File & Folder sharing between Win 7, Vista & XP

jetjock

File & Folder sharing between Win 7, Vista & XP
Just when I thought Win 7 had finally made networking easier!

From my desktop with Win 7 I can access and control all shared files &
folders on both my Vista Laptop & a XP desktop. However, even after
enabling folder sharing with full permission on the Win 7 machine, the
other two machines can SEE the folder on Win 7 but cannot access the
contents of the folder.

When I right click the folder and select "Share with" I get "Nobody
(Padlocked)" "Homegroup (Read)", Homegroup (Read/Write)" and "Specific
People". I click on "Homegroup (Read/Write) and the folder becomes
visible on Vista & XP, but it can't be accessed and the padlock symbol
remains on Win 7 folder. The only folder that can be accessed by the
XP & Vista machines is "Users", and I haven't even tried to share that
one; it was just there by default!

How can I get out of this "Homegroup" BS and get back to the simple
"Workgroup" environment I had before, and/or get the Win 7 folders
shareable with my Vista & XP machines (which by the way worked just
fine & still do when I boot back into XP on my Win 7 machine).
jetjock

Re: File & Folder sharing between Win 7, Vista & XP
Please disregard previous post. I got a copy of Network Magic and it
solved all my (network) problems!
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: File & Folder sharing between Win 7, Vista & XP
Hi
If the magic is gone in the future.
Win 7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network has three types of Sharing
configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win 7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration (some menu in locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem for a compute to
adopt)
So, maybe this can Help.
Firewall instructions.
Win -7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
Win7 Work Network with a little visual help),
,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"jetjock" <jetjock@hanger.com> wrote in message
> Please disregard previous post. I got a copy of Network Magic and it
> solved all my (network) problems!

jetjock

Re: File & Folder sharing between Win 7, Vista & XP
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info. Copied it into my saved folder for future
reference.