Connecting Vista to the Internet Using LAN

sandman101

Connecting Vista to the Internet Using LAN
Okay this is starting to get irritating! I work offshore and we use a
satellite to connect to the internet. I use XP but more people are coming
here with Vista on their laptops and they cannot connect to the internet.
Since I am the resident "expert" (I use that term loosely) they come ask me
to fix it.
It will say it's connected but it won't let them on.
We have tried all the standard stuff in internet options and control panel
with no success.
The Repair function says it cannot be fixed by the computer.
XP works just fine to connect!
Any Suggestions?

Chuck

Re: Connecting Vista to the Internet Using LAN
On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:25:00 -0700, sandman101
<sandman101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Okay this is starting to get irritating! I work offshore and we use a
>satellite to connect to the internet. I use XP but more people are coming
>here with Vista on their laptops and they cannot connect to the internet.
>Since I am the resident "expert" (I use that term loosely) they come ask me
>to fix it.
> It will say it's connected but it won't let them on.
>We have tried all the standard stuff in internet options and control panel
>with no success.
>The Repair function says it cannot be fixed by the computer.
>XP works just fine to connect!
>Any Suggestions?

What router do you have, providing connectivity? Does the router support DHCP
broadcast? If not, turn DHCP broadcast off.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Other than DHCP broadcast, a computer running Vista should work the same as a
computer running XP, as to connecting to the Internet. Give it the right IP
settings, from your DHCP server, and it should have no problem.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...iagnosing.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
sandman101

Re: Connecting Vista to the Internet Using LAN
Thanks for the response!
The company name is SkyEdge.
The only names I can see on the unit is Tripp-lite and SmartPro UPS. It's
built into a case and I can't risk trying to take it apart to see any more.
I have no idea if it supports DCHP.

Right now the error that this particular computer is getting is
"Cannot communicate with DNS Server.
Network diagnostics pinged but the remote host did not receive a response."
Chuck

Re: Connecting Vista to the Internet Using LAN
On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:25:00 -0700, sandman101
<sandman101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the response!
>The company name is SkyEdge.
>The only names I can see on the unit is Tripp-lite and SmartPro UPS. It's
>built into a case and I can't risk trying to take it apart to see any more.
>I have no idea if it supports DCHP.
>
>Right now the error that this particular computer is getting is
>"Cannot communicate with DNS Server.
>Network diagnostics pinged but the remote host did not receive a response."

Well, a Tripp-lite SmartPro UPS is a big battery that provides clean, reliable
electrical power in case of power fluctuations and outages. That has nothing to
do with routing. When people bring their laptops, do they connect using
Ethernet, or by radio?

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
GTS

Re: Connecting Vista to the Internet Using LAN
Maybe these links will help.

SkyEdge
http://www.gilatnetworks.com/content...page=SkyEdgeIP

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx