Access other conputer on network

jerry

Access other conputer on network
Hi, I recently contact my ISP following Internet intermittent disconnection.
They come and changed the Modem which now has a router in it. Prior set-up
was an older generation of Modem and I had added a Dlink router when I
purchased a laptop and wanted to access shared folder via the network. On the
network & sharing windo I see both computer when when I try to access one
another I received a message that they cannont communicate and when
diagnose=network path not foundinged but no response. I search over
(remembering having difficulties at my first set-up) but could'nt find what
settings to change. When I run the Network Wizard I fall on a step saying
window cannot automatically configure and then the new modem/router
configuration page (192.168.2.1) opens but I d'ont know where to go from
there...

I consulted network set-up article without success...
Window firewall is on and McAffee Firewall is off.

Can anyone guide me?
Thanks.
Jerry
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Access other conputer on network
Hi
If the new modem is a Modem/Router do not use a second Router.
Do not use any Wizard, use the web menu (using the browser) of the new
Router to manually configure it to your liking.
Search the web for a manual for the new Modem/Router, and follow its
instructions.
If the new Modem/Router is Not Wireless and you want to add Wireless, then
use a second Wireless Router and configure it like this.
Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).