Win 7 WPAD stops working

Jeff Vandervoort

Win 7 WPAD stops working
I use my Win 7 notebook on an office network with a proxy during the day,
and on my home network w/o proxy at night. Used to be that WPAD configured
the proxy settings for me, but it stopped working a week or two ago; don't
recall when. I have to manually turn on "Use a proxy server" at the office
and turn it off again at home. "Automatically detect settings" is turned on.

Any idea how I can get it working again?

--
Jeff Vandervoort
JRVsystems

Jeff Vandervoort

Re: Win 7 WPAD stops working
I guess I should also mention that WPAD is working elsewhere in the office
network, despite not working not on my machine. And I can download
http://wpad.domainname.local/wpad.dat on my machine.

--
Jeff Vandervoort
JRVsystems

"Jeff Vandervoort" <jeffv at jrvsystems dot com> wrote in message
> I use my Win 7 notebook on an office network with a proxy during the day,
> and on my home network w/o proxy at night. Used to be that WPAD configured
> the proxy settings for me, but it stopped working a week or two ago; don't
> recall when. I have to manually turn on "Use a proxy server" at the office
> and turn it off again at home. "Automatically detect settings" is turned
> on.
>
> Any idea how I can get it working again?
>
> --
> Jeff Vandervoort
> JRVsystems
> http://www.jrvsystems.com

Jeff Vandervoort

Re: Win 7 WPAD stops working
More info, in the increasingly unlikely case that anyone can actually help
with this...

I renamed the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\Wpad key, and let Windows create a new one. And it did, and with
the same values as were previously set for these networks.

Home network (no proxy):
WpadDecision = 0
WpadDecisionReason = 1

Work network (proxy):
WpadDecision = 1
WpadDecisionReason = 0

Since I don't find documentation for these registry values, I don't know if
the right decision is being reached, but given that they're opposite,
there's a good chance. It's clearly detecting a difference.

So then the question becomes, why isn't Windows changing proxy settings
between the two systems?