Printer sharing between Vista & XP Pro

ttboy

Printer sharing between Vista & XP Pro
Just purchased a PC running Vista. Hooked up an HP 1012 Laserjet printer to
the Vista PC and prints fine. Have a laptop running XP Pro and can't print
or even see the Vista PC on the network. I have setup the printer sharing,
turned on the Discovery in Vista, disabled the firewalls, created the same
group on both PC's but no luck. I've been through alot of the tech pages and
nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Thanks.
Chuck

Re: Printer sharing between Vista & XP Pro
On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:13:00 -0700, ttboy <ttboy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Just purchased a PC running Vista. Hooked up an HP 1012 Laserjet printer to
>the Vista PC and prints fine. Have a laptop running XP Pro and can't print
>or even see the Vista PC on the network. I have setup the printer sharing,
>turned on the Discovery in Vista, disabled the firewalls, created the same
>group on both PC's but no luck. I've been through alot of the tech pages and
>nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you verified that both computers have connectivity in general? That's the
first step.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

How did you disable the Vista firewall? Is the Vista computer getting DHCP
service?

Look at both "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from each computer, which
should help us to diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles,
and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Rob

Re: Printer sharing between Vista & XP Pro
Me too, then I found this:

"ttboy" <ttboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased a PC running Vista. Hooked up an HP 1012 Laserjet printer
> the Vista PC and prints fine. Have a laptop running XP Pro and can't
> print
> or even see the Vista PC on the network. I have setup the printer
> sharing,
> turned on the Discovery in Vista, disabled the firewalls, created the same
> group on both PC's but no luck. I've been through alot of the tech pages
> and
> nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Thanks.

afrikaner

RE: Printer sharing between Vista & XP Pro
Try:

1. Download the Windows Vista printer driver for the printer.
2. Install the driver on your Windows Vista computer. During
installation, you'll be prompted to connect the printer to your computer.
Choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting the printer.
3. After installation completes, open the Printers applet from the
Windows Vista Control Panel.
4. Right-click on the new printer and choose Properties.
5. Go to the Ports tab.
6. Click Add Port…, select Local Port, then click New Port…
7. For the port name, enter exactly the network path and share name of
your printer (e.g. \\RECEPTION\name_of_your_shared_printer).
8. Click OK, and double-check that this new port is selected with the
checkbox next to it.
9. Click OK to close the printer properties.

http://www.kevinyank.com/blog/archiv...vista#comments

10. The only other thing I did was turn the check box tick that said that
the printer would work offline. ie make sure is on-line.

If all else fails try network magic software