click Share
on the Toolbar, a message appears stating that the folder is already shared.

I'm afraid if I try to delete one folder I'll delete all the content of the
other, too.

Is this a know problem?

What can be done to avoid and/or fix it?

BTW, I've only had this system a little over two weeks and have spent most
of my time (25+ hours) trying to work around numerous Vista bugs and
annoyances.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Duplicate Vista system name and document folders.
Try to disable IPv6. Please post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"-Tom" <-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:486ED3B4-453D-4F3E-AD13-8529445152E1@microsoft.com...
[...]

Bob,

Once again, I have a duplicate name of the Vista system and, therefore,
cannot access it. IPv6 has been disabled since Saturday.

So, again, I will change the name in order to access shared folders.

-Tom

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Try to disable IPv6. Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "-Tom" <-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:486ED3B4-453D-4F3E-AD13-8529445152E1@microsoft.com...
> Twice in the past two days, suddenly, while trying to access shared folders
> on the Vista (Home Premium) system, I received the message, "You were not
> connected because a duplicate name exists on the network." I renamed the
> Vista system and rebooted. Then the old and new names appeared in My Network
> Places on a networked XP notebook; the original name, as might be expected,
> was a 'dead' link. But I was then able to access the shared folders on the
> Vista system with the new name. I then renamed the Vista back to the original
> name and rebooted. Then only that name appeared in My Network Places and I
> was able to access the shared folders.
>
> So, what would be causing the duplicate name to suddenly appear on the
> network?
>
> What can be done to avoid it?
>
> Also, several days ago a duplicate (not a shortcut) of my Documents folder
> appeared in the my Users folder, Tom. Both, via Properties, indicate they are
> not shared. However, one has a shared icon and, for both, when I click Share
> on the Toolbar, a message appears stating that the folder is already shared.
>
> I'm afraid if I try to delete one folder I'll delete all the content of the
> other, too.
>
> Is this a know problem?
>
> What can be done to avoid and/or fix it?
>
> BTW, I've only had this system a little over two weeks and have spent most
> of my time (25+ hours) trying to work around numerous Vista bugs and
> annoyances

-Tom

Re: Duplicate Vista system name and document folders.
Here's more information on the problem.

After renaming and rebooting the Vista system, both the old (duplicate) and
new names appear on the Network list; the new one allows me access to the
shared folders on the Vista system, the old name is not accessible, still
treated at a duplicate.

When I reboot once more, briefly the old name appears on the list with the
shared folder accessible but within less than a minute it disappears from the
list (i.e., when I open a new network list it no longer is there), leaving
only the renamed system with shared access.

I hope this gives someone a clue about what's happening...

-Tom

"-Tom" wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Once again, I have a duplicate name of the Vista system and, therefore,
> cannot access it. IPv6 has been disabled since Saturday.
>
> So, again, I will change the name in order to access shared folders.
>
> -Tom
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Try to disable IPv6. Please post back with the result.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "-Tom" <-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:486ED3B4-453D-4F3E-AD13-8529445152E1@microsoft.com...
> > Twice in the past two days, suddenly, while trying to access shared folders
> > on the Vista (Home Premium) system, I received the message, "You were not
> > connected because a duplicate name exists on the network." I renamed the
> > Vista system and rebooted. Then the old and new names appeared in My Network
> > Places on a networked XP notebook; the original name, as might be expected,
> > was a 'dead' link. But I was then able to access the shared folders on the
> > Vista system with the new name. I then renamed the Vista back to the original
> > name and rebooted. Then only that name appeared in My Network Places and I
> > was able to access the shared folders.
> >
> > So, what would be causing the duplicate name to suddenly appear on the
> > network?
> >
> > What can be done to avoid it?
> >
> > Also, several days ago a duplicate (not a shortcut) of my Documents folder
> > appeared in the my Users folder, Tom. Both, via Properties, indicate they are
> > not shared. However, one has a shared icon and, for both, when I click Share
> > on the Toolbar, a message appears stating that the folder is already shared.
> >
> > I'm afraid if I try to delete one folder I'll delete all the content of the
> > other, too.
> >
> > Is this a know problem?
> >
> > What can be done to avoid and/or fix it?
> >
> > BTW, I've only had this system a little over two weeks and have spent most
> > of my time (25+ hours) trying to work around numerous Vista bugs and
> > annoyances

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Duplicate Vista system name and document folders.
Any errors in the event viewer? Also you may want to use browstat to check the master browser status.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"-Tom" wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Once again, I have a duplicate name of the Vista system and, therefore,
> cannot access it. IPv6 has been disabled since Saturday.
>
> So, again, I will change the name in order to access shared folders.
>
> -Tom
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Try to disable IPv6. Please post back with the result.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "-Tom" <-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:486ED3B4-453D-4F3E-AD13-8529445152E1@microsoft.com...
> > Twice in the past two days, suddenly, while trying to access shared folders
> > on the Vista (Home Premium) system, I received the message, "You were not
> > connected because a duplicate name exists on the network." I renamed the
> > Vista system and rebooted. Then the old and new names appeared in My Network
> > Places on a networked XP notebook; the original name, as might be expected,
> > was a 'dead' link. But I was then able to access the shared folders on the
> > Vista system with the new name. I then renamed the Vista back to the original
> > name and rebooted. Then only that name appeared in My Network Places and I
> > was able to access the shared folders.
> >
> > So, what would be causing the duplicate name to suddenly appear on the
> > network?
> >
> > What can be done to avoid it?
> >
> > Also, several days ago a duplicate (not a shortcut) of my Documents folder
> > appeared in the my Users folder, Tom. Both, via Properties, indicate they are
> > not shared. However, one has a shared icon and, for both, when I click Share
> > on the Toolbar, a message appears stating that the folder is already shared.
> >
> > I'm afraid if I try to delete one folder I'll delete all the content of the
> > other, too.
> >
> > Is this a know problem?
> >
> > What can be done to avoid and/or fix it?
> >
> > BTW, I've only had this system a little over two weeks and have spent most
> > of my time (25+ hours) trying to work around numerous Vista bugs and
> > annoyances

Alcheme

Re: Duplicate Vista system name and document folders.

An Easy Fix.

1. Goto: Start Menu > Run > Type regedit

2. Goto:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

3. Edit String: 'Personal' > Change to the Drive/Folder that you want
as 'My Documents' (contains all your user folders).

4. Close and Restart Your Computer.

After the restart you will no longer have duplicate user folders.

~ Shane K.

--
Alcheme