Question about using Robocopy or RichCopy over a home network

Charlie Hoffpauir

Question about using Robocopy or RichCopy over a home network
First disclaimer... I'me really a network novice.

I've used XXCOPY and Robocopy to successfully back up entire volumes
to an eSATA connected drive, but when I try to do the same to a newly
acquired NAS drive, it doesn't work right. Instead of copying "only"
the files that are new (or changed since the last backup), Robocopy
copies every file over again.

And XXCOPY (free version) won't copy at all to the NAS drive. I
downloaded the 60day trial of XXCOPY home, and it does work right,
(except it recopies lots of zipped files) but XXCOPY home costs $40.

Here's a typical command (from a batch file) for each:

Robocopy E: \\DLINK\Volume_1\E-BACKUP /MIR /R:1 /W:1

and

xxcopy e:\ \\dlink\volume_1\e-backup /clone/ff

I also found RichCopy, which I tried, and find it also copies files
that are already in place on the NAS drive.

Could it be that I have a problem with the way I've set up the NAS?

I'm probably overlooking something basic, and if so would really
appreciate some advice.

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Question about using Robocopy or RichCopy over a home network
Hi
Most NAS drives have 3rd party FAT format that depending on the Utility used
might not be fully compatible with Windows NTFS.
Take a look at the NAS' support site to assess the situation.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Charlie Hoffpauir" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> First disclaimer... I'me really a network novice.
>
> I've used XXCOPY and Robocopy to successfully back up entire volumes
> to an eSATA connected drive, but when I try to do the same to a newly
> acquired NAS drive, it doesn't work right. Instead of copying "only"
> the files that are new (or changed since the last backup), Robocopy
> copies every file over again.
>
> And XXCOPY (free version) won't copy at all to the NAS drive. I
> downloaded the 60day trial of XXCOPY home, and it does work right,
> (except it recopies lots of zipped files) but XXCOPY home costs $40.
>
> Here's a typical command (from a batch file) for each:
>
> Robocopy E: \\DLINK\Volume_1\E-BACKUP /MIR /R:1 /W:1
>
> and
>
> xxcopy e:\ \\dlink\volume_1\e-backup /clone/ff
>
> I also found RichCopy, which I tried, and find it also copies files
> that are already in place on the NAS drive.
>
> Could it be that I have a problem with the way I've set up the NAS?
>
> I'm probably overlooking something basic, and if so would really
> appreciate some advice.
>
> Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson

Charlie Hoffpauir

Re: Question about using Robocopy or RichCopy over a home network
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:53:09 -0500, "Jack [MVP-Networking]"
<jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote:

>Hi
>Most NAS drives have 3rd party FAT format that depending on the Utility used
>might not be fully compatible with Windows NTFS.
>Take a look at the NAS' support site to assess the situation.
>Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
>"Charlie Hoffpauir" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
>news:gkilo5hus0t285tabb0ap1tmno1mi58rle@4ax.com.. .
>> First disclaimer... I'me really a network novice.
>>
>> I've used XXCOPY and Robocopy to successfully back up entire volumes
>> to an eSATA connected drive, but when I try to do the same to a newly
>> acquired NAS drive, it doesn't work right. Instead of copying "only"
>> the files that are new (or changed since the last backup), Robocopy
>> copies every file over again.
>>
>> And XXCOPY (free version) won't copy at all to the NAS drive. I
>> downloaded the 60day trial of XXCOPY home, and it does work right,
>> (except it recopies lots of zipped files) but XXCOPY home costs $40.
>>
>> Here's a typical command (from a batch file) for each:
>>
>> Robocopy E: \\DLINK\Volume_1\E-BACKUP /MIR /R:1 /W:1
>>
>> and
>>
>> xxcopy e:\ \\dlink\volume_1\e-backup /clone/ff
>>
>> I also found RichCopy, which I tried, and find it also copies files
>> that are already in place on the NAS drive.
>>
>> Could it be that I have a problem with the way I've set up the NAS?
>>
>> I'm probably overlooking something basic, and if so would really
>> appreciate some advice.
>>
>> Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson

Well, it looks like it's the NAS. I couldn't find anything on the
Dlink web site, so I removed the drive and installed it in my
computer, and fired up Computer Management, and it says it's something
other than NTFS... in fact it doesn't know what it is. So I've decided
to rethink the whole idea of "network" storage..... I'll still have a
NAS, but I'll not use it for routine backups, instead reserving it for
"archived" storage.... things not likely to be used often, but kept
safely stored away.

I appreciate your comment.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Question about using Robocopy or RichCopy over a home network
Hi
Actually the best solution is to use Windows Home server as a NAS.
Depending on what you have (in regards to old hardware), it Not that
expensive as compare to other viable solutions.
http://www.ezlan.net/WHS.html
Windows Home Server main page,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:53:09 -0500, "Jack [MVP-Networking]"
> <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>Most NAS drives have 3rd party FAT format that depending on the Utility
>>used
>>might not be fully compatible with Windows NTFS.
>>Take a look at the NAS' support site to assess the situation.
>>Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>>"Charlie Hoffpauir" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>news:gkilo5hus0t285tabb0ap1tmno1mi58rle@4ax.com. ..
>>> First disclaimer... I'me really a network novice.
>>>
>>> I've used XXCOPY and Robocopy to successfully back up entire volumes
>>> to an eSATA connected drive, but when I try to do the same to a newly
>>> acquired NAS drive, it doesn't work right. Instead of copying "only"
>>> the files that are new (or changed since the last backup), Robocopy
>>> copies every file over again.
>>>
>>> And XXCOPY (free version) won't copy at all to the NAS drive. I
>>> downloaded the 60day trial of XXCOPY home, and it does work right,
>>> (except it recopies lots of zipped files) but XXCOPY home costs $40.
>>>
>>> Here's a typical command (from a batch file) for each:
>>>
>>> Robocopy E: \\DLINK\Volume_1\E-BACKUP /MIR /R:1 /W:1
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> xxcopy e:\ \\dlink\volume_1\e-backup /clone/ff
>>>
>>> I also found RichCopy, which I tried, and find it also copies files
>>> that are already in place on the NAS drive.
>>>
>>> Could it be that I have a problem with the way I've set up the NAS?
>>>
>>> I'm probably overlooking something basic, and if so would really
>>> appreciate some advice.
>>>
>>> Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson

> Well, it looks like it's the NAS. I couldn't find anything on the
> Dlink web site, so I removed the drive and installed it in my
> computer, and fired up Computer Management, and it says it's something
> other than NTFS... in fact it doesn't know what it is. So I've decided
> to rethink the whole idea of "network" storage..... I'll still have a
> NAS, but I'll not use it for routine backups, instead reserving it for
> "archived" storage.... things not likely to be used often, but kept
> safely stored away.
>
> I appreciate your comment.
> --
> Charlie Hoffpauir
>
> Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson

Charlie Hoffpauir

Re: Question about using Robocopy or RichCopy over a home network
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 13:22:32 -0500, "Jack [MVP-Networking]"
<jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote:

>Hi
>Actually the best solution is to use Windows Home server as a NAS.
>Depending on what you have (in regards to old hardware), it Not that
>expensive as compare to other viable solutions.
>http://www.ezlan.net/WHS.html
>Windows Home Server main page,
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx
>Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

Actually I've considered that and am still considering it. I've
downloaded the WHS tryout, but not implemented it, primarily because I
don't have a "reliable" extra computer just now. That might change as
my wife is planning on upgrading to a new computer, and so her old HP
might work.

That approach would enable me to utilize lots of oldish PATA (ide)
drives that are still workable, but have no place in the new
computers.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson