Printer Sharing. Must "Share name" match printername, on all computers?

Printer Sharing. Must "Share name" match printername, on all computers?
Three different computers, running three OSs; Vista Home Premium, XP Pro,
and Win7 Pro 64-bit.

My Vista laptop used to be connected to a certain Canon printer, and its
name in Control Panel/Printers is "Canon iP6700D" and when I click on
Properties, and the Share tab, that is also the spelling of the "Share
name".

If I am trying to network to that Canon printer, which is now hard-cabled to
my Win7 computer, should I delete that printer reference on the Vista
laptop, using Control Panel? I wonder if having that entry in the Vista
system is somehow a problem in my efforts to nework it.

The Win7 computer is hard-cabled to that Canon printer. In Control panel,
the name under the icon for that printer is Canon Inkjet iP6700D, and in the
Sharing tab under printer properties the Share name is exactly the same.

I did manage to setup network access to that printer on the XP computer, by
setting up the port using the computername of the Win7 computer. BTW, this
same printer used to be hard-cabled to this XP, and there was already an
icon for the printer before I bought the new computer. In Control panel, the
name associated with the printer icon is "Canon iP6700D" but the Share name,
in the properties/sharing tab, is "CanoniP" Regardless of this difference,
I can print to the Canon just fine.

Is it known for certain that it is important for all names, including the
Share names, to be the same on all three computers? If it is, how would I
go about making all the names the same? Would renaming in Control panel
screw up something?

I think that I should know the unequivocal facts about printernames and
Share names before I make any more frustrating attempts to network the
printer to my Vistap laptop. If and when I get that done, I will start on
networking the HP Laser!

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printer Sharing. Must "Share name" match printername, on all computers?
It is better to have shared printer name without space.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

<rsl18@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Three different computers, running three OSs; Vista Home Premium, XP Pro,
> and Win7 Pro 64-bit.
>
> My Vista laptop used to be connected to a certain Canon printer, and its
> name in Control Panel/Printers is "Canon iP6700D" and when I click on
> Properties, and the Share tab, that is also the spelling of the "Share
> name".
>
> If I am trying to network to that Canon printer, which is now hard-cabled
> to my Win7 computer, should I delete that printer reference on the Vista
> laptop, using Control Panel? I wonder if having that entry in the Vista
> system is somehow a problem in my efforts to nework it.
>
> The Win7 computer is hard-cabled to that Canon printer. In Control panel,
> the name under the icon for that printer is Canon Inkjet iP6700D, and in
> the Sharing tab under printer properties the Share name is exactly the
> same.
>
> I did manage to setup network access to that printer on the XP computer,
> by setting up the port using the computername of the Win7 computer. BTW,
> this same printer used to be hard-cabled to this XP, and there was already
> an icon for the printer before I bought the new computer. In Control
> panel, the name associated with the printer icon is "Canon iP6700D" but
> the Share name, in the properties/sharing tab, is "CanoniP" Regardless of
> this difference, I can print to the Canon just fine.
>
> Is it known for certain that it is important for all names, including the
> Share names, to be the same on all three computers? If it is, how would I
> go about making all the names the same? Would renaming in Control panel
> screw up something?
>
> I think that I should know the unequivocal facts about printernames and
> Share names before I make any more frustrating attempts to network the
> printer to my Vistap laptop. If and when I get that done, I will start on
> networking the HP Laser!

Re: Printer Sharing. Must "Share name" match printername, on all computers?
So should I go into Control Panel on each of the three computers and rename
the printer with a name that is short and has no spaces, and change the
Share name to the same name? Does renaming a printer in this way screw up
any exitsing functionality?

I can print to that Canon from two computers already. If I do nothing else
but the renaming mentioned above, do I screw something up?
"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> It is better to have shared printer name without space.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> <rsl18@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Three different computers, running three OSs; Vista Home Premium, XP Pro,
>> and Win7 Pro 64-bit.
>>
>> My Vista laptop used to be connected to a certain Canon printer, and its
>> name in Control Panel/Printers is "Canon iP6700D" and when I click on
>> Properties, and the Share tab, that is also the spelling of the "Share
>> name".
>>
>> If I am trying to network to that Canon printer, which is now hard-cabled
>> to my Win7 computer, should I delete that printer reference on the Vista
>> laptop, using Control Panel? I wonder if having that entry in the Vista
>> system is somehow a problem in my efforts to nework it.
>>
>> The Win7 computer is hard-cabled to that Canon printer. In Control panel,
>> the name under the icon for that printer is Canon Inkjet iP6700D, and in
>> the Sharing tab under printer properties the Share name is exactly the
>> same.
>>
>> I did manage to setup network access to that printer on the XP computer,
>> by setting up the port using the computername of the Win7 computer. BTW,
>> this same printer used to be hard-cabled to this XP, and there was
>> already an icon for the printer before I bought the new computer. In
>> Control panel, the name associated with the printer icon is "Canon
>> iP6700D" but the Share name, in the properties/sharing tab, is "CanoniP"
>> Regardless of this difference, I can print to the Canon just fine.
>>
>> Is it known for certain that it is important for all names, including the
>> Share names, to be the same on all three computers? If it is, how would
>> I go about making all the names the same? Would renaming in Control
>> panel screw up something?
>>
>> I think that I should know the unequivocal facts about printernames and
>> Share names before I make any more frustrating attempts to network the
>> printer to my Vistap laptop. If and when I get that done, I will start
>> on networking the HP Laser!

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: Printer Sharing. Must "Share name" match printername, on all computers?

<rsl18@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> Is it known for certain that it is important for all names,
> including the Share names, to be the same on all three computers?

It does not matter if the printer name and share name match. You can
change the printer name to anything you like, and other machines can
still use it as long as you don't change the share name. If you do
change the share name, you have to go back to each of the networked
computers and re-connect to the new share name.

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's
something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.

smlunatick

On Mar 4, 5:32*pm, <rs...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> So should I go into Control Panel on each of the three computers and rename
> the printer with a name that is short and has no spaces, and change the
> Share name to the same name? *Does renaming a printer in this way screwup
> any exitsing functionality?
>
> I can print to that Canon from two computers already. *If I do nothing else
> but the renaming mentioned above, do I screw something up?
> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <nore...@chicagotech.net> wrote in messagenews:EB403091-636C-4CAC-9F10-A1A4711495A5@microsoft.com...
>
> > It is better to have shared printer name without space.

> > --
> > Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> >http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> >http://www.HowToNetworking.com

> > <rs...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> Three different computers, running three OSs; Vista Home Premium, XP Pro,
> >> and Win7 Pro 64-bit.

> >> My Vista laptop used to be connected to a certain Canon printer, and its
> >> name in Control Panel/Printers is "Canon iP6700D" and when I click on
> >> Properties, and the Share tab, that is also the spelling of the "Share
> >> name".

> >> If I am trying to network to that Canon printer, which is now hard-cabled
> >> to my Win7 computer, should I delete that printer reference on the Vista
> >> laptop, using Control Panel? *I wonder if having that entry in the Vista
> >> system is somehow a problem in my efforts to nework it.

> >> The Win7 computer is hard-cabled to that Canon printer. In Control panel,
> >> the name under the icon for that printer is Canon Inkjet iP6700D, and in
> >> the Sharing tab under printer properties the Share name is exactly the
> >> same.

> >> I did manage to setup network access to that printer on the XP computer,
> >> by setting up the port using the computername of the Win7 computer. *BTW,
> >> this same printer used to be hard-cabled to this XP, and there was
> >> already an icon for the printer before I bought the new computer. In
> >> Control panel, the name associated with the printer icon is "Canon
> >> iP6700D" but the Share name, in the properties/sharing tab, is "CanoniP"
> >> Regardless of this difference, I can print to the Canon just fine.

> >> Is it known for certain that it is important for all names, including the
> >> Share names, to be the same on all three computers? *If it is, how would
> >> I go about making all the names the same? *Would renaming in Control
> >> panel screw up something?

> >> I think that I should know the unequivocal facts about printernames and
> >> Share names before I make any more frustrating attempts to network the
> >> printer to my Vistap laptop. *If and when I get that done, I will start
> >> on networking the HP Laser!

NO. The functionality would not be affected. Share names are "names"
to connect to this printer from the "other" PCs